125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Guess you're going to have to buy one and find out. The lfs here had at least 6 carpenter wrasses. Almost got one. Maybe later.
Nope! They were all sickly looking. The two that were swimming around had their fins clamped and their bellies we're kind tucked up. I'm guessing flukes for sure but didn't want to take any chances.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No flasher Wrasses today but...

Starry Blenny
IMG_20220910_190223563.jpg
A couple Pajamas
IMG_20220910_190116618.jpg

Also picked up a Hanna Alk tester for $20. Almost brand new.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just went to test my alkalinity with the new tester.... Let's just say my LFS I purchased it from just got a nastygram message from me about how ashamed they should be for selling a known broken tester with an "all sales final" policy and without allowing me to test it.

I was told it was traded in by their Saltwater manager. So either A: he broke it and knowingly traded it in broken, or B: I was lied to to make me feel better about purchasing it untested because it came from a reputable person... Either way it's highly inappropriate and I let them know. Then I emailed the situation to Hanna. We'll see what everyone says but most likely I'm out $20 and my wife will probably end up punching someone next time we go there. That might be kind of fun to watch, right?

Someone pried it open. I don't think it was ever used.
IMG_20220912_091857506.jpg
IMG_20220912_091901589.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean, watching the wife punch someone may be worth $20.
Oh, definitely! She still might. All depends on what the LFS says in response to the message.
Hannas costumer service is legit.
Yes they are. I figured it doesn't hurt to reach out to the manufacturer. If they offered to sell me a battery cover I'd probably have still taken them up on the offer.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Mschmidt , you're taking ethics classes - let me ask you an ethical question: if things work out the way I hope they do, now that Hanna is replacing the battery door for free, if the LFS offers me a $20 store credit for the broken tester is it ethically wrong to accept it? I feel like it's one of those $20 for my troubles and for them lying to me. Morally it's acceptable. Ethically I think so as well. Thoughts?

@BroccoliFarmer what about from a tax standpoint? Does this have any implications there?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mschmidt , you're taking ethics classes - let me ask you an ethical question: if things work out the way I hope they do, now that Hanna is replacing the battery door for free, if the LFS offers me a $20 store credit for the broken tester is it ethically wrong to accept it? I feel like it's one of those $20 for my troubles and for them lying to me. Morally it's acceptable. Ethically I think so as well. Thoughts?

@BroccoliFarmer what about from a tax standpoint? Does this have any implications there?
My area of "expertise" is bioethics, not business or personal ethics. But the question is did you contact Hanna free thing or did they offer it? You said you were willing to pay for it if that was the option. Now, why is the store giving $20 credit? is it to help fix the tester? or is it to keep a costumer. If it's to fix the product they sold, my recommendation is take one or the other. (When I bought a tester (new) and the reagent it came with as expired, Hanna gave me the option to go through the store or them for a replacement.) If it's to keep a costumer, then the gift is to repair the relationship and maybe keep your wife from punching anyone.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol. No tax implications. This would most likely fall under the category of a gift. TECHNICALLY, you could contemplate this as income but I doubt any IRS agent would enforce this.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Transferred a couple more corals from the 75:
Cactus Pavona
IMG_20220912_173152598.jpg

Reverse Prism Favia
IMG_20220912_173133409.jpg

Riptide Zoas - unsure of variety but probably either Green Bay Packers or Radioactive Spider
IMG_20220912_173124321.jpg

Hulk Lepto
IMG_20220912_173104328.jpg

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Phosphate looks to be very very close to 0 if not at 0. I couldn't see even a hint of blue in the sample water. Fed some Reef Roids, Reef Candy, Benepets, and Reef Jerky. Everything ate. The Christmas Favia has green mouths when they're open and red when they're closed!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just went to test my alkalinity with the new tester.... Let's just say my LFS I purchased it from just got a nastygram message from me about how ashamed they should be for selling a known broken tester with an "all sales final" policy and without allowing me to test it.

I was told it was traded in by their Saltwater manager. So either A: he broke it and knowingly traded it in broken, or B: I was lied to to make me feel better about purchasing it untested because it came from a reputable person... Either way it's highly inappropriate and I let them know. Then I emailed the situation to Hanna. We'll see what everyone says but most likely I'm out $20 and my wife will probably end up punching someone next time we go there. That might be kind of fun to watch, right?

Someone pried it open. I don't think it was ever used.
IMG_20220912_091857506.jpg
IMG_20220912_091901589.jpg
Wow that’s so wrong. Sry.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate looks to be very very close to 0 if not at 0. I couldn't see even a hint of blue in the sample water. Fed some Reef Roids, Reef Candy, Benepets, and Reef Jerky. Everything ate. The Christmas Favia has green mouths when they're open and red when they're closed!
I've never seen my favia with open mouths. Maybe that's why they don't do well...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1663030504668.jpeg

nice raja they nice raja. Good luck w it. They grow up so fast. Esp for a chalice before ya know it lol
C831C737-9D79-4CED-BF3A-2D5467031A24.jpeg
I've read different things. Do i want it in strong light or down low? It's bright and was eating today but the edges are kind of rolling up.it seems happy but I have it pretty high in my tank. Not sure on par.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've never seen my favia with open mouths. Maybe that's why they don't do well...
Mine used to always eat. The Top Fuel was always open with feeding tentacles extended. The Fascination would open if I fed frozen or Reef Roids. My Reverse Prism eats faster than the Micros and Blastos do but I never see feeding tentacles.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back