125 Gallon (6ft Long) FOWLR Stocking Suggestions?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! So I've had a 125 in storage for a while now (just waiting for the space where it's going to be cleaned out) and I've been heavily leaning into making it into a FOWLR, especially after seeing puffy127's 125 FOWLR and my time in Hawaii last year, I might go for it. I don't have any specific ideas of what I want in the tank, but here's what I've been thinking of:

-Dwarf Angel of some sort. Currently leaning towards either a
Multicolor ( Centropyge multicolor)
Venustus (Centropyge venusta)
Multibar (Paracentropyge multifasciata)

What prompts me towards the Venustus and Multibar is if Biota starts reproducing them again, so that they're captive bred and in theory a lot easier to feed and more hardy than the wild ones.

-Tang of course. I'm deciding between a Biota Yellow, or a Powder Brown / Powder Blue. Aa long as the Powder Blue is Quarantined heavily, I don't think I should have any issues. Unless I can have something like a Yellow and a Powder Blue together in a 125 but less fish overall, im only going for 1 Tang.

1 Large Angelfish: If the Dwarf and large don't mix together, I'll just go for the large. Right now I'm set on a Flagfin Angelfish.

Pair of Butterflies: Maui really boosted my interest for Butterflies, I've done some looking around and if I can get a good price, I'm looking at a pair of Golden Butterflies (chaetodon semilarvatus) but if I can't, a pair of something like Aurgia (Chaetodon auriga) is a good substitute.

That's really it for now. I've seen some other things that could work, I'll just have to see how everything turns out at the beginning. Suggestions, Revisions, Advice, etc is always welcome!

Summary; 1 Tang, 2 Butterflies, 1 Large Angel, 1 Dwarf Angel

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin tusk would be cool.

smaller triggers (nijer, blue throat).

idk. But soo many possibilities if it’s a fowlr.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for dwarf angels that I couldn't keep in a reef. Like a lemonpeel, half-black, eiblii, or a combo of them. Keyhole is another really not reef-safe one that is really big for a Centropyge.

Pearlscale is a really hardy and pretty butterfly. They used to be readily available and fairly cheap.

I still wouldn't do a 'full-size' angel, because of tank size. Personally, I'd get a bellus or watanabe. That might scratch your powder blue itch.

Something like:
Yellow tang
Watanabe angel
Pearlscale butterfly
Lemonpeel angel
Eiblii angel
Half-black angel

Then add a blenny, goby, maybe a wrasse. There's also non-reefsafe inverts like bigger crabs, urchins, etc.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On angels I would suggest some of the medium sized angels such as Blueline, Regals, and Goldflakes. Those will probably max out around 8”.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in my tank.
1 neon goby
1 flame angel
1 yellow tang
1 one spot fox face
2 clarkii clowns
7 green chromis

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! So I've had a 125 in storage for a while now (just waiting for the space where it's going to be cleaned out) and I've been heavily leaning into making it into a FOWLR, especially after seeing puffy127's 125 FOWLR and my time in Hawaii last year, I might go for it. I don't have any specific ideas of what I want in the tank, but here's what I've been thinking of:

What prompts me towards the Venustus and Multibar is if Biota starts reproducing them again, so that they're captive bred and in theory a lot easier to feed and more hardy than the wild ones.

-Tang of course. I'm deciding between a Biota Yellow, or a Powder Brown / Powder Blue. Aa long as the Powder Blue is Quarantined heavily, I don't think I should have any issues. Unless I can have something like a Yellow and a Powder Blue together in a 125 but less fish overall, im only going for 1 Tang.

1 Large Angelfish: If the Dwarf and large don't mix together, I'll just go for the large. Right now I'm set on a Flagfin Angelfish.

Pair of Butterflies: Maui really boosted my interest for Butterflies, I've done some looking around and if I can get a good price, I'm looking at a pair of Golden Butterflies (chaetodon semilarvatus) but if I can't, a pair of something like Aurgia (Chaetodon auriga) is a good substitute.

That's really it for now. I've seen some other things that could work, I'll just have to see how everything turns out at the beginning. Suggestions, Revisions, Advice, etc is always welcome!

What dimensions?
Not just length but height and width will also come to play with what you can and can’t have

Last edited:

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles and gem tangs: since you only have one chance to add tangs, why not go a little high end?
Dwarf golden angel: the dark orange ish color is cool.

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love those choices. I just picked up a Venustus yesterday and he's already eating. I have a 300 Fowler and it houses some great specimens.
-Pair of Golden Butterflyfish (semilavartus)-
- Purple Tang
- Gem Tang
- Dejardini Tang
- Pair of spawning Wild True Perculas
-Emperor Angel- Transitioning
-Queen Angel- juvenile
-Flame angel
-Lemonpeel Angel
-Regal Angel
-Flame hawkfish
-Longnose hawkfish
-6 line wrasse

I have read a ton about how incompatible some of these fish are with each other, and luckily I haven't experienced that. All of my fish eat a ton, and are all very healthy. They dont pick or chase each other. Nicely harmonious. I did have a Passer angel that started out very accommodating, but when he became comfortable he began terrorizing everyone and I had to sell him. Get the fish you want and carefully introduce them. If they have enough space and are the correct temperament, they will likely get along fine. Hope that helps and good luck.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back