125 gallon basement sump, tempered glass. What return pump?

AI Hydra

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.
Sicce has a Syncra HIgh Flow pump with 4200 gph. Maybe?

RAP
Avast
OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Iwaki all day long, I’m building a basement setup currently. Check out @Z&KFarmsWI build
Iwaki was my plan but since I can’t drill the sump I’d have to run the pipe over the side of the sump. You think the md100 would do well for that? Is it possible for it to start back up after a power outage without manual intervention?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Zach B

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)

OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)
Thanks for all the info! I will definitely try the glasses trick!

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

When is the last time you purchased cleanup crew critters?

• Past few days

Votes: 41 11.7%
  • Past few weeks

Votes: 99 28.3%
  • Past few months

Votes: 115 32.9%
  • Over a half a year

Votes: 47 13.4%
  • Over a year ago

Votes: 44 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.1%