125 gallon mixed reef tank build!

Southern Fishing Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so my name is Keith and this is my 125 gallon mixed reef tank build thread.

This will be my 2nd tank, will be going from a 35gal tank to a 125 gal tank that I just picked up this week(have had rock cycling in a trash can for 6 weeks now). Today I was able to get the frame for my tank built. Built from wood with 4 metal jack stands that are welded in place where they need to be and can not change height(each holds 14klbs...I know a little over kill, but now I won't ever worry) One thing I've done different than basically every tank I've seen. I have a bad back, idk why the stands come so short....you have to bend over to view so I raised the bottom of the tank about 10-12 inches. It puts the bottom of the tank at exactly 42" from the floor. This allows me to view my tank standing up and not hurting my back. Now many of you may say that is too tall bc either the plumbing is running to high(which i planned for with my return pump choice) or I've been told its way to tall bc.ill never be able to get to all the spots to clean. N my answer is just simply, I don't mind getting on a step stool if it means I can enjoy my tank more. After I get the plumbing done(will have all the parts on monday) ill add the rock and make my aquascape then add crushed coral sand to allow for higher flow. Im also putting egg crat down first to give the rock something to grab onto and not move any. Then put the rock in, then the crushed coral sand and then start adding water. After I get the plumbing done I will finish building the stand, and fill it.....have plenty of room underneath for a 5 gal top off reservoir, a overflow for my skimmer skimmate, and plenty of room left for my electrical panel, and room for many shelves to help keep things organized and away from the sump. One thing im debating on is whether to do a hood or not. I will be doing an Aquatics Life T5/LED hybrid light where ill have 4 t5 bulbs and 4 kessil A360x which i think would look clean just hanging it from the ceiling but a hood would look good too...so what do people think? Should I or should I not do a hood

16181075607414050220065238012285.jpg 16181075965886705045050140469075.jpg 16181076232258479560184000115211.jpg

OP
OP
Southern Fishing Co.

Southern Fishing Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank is continuing to do well. I finished adding about 140lbs of rock to make my aquascape (the rock had been previously cycled prior to going in the tank) got the aquascape to my liking....made sure to have lots over negative space for havitate, caves overhanges....lots of spots for fish c ok me night time as I plan on having a healthy population. Added about 100lbs of crushed coral sand. Went with the crushed coral sand bc it has larger pieces so my flow can be higher without disturbing the sand bed. Looks really good to me...will be adding new pics as soon as I get the stand finished. Also tested my water last nigjt...everything was on point so today I added a clown from my smaller tank and see how he does. Started my kz zeovit reactor yesterday and started dosing zeobak and zeostart. Well see how that goes.

OP
OP
Southern Fishing Co.

Southern Fishing Co.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a little bit since I've poster a update so I thought today would be good to go ahead n do this.

The clownfish I added did great. Ive now moved my other fish from my smaller tank and have added them to the 125(a clown, wrasse, a Sailfin Tang and a 3 stripped damsel that was mistakenly added to the 125....he had killed 5 chromis in the smaller tank so I was going to rehome him til my buddy helping me accidentally put him in the 125 also n now I don't think there's anyway to get him out....any ideas?

I've also added 2 schooling fish groups- Green Chromis and Orange Anthias. And I found a juvenile CBB and watched him eat prepared food at the LFS where I got him and so far so good. He's left my coral alone for the time being.

Next I need t ok add a few more CUC members, and start seeding the tank with pods for my wrasse and a Mandarin that I'm waiting a few months to get. And I want to add 2 more Tangs.

I finally turned the lights on and the cyano came a calling....seemed bad for a few days but over the past 2-2.5days the sand is cleaner and the rock looks better. Its still on the glass but that just comes right off. Keeping a eye on it as ill probably try something to help get rid of it if it starts coming back heavy again.

So whats left to do? Well currently I only have 2 of the 4 Kessel A360x's I plan to use, finish the doors on the stand and I think I'm going to build a hood to help keep from having light spill over. But ill be making it so that I can feed and do my maintenance also. Just trying to think of the best way to do that is. When I get the stand done ill add more pictures.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back