125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you do it again or just buy dry rock? I get the diy feeling good about it part...but in the end...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Would you do it again or just buy dry rock? I get the diy feeling good about it part...but in the end...
For me, it was easier to convince my wife to let me do this than buying dry rock. The dry rock around here is $2-6 a pound and most of it is not how heavy they say it is. I'd definitely do it again. It's not labor intensive, just takes a lot of soaking and changing water.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If cost isn't an issue, I'd buy dry rock and do a saltwater soak for two weeks just to make sure no ammonia or pH spikes. The good thing about this is it's my rock. I know what went in it and I know it's been cycled before putting it in the tank. Guaranteed pest free, essentially no silicates (>1%).

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How much does the diy work out to per pound?
I'm sitting at about $35 for potentially 40-60 pounds. You can use oyster shell to drop the cost significantly but there's phosphate concerns there. You can buy cheaper cement and cut costs a lot. With the mix I'm using I'm at about $0.75-$0.80 per pound. Increasing cement to 2 parts per 1 part sand decreases that to around $0.40 per pound. Adding oyster shell can get you around $0.25 per pound. Using silica sand (play sand) is a bad idea but people use it and they're around $0.15-$0.20 per pound.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Regardless of where I get my rock from I'm soaking it first. Making your own adds anywhere from 6 days to 2 months to the soak time. Silica sand obviously increases that soak a lot, higher cement concentration increases that soak time to leach out the lime and not pH/alk spike your tank, oyster shell increases that time to decrease the chance of phosphate spikes....

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've had a JKR Golden Gate Galaxea for almost two years now. It was basically dead, I just never took it out of the tank. I moved it from the 75 to the 125 a couple of days ago....
Look!
IMG_20220811_161041345~2.jpg

IMG_20220811_160829707~2.jpg

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
yes! they're awesome fish! My tangs swim up to mine and hang out and the blue-line swims all over them and cleans them. its really neat to watch.

The goby is actually better because it doesn't 100% depend on cleaning other critters for its meals like the wrasse.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yes! they're awesome fish! My tangs swim up to mine and hang out and the blue-line swims all over them and cleans them. its really neat to watch.

The goby is actually better because it doesn't 100% depend on cleaning other critters for its meals like the wrasse.
I also have $50 at Biota and that's one of the fish I was considering from them. Save $20 and no shipping fee if I buy it from Petco.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I ran out of time before I left yesterday. They're on sale until the 29th so I'm thinking I'm grabbing the next one I see.

I did have time to do another water change on the rocks. Still elevated pH and everything but it sure seems to be slowly coming down. I may be at the point where massive quantities have leeched out and now we're getting into the end parts. I think it's still going to take a few more changes. I'll check Sunday when I get home and swap the water and then see what we've got Wednesday when I get home. Hopefully not too much longer but they say it can take between 6 days and 2 months to finish the freshwater soak.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of time before I left yesterday. They're in sale until the 29th so I'm thinking I'm grabbing the next one I see.

I did have time to do another water change on the rocks. Still elevated pH and everything but it sure seems to be slowly coming down. I may be at the point where massive quantities have leeched out and now we're getting into the end parts. I think it's still going to take a few more changes. I'll check Sunday when I get home and swap the water and then see what we've got Wednesday when I get home. Hopefully not too much longer but they say it can take between 6 days and 2 months to finish the freshwater soak.
3D Driving GIF by Yea Sure
dead & company bonnaroo 2016 GIF by Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, I made it home from Vegas yesterday. I'm still alive! We stopped in Kingman and bought some turquoise, stopped at the Hoover Dam and didn't tour because it was ridiculously crowded...

Tested the water in my rocks today, pH hot!

Edit: Not sure what car socks meant but I tested the water for my rocks I'm making. The pH was quite elevated after soaking for 5 days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Clear water, pH is still around 7 - double checked just to make sure. Looks like this freshwater soak is hopefully close to over and saltwater starts next week! I'm going to let it sit for the rest of the weekend with occasional pH checks just to verify but if it stays below an 8 by Monday I'll be dumping the water and mixing some saltwater for a 2 week or so soak.
IMG_20220819_103223223.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear water, pH is still around 7 - double checked just to make sure. Looks like this freshwater soak is hopefully close to over and saltwater starts next week! I'm going to let it sit for the rest of the weekend with occasional pH checks just to verify but if it stays below an 8 by Monday I'll be dumping the water and mixing some saltwater for a 2 week or so soak.
IMG_20220819_103223223.jpg
You need to have a powerhead or pump in there. Precip can form when curing and that will block PH leeching from inside the rock. Goal is to do it outside, and have PH site at 8-8.2 for a week before you go to SW soak.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You need to have a powerhead or pump in there. Precip can form when curing and that will block PH leeching from inside the rock. Goal is to do it outside, and have PH site at 8-8.2 for a week before you go to SW soak.
Sounds good! I've been running a power head and it's outside in the shade. I also heard that warm water works better than cold so now's the time for sure! I'll let it sit as long as needed. I definitely don't want to be killing my tank.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just curious if anyone knows: Acetal Copolymer should be fine for the tank, right? It's approved for drinking water so it "shouldn't" leach anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back