125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Installed two smart plugs today. We'll see. I bought ones that were supposed to be Bluetooth only - no WiFi but there's no Bluetooth at all, only WiFi.
IMG_20220706_221345952.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. I miss a lot during the work week...

Sorry to hear about the losses to the family. My condolences my friend.

Tank looks great!. You NEED more rocks. I dig the way you ran the return lines to flow toward the lower levels of the tank! What a fantastic idea!!

I am guessing that you did not wash the sand before you added it to the tank? Did you use all new sand or reuse the stuff from the old tank as-is? I am curious because I have read how bad used sand can be. Funny enough, my 55 I used a 5g bucket of used sand, as is, from the guy I got the 180 from. This tank has had so few issues it really makes me wonder about the idea that sand "needs" to be washed before use.

I have 8 bags of new agrilive Fiji pink that I will be using in the new build, plus whatever I can take from the 55g. I would rather not have to spend a day washing out 80 pounds of sand if I can help it. I am thinking that it should be fine t use the new sand unwashed as I did the same thing will all of my other tanks....

The sand from the 55 will get washed for sure though as I am sure it is loaded with nasties I don't want in the new tank.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one more coat of blue and then two coats of black (sorry for the glare). Should be coming inside tomorrow - we're at a friend's house for dinner and a movie.

IMG_20220701_173412188.jpg IMG_20220701_173404930.jpg

IMG_20220701_173412188.jpg IMG_20220701_173404930.jpg
Looks good. I thought I was the only one that painted the back walls of my tank.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow.. I miss a lot during the work week...

Sorry to hear about the losses to the family. My condolences my friend.

Tank looks great!. You NEED more rocks. I dig the way you ran the return lines to flow toward the lower levels of the tank! What a fantastic idea!!

I am guessing that you did not wash the sand before you added it to the tank? Did you use all new sand or reuse the stuff from the old tank as-is? I am curious because I have read how bad used sand can be. Funny enough, my 55 I used a 5g bucket of used sand, as is, from the guy I got the 180 from. This tank has had so few issues it really makes me wonder about the idea that sand "needs" to be washed before use.

I have 8 bags of new agrilive Fiji pink that I will be using in the new build, plus whatever I can take from the 55g. I would rather not have to spend a day washing out 80 pounds of sand if I can help it. I am thinking that it should be fine t use the new sand unwashed as I did the same thing will all of my other tanks....

The sand from the 55 will get washed for sure though as I am sure it is loaded with nasties I don't want in the new tank.
I didn't wash anything except the tank and sump. The sand was two new bags of the Fiji pink and a bucket of ancient sand from the 75 the first time I had it set up. I rinsed it when I took it out of the tank and, since I'm not adding anything for another week and a half minimum, I didn't re-rinse it before adding it. The rock I rinsed and then soaked it until the ammonia was gone. We'll see what it looks like in 10 days - jumping on the plane in a little over an hour. I already let my wife know we need more rock - she's totally excited about spending more money....

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks good. I thought I was the only one that painted the back walls of my tank.
Nah, you're just the only one that paints your name on the back of your tank.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am narcissistic that way!!

all about me love GIF by WE tv
I actually almost considered using some glow of the black light paints and doing some little designs like you had. I thought that was a really cool idea. My wife didn't want me to. Something about my artistic abilities....?
giphy (68).gif

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I made it to Missouri! Tonight was the viewing for my grandma and the funeral is tomorrow.

I decided to wait on the TurboStart until I get home but I dosed a single dose of the Substrate Sauce last night. The bottle "treats" 500 gallons I believe is what it said. When I get home I'm going to check the levels and if everything is good, I'll add another dose of Substrate Sauce, add the TurboStart, and then grab some hermits, snails, and either move the clown over or get a Chromis or 2.

In other news the call from HR came yesterday so it was official that I promoted. Today the email came out while I was at the viewing so I was getting emails, texts, and phone call congratulations...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made it to Missouri! Tonight was the viewing for my grandma and the funeral is tomorrow.

I decided to wait on the TurboStart until I get home but I dosed a single dose of the Substrate Sauce last night. The bottle "treats" 500 gallons I believe is what it said. When I get home I'm going to check the levels and if everything is good, I'll add another dose of Substrate Sauce, add the TurboStart, and then grab some hermits, snails, and either move the clown over or get a Chromis or 2.

In other news the call from HR came yesterday so it was official that I promoted. Today the email came out while I was at the viewing so I was getting emails, texts, and phone call congratulations...
Congratulations on the promo!

Hope the tank cycle flows smooth as silk for you.
Blessings at grandmas funeral.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok bro... I got the 55g drained out today. Everyone is adjusting well to the temporary home (2 30g totes from Walmart). I'm taking a bit of a break right now and then I will start the actual work part. Getting all of the sand out of the tank!! ugghhhh Removing substrate is always the worst part of moving tanks!!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok bro... I got the 55g drained out today. Everyone is adjusting well to the temporary home (2 30g totes from Walmart). I'm taking a bit of a break right now and then I will start the actual work part. Getting all of the sand out of the tank!! ugghhhh Removing substrate is always the worst part of moving tanks!!
Yep. Hateful stuff. I'm in Missouri until next Saturday and then we'll see how the 125 is doing. Hopefully no ammonia or nitrite. I'm hoping a small amount of algae growth starts but not too much.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sitting here in Missouri there's not much update I can give. My mother-in-law is babysitting the animals for me. She said the dogs, cat, hedgehog, and fish are all still kicking along. I did a test run on the 125 before I left. The flow was very random so I'm hopeful that the corals enjoy it once I start adding stuff. Anyone want to swing by and take some pictures for me???

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know. I used to live in white sands, though!
I would have my mother-in-law take some pics but she can use her cellphone to make a phone call. Beyond that.... She usually hands me her flip phone and has me text people for her. Flip phones are so 1 66 66 666 999 444 66 4.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have my mother-in-law take some pics but she can use her cellphone to make a phone call. Beyond that.... She usually hands me her flip phone and has me text people for her. Flip phones are so 1 66 66 666 999 444 66 4.
I'd hate that big time. But, gotta help as you can.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back