Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there no pick up phone and call them anymore ??
real question...:rolleyes:
I have not tried that yet, but I did get my claim processed through email since the online claim service was not working.
They did not answer my question about reshipment instead of credit, though, which is very disappointing since replacements are 2x the cost right now...

Nope. Have to do a claim through the website so far as I know.
I think this is correct, although they did end up processing the claim through email for me. I might have to try calling sometime to see how it goes, but I don't want to sit on hold for an hour if I even get that far...

They are no longer owned by petco, someone worse owns them. Forgot who.
Oh, that is too bad. Somehow I need to use my credits for shipments that don't initiate more claims so I can stop being incentivized to buy from them instead of through different online suppliers. I also need to contact my other LFS (1.25 hours away) to see what they can do for ordering fish.

Firefish do not ship well in my experience.
Yeah, I might have to check both of my LFS's for availability instead of dealing with online purchase and shipment. This seems a better route in general whenever possible.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update:
Due to pricing with CyberMonday deals, I went ahead with 2 fish orders, one with LiveAquaria, one with Saltwaterfish.com.
The order from Saltwaterfish arrived yesterday with all fish doing great except the key fish, a raccoon butterflyfish that was floating upside down in the bag and barely breathing. It did not survive the night...
Other fish, all doing great so far, include 5 firefish, 4 Fiji blue-green chromises, and 3 Hector's gobies.
I did not get any great pictures, but the chromises came out last night and swam about, so I tried for a few pictures in sub-par lighting.
Chromises (please ignore the salt splash on the front of the tank):
1638469824621.png

Hector's Gobies:
1638469868323.png

I still don't know if I am crazy for not having more patience before ordering more fish or if I will end out ahead with my QT process during the finish of my build...

My Fiji foxes look interesting at night with camouflage coloration. I try to keep it infrequent with the night time disturbances, but I though I'd catch some pictures while I checked in on the fish delivery.
1638470083342.png

1638470105500.png

Now my LiveAquaria order got a delay on the shipment of the Mertensii butterflyfish but ended up shipping anyways for arrival tomorrow while I plan to be travelling... they can't do anything to stop the shipment since the tracking number is already created. Hopefully a friend or family member can receive the order for me and save the fish, though this is a replacement order for the last one that arrived dead anyways. LA also confirmed that I would get store credit for the value of the fish if it dies in shipment, even if I can't receive the order?!? I'm glad if I get my money back, but too bad for the fish if I can't do something about it!
What was that about Murphy's law?

At least I'm still making progress with my build, improving my QT's, keeping some fish alive, and finding enough joy in the success to overcome the failures.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note, I'm probably going to have my manager deal with my shipment tomorrow since delivery is to my workplace.
I'm planning to set up a QT in my cubicle early tomorrow morning with cycled media and leave instructions for my manager to handle acclimation of the shipment and care until I get back on Tuesday.
Though it is still not ideal, I'm glad he's interested in helping out!

He even mentioned that I probably will have to leave the fish at work after that since my co-workers will get too interested in watching the fish to let it leave. Maybe I have an office tank in my future? ...first I need more experience...

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People fall in love with watching fish. I hope it means a new office for you.

Edit: I love the foxes look at night.
My office building is shared with a company under the same ownership as mine that does home remodeling specializing in kitchens and dining rooms. Maybe the office foyer, which is partially a display room for the remodeling company, could be benefited in appearance by a nice reef tank? Who knows, maybe they want to start including fish tanks in their remodeling options? I'll keep dreaming... ;)

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss my foxy, but I would also like to keep some zoas.... Do I dare try again?
Oh, yeah! I'd try again!
Besides, you've got a place to re-home another if you run into issues again. (...hopefully not!) ;)
...but you know my bias/partiality to foxies...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are so unique in appearance. I may just try one more time. We'll see after all these coral sales. Unless one pops up at the lfs I like. I do like them all, just wont buy any fish that looks like it is morbid bound.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from my weekend trip to find a nice Mertensii butterflyfish doing well in my 10-gallon QT at work. My co-worker (the one I got my original 75g FOWLR from) received the shipment and acclimated the butterflyfish for me since I was traveling on Friday afternoon. There are no apparent problems at this point, which is great!

Sorry for poor video quality, but the butterflyfish likes to hide when I approach the tank, which is to be expected with a newer fish in a QT:

It came out and swam around while my co-workers and I were watching it earlier this afternoon which was nice. Another co-worker who recently started working from the office is now also introduced to the hobby and asked quite a few questions!

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked out!
Me, too! Now I have a QT at work to use for shipments if it does not work for me to run them home right away.
The only problem so far is that my co-worker filled the tank to the brim and water siphoned under the plastic rim down the tank front to make a puddle on the floor, though no one seemed to mind too much.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came back from my weekend trip to find a nice Mertensii butterflyfish doing well in my 10-gallon QT at work. My co-worker (the one I got my original 75g FOWLR from) received the shipment and acclimated the butterflyfish for me since I was traveling on Friday afternoon. There are no apparent problems at this point, which is great!

Sorry for poor video quality, but the butterflyfish likes to hide when I approach the tank, which is to be expected with a newer fish in a QT:

It came out and swam around while my co-workers and I were watching it earlier this afternoon which was nice. Another co-worker who recently started working from the office is now also introduced to the hobby and asked quite a few questions!
That's awesome. Where do you work?

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Where do you work?
Macon Construction as a design engineer/CAD drafter.
I model/draft the structures around the building for handling the grain and supporting equipment.
My work includes all of the projects on the first page of this section of the website as well as the first few on the second page from Bartlett Grain/Great Bend, KS 2016 and after.
I also correspond with our fabrication shop for material ordering and ensuring the fabrication is completed as smoothly as possible.

1638929768424.png

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macon Construction as a design engineer/CAD drafter.
I model/draft the structures around the building for handling the grain and supporting equipment.
My work includes all of the projects on the first page of this section of the website as well as the first few on the second page from Bartlett Grain/Great Bend, KS 2016 and after.
I also correspond with our fabrication shop for material ordering and ensuring the fabrication is completed as smoothly as possible.

1638929768424.png
Well you should impressive. I read that all wrong. I thought you worked, where the fish were coming in. Not had homie at work that reef.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I miss my foxy, but I would also like to keep some zoas.... Do I dare try again?
Ive tried 4 different foes and everyone went after my zoa and in turn evicted. No More for me

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back