125 Lbs. of KP Live Rock on airplane now.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very small Mantis shrimp. I see them now and then. They have huge eyes and can see me from across the room and scat. I don't know of a way to catch one. The loud popping noise they make is irritating.
Yeah they are loud when doing their tunneling or hunting.

Tank looks fantastic. LR is the way to go.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coralline is spreading very quickly. Supplementing with Red Sea KH Coralline Gro. Very happy.
Defiantly spend the extra cost for it being shipped in water. Well worth it. Did 3 large water changes in 5 days. Ammonia went to 0 and No3 was 5 on the 6th day.

192 79.jpg
Just to confirm. How many total pounds do you have in the 1800? I have a 1200 waiting.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a few months in how is everything doing? My 1200 just arrived but wont be setup will September. Any updates? New pics of growth? Thanks!
Pink, Red and Purple coralline everywhere. A few urchins . Lots of crabs. 1 Gorilla crab I am trying to catch. Very happy. I basically just wanted coralline.

I dose Red Sea KH Coralline Grow daily and that is it. Sorry for the bright pics. Still learning how to operate new camera. :cool:

IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not really. I have 20-25 snails. I did get real thick dark brown fur on the back glass. Scrapped it off. Typical brown dust on the sand bed. Sand shifter takes care of that. Shipped in water cycled in 6 days with 3 large water changes.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink, Red and Purple coralline everywhere. A few urchins . Lots of crabs. 1 Gorilla crab I am trying to catch. Very happy. I basically just wanted coralline.

I dose Red Sea KH Coralline Grow daily and that is it. Sorry for the bright pics. Still learning how to operate new camera. :cool:

IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
Absolutely Beautiful! I've never considered dry rock and this is why....the natural beauty is unparalleled and light years easier to cycle. Can't wait to pick up live rock in Sept. Great pics!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely Beautiful! I've never considered dry rock and this is why....the natural beauty is unparalleled and light years easier to cycle. Can't wait to pick up live rock in Sept. Great pics!

With all the biodiversity you rarely see dino's or other nuisance critters in tanks set up with live rock.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably some random fish deaths from the 4 ft bobbitt that was probably in there lol I'm kidding well kind of ..lol original rock looked amazing but I just get so nervous about pests

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been years since I have done this. Last time I got rock it was wrapped in wet news paper and was a long cycle. Smelly.

This is shipped in water and weighs 285 pounds with water. Freight was high but supposedly better.

Its going in my Reefer 900 (240gal) which was has been full and running for 10 days.

I have120 gallons of RO/DI water made and ready. Plan on using MicroBacter 7

Any tips or advise would be appreciated.
You'll love KP

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably some random fish deaths from the 4 ft bobbitt that was probably in there lol I'm kidding well kind of ..lol original rock looked amazing but I just get so nervous about pests

I do not know why, I have been in the hobby almost 35 years and most of those years I used live rock. There are more pest in the hobby now than back then. Difference is live rock had tons of stuff fighting for space on that rock. Now you get something like vermetid snails and their is all this bare rock to colonize. Most of the pests you need to remove on real live rock like mantis or crabs are easy to remove. Lets see now things like bubble algae, vermetid snails, dinoflagellates run wild and because nothing to compete against them. I would rather catch a harry crab than fight vermetid snails. We had them back then they just never got to the plague size they get now. You have a vermetid snail spawn and they are like look at all this bare rock to settle and look nothing to eat us. All those other little critters we got would eat most the planula that settled.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 4 footers but some nasty one. I think I have got them all.
The red crab had about a 6 inch wingspan. Took about 6 months but I got all of those also.

20210418_084644.jpg
20211018_062122.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back