Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried 4 different foes and everyone went after my zoa and in turn evicted. No More for me
This may help answer the question for me whether or not I will include zoas in my reef... no way I'm giving up foxes for zoas by personal preference for the fish.

Well you should impressive. I read that all wrong. I thought you worked, where the fish were coming in. Not had homie at work that reef.
Ah, I see how it was confusing. I wondered why you asked.
Yes, I have a co-worker who has had a 125-gallon FOWLR for years and another co-worker who used to keep a 75-gallon FOWLR until he moved houses and had to sell it (which was fortunate for me as my introduction to the hobby!). Now the latter is interested in getting a tank again or at least in us setting up and keeping a tank in our office.

At least there is a reasonable chance I'll keep the 10-gallon QT running at work for now in case I need it for shipments.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:
A video of my Mertensii butterflyfish in my work 10g QT:

...and a video of one of two scissortail dartfish (the other is hiding under the fake coral) from an LA order of three but one was DOA:

Nothing much else to share other than that most of my fish continue to do well in my QT's with some losses shortly after shipping. I should have some time to make good progress on my build in the week after Christmas (in which I am taking off work).

Due to losses covered by guarantees, I have some credit with LA and SaltWaterFish.com, but I am holding off using it until they have the right fish available. I also don't like this cycle I am in with continually more spending for continually more losses, so I plan to try to communicate with my Westerly LFS about fish orders and try to get fish through them rather than having them shipped with higher losses.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Work 10g QT scissortail dartfish are out and swimming about, but I did not bring my camera to work for any pictures/video. They have been mostly hiding or staying near the bottom up until now... Now they are darting about and investigating the tank after I fed them this morning a couple hours ago!
The Merten's butterflyfish is still quite active and doing great! There is a net-scrape wound on the top of its snout that appears to be healing and does not seem to affect the health of the fish.

My QT at home has a nice community of fish that will hopefully be rehomed to my 125-125 build in a month or so if I can make enough progress on the build right after Christmas.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can take time to get curious and explore. Glad they are out and about. Healing snout is a big plus!
I'm especially glad to see the dartfish healthy and curious since one of them was not doing well at all when it first arrived. It was laying on its side on the bottom of the bag and continued to do so in the acclimation bucket and when first introduced to the tank, though it would dart if disturbed. I thought it was not going to make it, but it seems to be doing great now!
...not as much can be said for the one of the three that was DOA, though I did try to acclimate it as well just in case it was just shock or shipping stress... sigh, now I have more credit at LA again...

P. S. The darting hovering swim of scissortail dartfish is quite fascinating to me! I'm hoping to have 4-5 in my reef.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwaterfish.com delivery today with 2 more 4"+ Fiji bicolor foxfaces (Siganus uspi) and a 2.5" raccoon butterflyfish (Chaetodon lunula), all fat, healthy, and doing well now in my Work 10g QT after acclimation!
Foxies are hiding (as expected) but raccoon is out swimming about nicely:
1639689754657.jpeg

One foxy peeked out to see what I was doing, and I'm pretty sure there are cryptocaryon cysts on its front right fin... at least this is a QT and I can medicate if necessary, though I am inclined to wait it out a bit first (maybe that's just stupid?):

I'm still excited for build progress in 1.5 weeks!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the spot on the fin looks large. could be lymph. try to find other spots just in case.
I'm hoping it is just lymphocystis. There is one larger spot in the middle of the fin and a row of spots along the main spine on the lower part of the fin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks distinctly like the new foxface just has Lymphocystis rather than Cryptocaryon.

One day after delivery on 2 new Fiji foxies, SWF re-stocks the tiny Fiji foxies (~1.5-2"), so I might have ordered 2 more to have the tiny ones I wanted originally so I can enjoy raising them.

I'm discovering how hard it is to photograph or video dark-colored fish that likes to hide while in a blacked aquarium:
1639768447634.jpeg

1639768470852.jpeg

1639768492082.jpeg

1639768516471.jpeg

1639768526379.jpeg

1639768540481.jpeg

Lymphocystis is pretty clear on the right fin in this last picture. There are also a few patches on the sides, around the gills, on/near its eyes, and on dorsal, anal, and caudal fins.

