125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Husband got his bachelor's degree, the place he got it from went bankrupt. Now that means his bachelor's degree has no meaning. He still has his job though.

The good thing about certain trades, you don't need a degree and a trade school is far better than college.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's fine with the tanks, and wants to support me in my hobbies, but hesitates when I want to start a new tank, largely because of cost, but also, will the floor support it? My hobbies are the expensive ones: tanks, fresh and salt; running, that means race entries; cycling, brewing beer, although haven't done that in a while due to a tragic lack of brew stores near me. Hers are cheap, gardening, she saves seeds too; knitting some times, running, cycling.

They do add up quickly; death by a thousand papercuts.
That's the biggest issue for me. Floor supports. I could turn the garage into a tank room. But, we like using it for it's real purpose. The car!
We have an overly large sycamore tree that is threatening our roof and garage. I need to call someone to either take her down, or remove those branches.

When she drops a branch, they are heavy!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I dropped out of college... Four times? Maybe five. Then, when we were happily married, had our second kid, were living in my in-laws living room, I was working full time PLUS tons of OT I decided it was a good time to finish my bachelor's degree. I mean, I was already almost halfway there....

I feel your pain.
I just have 2 hopes, one that this doesn't start a competition with the mrs for degrees. This one will tie us both at 2 master's. and hope 2, it doesn't lead to a PhD.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Husband got his bachelor's degree, the place he got it from went bankrupt. Now that means his bachelor's degree has no meaning. He still has his job though.

The good thing about certain trades, you don't need a degree and a trade school is far better than college.
Jobs are better anyways. I, however can't open the doors I want without at least some of the school. If work wanted to and could give me the experience I want, I'd do it that way. but they can't. Which probably also means they can't keep me when I finish...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want more baby mollies. Shes all alone.
20220811_104128.jpg

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the biggest issue for me. Floor supports. I could turn the garage into a tank room. But, we like using it for it's real purpose. The car!
We have an overly large sycamore tree that is threatening our roof and garage. I need to call someone to either take her down, or remove those branches.

When she drops a branch, they are heavy!
No garage here, and no access to the crawlspace under the living room.

Sycamores are dense trees. best of luck. you could turn it into a stand for another tank.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just have 2 hopes, one that this doesn't start a competition with the mrs for degrees. This one will tie us both at 2 master's. and hope 2, it doesn't lead to a PhD.
Unless you can get it paid for by scholarship, I'm not sure degrees are going to be that big a differentiating factor in this brave new world. They do, however indicate a degree of follow-through and commitment.
Unless going into politics *shudder*, business, or the sciences, I'll be recommending electrician apprenticeship for my boy. :face-in-clouds:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No garage here, and no access to the crawlspace under the living room.

Sycamores are dense trees. best of luck. you could turn it into a stand for another tank.
You have to have access somewhere. May be worth making access to get another tank ;)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you can get it paid for by scholarship, I'm not sure degrees are going to be that big a differentiating factor in this brave new world. They do, however indicate a degree of follow-through and commitment.
Unless going into politics *shudder*, business, or the sciences, I'll be recommending electrician apprenticeship for my boy. :face-in-clouds:
Healthcare ethics. I'm getting 20% from the school, which allows for work to reimburse the rest...if I want to stay 2 years after the last check comes. not something I'm going to commit to at this point.

I might get into welding though, that pays better.
You have to have access somewhere. May be worth making access to get another tank ;)
I've thought about it, just a small me sized hole should do. Edit: probably easier and cheaper to buy a new house though.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might get into welding though, that pays better.
Underwater welding. Get your welding certification, then your scuba certification, then increase your life insurance, then get your scuba welding certification and get ready to make money! Or die... It's fairly dangerous so you could die. Hence the life insurance. You know, just in case?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater welding. Get your welding certification, then your scuba certification, then increase your life insurance, then get your scuba welding certification and get ready to make money! Or die... It's fairly dangerous so you could die. Hence the life insurance. You know, just in case?
sounds about as difficult as another degree.
More or less dangerous than living in Baltimore?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man, working from hard is hard stuff... I've got my personal phone, work phone, emails, and the forum all going simultaneously... Have to keep track of each conversation compartmentaly.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, working from hard is hard stuff... I've got my personal phone, work phone, emails, and the forum all going simultaneously... Have to keep track of each conversation compartmentaly.
nah.

2x conf calls, chats open via slack with 30 active people, email non stop, etc. etc.

Just takes repetition for where each item is on each of the 6 monitors lol.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
nah.

2x conf calls, chats open via slack with 30 active people, email non stop, etc. etc.

Just takes repetition for where each item is on each of the 6 monitors lol.
I only brought home the laptop and one monitor. Not enough room in the fish room for a second monitor.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get Ubuntu and get used to using the screen app. Oh; and make sure you can do all your work on the terminal...
Uh oh... Sounds like I'm about to get unplugged?
matrix-there-is-no-spoon.gif

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can see the bottom today! That's through about 1.5' of water above the rocks, 2' above that sand at the bottom. Water is getting clearer for sure. The pH, alk, and carbonate hardness we're still highly elevated but the pH and carbonate hardness are dropping some.
IMG_20220811_135826539.jpg

I'm leaving tomorrow so hopefully when I get home on Sunday I can do a final freshwater change and then when I return on Wednesday it'll be ready for a saltwater soak.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back