125 Gallon (6ft Long) FOWLR Stocking Suggestions?

TSM Aquatics

northwest_fish_keeping_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Heyo! So I've had a 125 in storage for a while now (just waiting for the space where it's going to be cleaned out) and I've been heavily leaning into making it into a FOWLR, especially after seeing puffy127's 125 FOWLR and my time in Hawaii last year, I might go for it. I don't have any specific ideas of what I want in the tank, but here's what I've been thinking of:

-Dwarf Angel of some sort. Currently leaning towards either a
Multicolor ( Centropyge multicolor)
Venustus (Centropyge venusta)
Multibar (Paracentropyge multifasciata)

What prompts me towards the Venustus and Multibar is if Biota starts reproducing them again, so that they're captive bred and in theory a lot easier to feed and more hardy than the wild ones.

-Tang of course. I'm deciding between a Biota Yellow, or a Powder Brown / Powder Blue. Aa long as the Powder Blue is Quarantined heavily, I don't think I should have any issues. Unless I can have something like a Yellow and a Powder Blue together in a 125 but less fish overall, im only going for 1 Tang.

1 Large Angelfish: If the Dwarf and large don't mix together, I'll just go for the large. Right now I'm set on a Flagfin Angelfish.

Pair of Butterflies: Maui really boosted my interest for Butterflies, I've done some looking around and if I can get a good price, I'm looking at a pair of Golden Butterflies (chaetodon semilarvatus) but if I can't, a pair of something like Aurgia (Chaetodon auriga) is a good substitute.

That's really it for now. I've seen some other things that could work, I'll just have to see how everything turns out at the beginning. Suggestions, Revisions, Advice, etc is always welcome!

Summary; 1 Tang, 2 Butterflies, 1 Large Angel, 1 Dwarf Angel

Corals.com

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would go for dwarf angels that I couldn't keep in a reef. Like a lemonpeel, half-black, eiblii, or a combo of them. Keyhole is another really not reef-safe one that is really big for a Centropyge.

Pearlscale is a really hardy and pretty butterfly. They used to be readily available and fairly cheap.

I still wouldn't do a 'full-size' angel, because of tank size. Personally, I'd get a bellus or watanabe. That might scratch your powder blue itch.

Something like:
Yellow tang
Watanabe angel
Pearlscale butterfly
Lemonpeel angel
Eiblii angel
Half-black angel

Then add a blenny, goby, maybe a wrasse. There's also non-reefsafe inverts like bigger crabs, urchins, etc.

REEFTIDE

i cant think

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Heyo! So I've had a 125 in storage for a while now (just waiting for the space where it's going to be cleaned out) and I've been heavily leaning into making it into a FOWLR, especially after seeing puffy127's 125 FOWLR and my time in Hawaii last year, I might go for it. I don't have any specific ideas of what I want in the tank, but here's what I've been thinking of:

-Dwarf Angel of some sort. Currently leaning towards either a
Multicolor ( Centropyge multicolor)
Venustus (Centropyge venusta)
Multibar (Paracentropyge multifasciata)

What prompts me towards the Venustus and Multibar is if Biota starts reproducing them again, so that they're captive bred and in theory a lot easier to feed and more hardy than the wild ones.

-Tang of course. I'm deciding between a Biota Yellow, or a Powder Brown / Powder Blue. Aa long as the Powder Blue is Quarantined heavily, I don't think I should have any issues. Unless I can have something like a Yellow and a Powder Blue together in a 125 but less fish overall, im only going for 1 Tang.

1 Large Angelfish: If the Dwarf and large don't mix together, I'll just go for the large. Right now I'm set on a Flagfin Angelfish.

Pair of Butterflies: Maui really boosted my interest for Butterflies, I've done some looking around and if I can get a good price, I'm looking at a pair of Golden Butterflies (chaetodon semilarvatus) but if I can't, a pair of something like Aurgia (Chaetodon auriga) is a good substitute.

That's really it for now. I've seen some other things that could work, I'll just have to see how everything turns out at the beginning. Suggestions, Revisions, Advice, etc is always welcome!

Summary; 1 Tang, 2 Butterflies, 1 Large Angel, 1 Dwarf Angel
What dimensions?
Not just length but height and width will also come to play with what you can and can’t have

Last edited:
TSM Aquatics

How much of your saltwater reef tank is automated?

• Nothing is automated

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • 25% or so

Votes: 74 31.5%
  • 50% or so

Votes: 52 22.1%
  • 75% or so

Votes: 55 23.4%
  • Close to 100%

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Totally Automated (we need proof)

Votes: 1 0.4%