The fish in the home QT's are all doing great except a tiny Tomini tang that I got from LA about 1.5 weeks ago. It has a pinched belly and is pretty skinny. I started it out in a 5.5g QT, but transferred it to the 75g QT with the other fish where it promptly hid all the time and was probably not eating for a few days. It is now back in its own 5.5g QT for now to see if it will start eating and regain health.

Maybe when I am back to work early next year, I will be setting up my extra 30g breeder tank or 29g tall tank at work for a bigger/better QT. I'll want something nice for starting the tiny Fiji foxfaces so they do not get picked on by the bigger ones.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lymph sometimes needs to be treated with meds, it really isn't contagious. But, can spread on the fish's body. I treated my copperband with feeding her metroplex laced foods, it wasn't going away after a month. Only took a few days and it was gone. Just something to think about if it is protestant.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymph sometimes needs to be treated with meds, it really isn't contagious. But, can spread on the fish's body. I treated my copperband with feeding her metroplex laced foods, it wasn't going away after a month. Only took a few days and it was gone. Just something to think about if it is protestant.
Thanks for the advice, @Mibu !
After only quick research, I had figured there was nothing for me to do for this other than regular maintenance/feeding, but I'll keep this in mind if it persists.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the advice, @Mibu !
After only quick research, I had figured there was nothing for me to do for this other than regular maintenance/feeding, but I'll keep this in mind if it persists.
These are foxes, should be fine. It should clear up on its own with in a few weeks. If it gets larger and worse looking, I would look into meds for it. CBB never got worse, it just wasn't going away.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, some videos of the Work-QT with a bit of foxface showing:

Of course, they come out and swim about as soon as I put my camera away! I think they are already getting used to me sitting at my desk but get shy if I turn toward the tank!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in QT's are all doing well except tiny 1.5" Tomini tang that did not make it...
Foxface with Lymphocystis seems to be doing a bit better although the Work 10g QT now has a slight cloudiness from a bacterial bloom.
I'm preparing for a shipment tomorrow of 2 tiny Fiji foxfaces (Siganus uspi) at 1.5-2.25" as well as another Auriga butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga) <2.25" to replace the one I lost in my QT (I also now have both a Mertensii and raccoon butterflyfish, so I'll have 3 butterflyfish total which will probably mean I'm again keeping a second setup in my basement since I can't have all 3 in the macroalgae portion of the 125-125 sump, besides the fact that I'll need the second setup for pairing attempts with the Fiji foxfaces once I have 6 in total...).
For now, I'll have the 75g QT with a 75g sump for two larger QT's, will have 2@40g QT's, and will still have [email protected] QT's as needed in addition to the work 10g QT that will be emptied of fish while I am home tomorrow afternoon through January 2 for paid time-off/holidays. I will also probably set up my 30g breeder and 29g tall tanks for QT's (1 at home, 1 at work?) for extra space for larger fish. The foxfaces and raccoon butterflyfish look cramped in the Work 10g QT, though not nearly as bad as I originally thought they would be...

Build updates may be coming in early January if I can make good use of my time off.

I don't have a camera with me at work right now, so no pictures/videos to share today...

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss of the tomini :(
That's a lot of work on QT's. I would be over whelmed. Good work!
If this was not my main passion right now with not much else to look after until puppies around December 29, I'd probably be overwhelmed, too!
Also, to say that I am managing that many is false, as I am only really up-keeping the 75-75 setup and the Work QT right now with the 5.5g tanks all running but empty of fish and one 40g breeder awaiting draining and cleaning after wipe-out (it has just been sitting for a month) and one 40g breeder just running with some newer sand and the live rocks from my 75g FOWLR after tear-down. I need a few more options for closer observation and separating fish, so I will need the 40g breeders ready as well as wanting to up-size the Work QT for receiving orders to avoid issues due to water quality in such a small 10g volume. The cloudiness is a certain indicator that bacteria could quickly become a problem when QT'ing any larger fish at work, even short-term!

Side note: the foxies are quite active today in the Work QT since I forgot to grab my camera! ;Dead
No aggression or issues, just swimming around a bit and flicking up their spines every once in a while with an occasional chase of the raccoon who seems to hold its own without trouble.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back