125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In other reef news I hadn't seen old Melanurus in a couple of days which was odd - he was out for the first couple of days and then he disappeared. Well... He's out swimming today. Fat and happy looking. Still shy so I can't get a stupid picture of him.
Mine was a monster the moment I dropped him in my tank. Went hunting for food right away and stood his ground with all the jurks. Watch the teeth when they yawn. They got some fierce looking blades hidden back there.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad would never have tolerated that. I was around 5 and started to approach a swan, and swans are huge compared to kids. That swan backed off after looking at dad. It knew! If something even scratched us, it went missing. No joke. He was a scary man when it came to his children. My mom was too though.
My mom basically drop kicked one like a football, trying to get it to stop biting me. They were considered pets by the person who's house we were at. He had a lake and had 4 them for his lake. He was not pleased with my mother. Can you believe that?!?!! I don't think she and he ever saw eye to eye on much subjects after that.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My mom basically drop kicked one like a football, trying to get it to stop biting me. They were considered pets by the person who's house we were at. He had a lake and had 4 them for his lake. He was not pleased with my mother. Can you believe that?!?!! I don't think she and he ever saw eye to eye on much subjects after that.
Yuh, I don't think so. If my animals hurt someone, they are going to be put in their place. There are rules. And even the pets need to follow them. I have seen plenty of farm animals (ducks - geese) included who understood "you break the law" you are cooked. Your mom's neighbor is an wrasshole.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This sounds like a headache of a project. Did you manage to make this rock at all porous?
It actually hasn't been that bad. So far, including water changes, I have maybe an hour invested in the project.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's a lot more salt than I was expecting. you using fine sand? I have fiji pink, but it would have to come out of the tank atm, which is a little larger particle size and wonder what that would do.

I will likely be buying more for the bowfront though as I have a stronger than normal desire to get some African cichlids for it. Right now the frontrunners are Jewels, Johanni, then kribensis (I think, they might be 4th or 5th).
I used coarse only. People say to get the coarse and fine and mix them but I feel like that would make it a lot smoother looking which doesn't seem as natural? Here's the stuff I got:

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yuh, I don't think so. If my animals hurt someone, they are going to be put in their place. There are rules. And even the pets need to follow them. I have seen plenty of farm animals (ducks - geese) included who understood "you break the law" you are cooked. Your mom's neighbor is an wrasshole.
Is their place called "Freezer Camp"?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used coarse only. People say to get the coarse and fine and mix them but I feel like that would make it a lot smoother looking which doesn't seem as natural? Here's the stuff I got:

Thanks.
Edit: I may add some to the book order i will be placing soon. try to sneak it past the wife or say its for the african cichlids going in the bowfront...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is their place called "Freezer Camp"?
I was young. All the old farmers my dad knew were serious people. They were the kind that said "my turf you respect my rules." Today, I think a lot of people have forgotten how that works.

I still remember when a rooster bit someone and an old guy said "now we know who's for dinner." He wasn't joking.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was young. All the old farmers my dad knew were serious people. They were the kind that said "my turf you respect my rules." Today, I think a lot of people have forgotten how that works.

I still remember when a rooster bit someone and an old guy said "now we know who's for dinner." He wasn't joking.
Nope. Roosters are pretty much only good for dinner unless they're show birds.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can never hide anything from my husband. He's too attentive.
My wife usually calls me because I put stuff in the Amazon cart. She orders everything. "Tim, do you really need this?"

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Same...lol. Can't tell you how many times I put something in the cart to look at later, and my wife buys it along with whatever she is getting... :p
I rarely meet the threshold for free shipping because I only order one or two things at a time so I wait for her to put her $150 worth of supplies on then realize I have stuff in the cart too.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can never hide anything from my husband. He's too attentive.
I've also lost a fair bit of my sneak ability. It's easier anymore to just let her in on it. Plus it can get her involved so she gets excited for herself. See the quote from her on sam's baby cardinal fish thread.
I rarely meet the threshold for free shipping because I only order one or two things at a time so I wait for her to put her $150 worth of supplies on then realize I have stuff in the cart too.
With school starting, hitting shipping minimums should be easy.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've also lost a fair bit of my sneak ability. It's easier anymore to just let her in on it. Plus it can get her involved so she gets excited for herself. See the quote from her on sam's baby cardinal fish thread.

School starting? My kids are home schooled so it never ends!
giphy (4).gif

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

My husband is on board with the tank. But, with how much I have spent over the last 2 years really cost more than what he has put in his hobbies. Unless you add all his beer into the price. He wins on being the big spender.

I need to buy a new heater to fit my sump, more salt, some cleaner shrimp because I like them. Things add up too quick in this hobby.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But I was done, could have stayed done. but no I want to work in healthcare ethics, so now I'm the dummy going back to school when he was free, so free.
Hey, I dropped out of college... Four times? Maybe five. Then, when we were happily married, had our second kid, were living in my in-laws living room, I was working full time PLUS tons of OT I decided it was a good time to finish my bachelor's degree. I mean, I was already almost halfway there....

I feel your pain.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is on board with the tank. But, with how much I have spent over the last 2 years really cost more than what he has put in his hobbies. Unless you add all his beer into the price. He wins on being the big spender.

I need to buy a new heater to fit my sump, more salt, some cleaner shrimp because I like them. Things add up too quick in this hobby.
She's fine with the tanks, and wants to support me in my hobbies, but hesitates when I want to start a new tank, largely because of cost, but also, will the floor support it? My hobbies are the expensive ones: tanks, fresh and salt; running, that means race entries; cycling, brewing beer, although haven't done that in a while due to a tragic lack of brew stores near me. Hers are cheap, gardening, she saves seeds too; knitting some times, running, cycling.

They do add up quickly; death by a thousand papercuts.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back