125 gallon basement sump, tempered glass. What return pump?

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your total system is less than 180 gal the COR20 is submersible and can do the job and is very silent.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.
Sicce has a Syncra HIgh Flow pump with 4200 gph. Maybe?

OP
OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 240 with basement sump and use a Sicce SDC 9.0 at 75% capacity.
I’m assuming you get good flow in your DT and what not? It’s definitely affordable, thank you for the input!

OP
OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decent flow but I don’t rely on that for my flow in the tank. For that I have gyres and vortechs.
Ok, plan on having a couple of power heads, maybe hydor. Just wanted to turn the tank volume over sufficiently.

OP
OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwaki all day long, I’m building a basement setup currently. Check out @Z&KFarmsWI build
Iwaki was my plan but since I can’t drill the sump I’d have to run the pipe over the side of the sump. You think the md100 would do well for that? Is it possible for it to start back up after a power outage without manual intervention?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)

OP
OP
J

jparsley55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)
Thanks for all the info! I will definitely try the glasses trick!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Syncra ADV 10 has max head of 23’ and max flow of 2700GPH. So you might get around 1000-1100GPH?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back