125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a total screw up on my part to be honest. It was labeled as torch and I was hurrying through trying to check out before someone else grabbed it. Afterwards I think Marshall said it looked more like a nem. I was happy either way, but definitely not a torch. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I remember that. I thought about playing in that sale and getting that nem.
nem prices though?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember that. I thought about playing in that sale and getting that nem.

nem prices though?
If not for the GC, probably not for just being a Joker Nem. I forget - $179 or something like that.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I honestly can't remember and the invoice shows no price. I can go back and check my email confirmation I suppose...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In other news, I started making a frag rack for a couple of Acros. 3 hole hybrid Aragocrete egg crate hanging rack. It's an experiment and I can't wait to see it succeed! Phase 1 was finished today, Phase 2 will commence Wednesday or Thursday and then pictures hopefully Friday or Saturday. I'll let it soak for a week or so and check the Alk/pH to make sure it finishes leeching. Hopefully I'll get it in the tank soon!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Phase 2 complete! I flipped it on its back and coated the drop section of the frag rack. Also added a fourth frag hole just in case. It might be right under/at the surface of the water though so it might not get used.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
do you have photos of the progress?.... even crappy ones ;)
Nope, but I'll be "unburying" it tonight and will grab some pics. I need to take pictures next time.

The process I used:
  • Cut the egg crate to the size required for my design
  • Using a heat gun, bend the top in two locations to form a "hook" for the rim of my tank
  • Using a heat gun, bend the bottom "shelf" portion up to a horizontal position when hanging
  • Added a base of aragonite sand to the curing container and placed the rack standing up
  • Added 3/8" wooden dowels where the plug holes are needed
  • Mixed 1/4 cup Portland cement and 1/4 cup aragonite sand together, added enough water to make it a usable consistency - clumps together but not wet and droopy, and then mixed in a few small pieces of water softener salt to add "texture"
  • Scooped mixture onto the shelf portion of the rack and then removed the dowels
  • Covered with approximately 1" of aragonite sand and allowed 24 hours to set up
  • Remove sand and turn rack onto its back
  • Mixed more Aragocrete (same mix as previous)
  • Scooped onto the back portion of the hanger
  • Covered with approximately 1" of aragonite sand and allowed 24 hours to set up
Pictures tonight when I unbury it again! After pictures I'll let it sit out for a day or two to dry the rest of the way and then I'll place it in a bucket of fresh water with circulation to allow it to cure and release the lime. One pH stops spiking I'll give it a nice saltwater soak with my currently soaking live rock for a few days to start the saltwater cure and then I'll put it in the tank!

3 holes on the shelf, 1 on the back hanger portion. The one on the back may be too shallow and unusable. Like I said, this is more of an experiment to see if I want to make more for future projects. As small as it is, even if the pH is still rising some I don't anticipate much alk or pH problems in the 125.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dog turd on a frame!
IMG_20230322_165008411.jpg
IMG_20230322_165014878.jpg
IMG_20230322_165034648_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230322_164959015.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, everyone can feel free to feel sorry for Talitha at UPS. She handled it very well and was very professional but she got to deal with me and my frustrations. :confounded-face: I can honestly say I was not gentle. I find it ridiculous that the vender is the one that has to reimburse me for a UPS "mechanical failure". I said I wanted to file a claim so they filed one for Riptide. Now Mitch and Mason have to deal with it instead of UPS taking responsibility for their failure.
Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah, and I can expect my package tomorrow even though it's still saying there was a mechanical failure 14 hours ago and that they will update the delivery date as soon as possible. I guess UPS only has 1 plane and no trucks.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's murder. Im sorry. That's mind numbing.
Yep. I told her that the box is full of live animals. She said I can expect it tomorrow. I said "What good is a box full of dead animals?"

Back