125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to always eat. The Top Fuel was always open with feeding tentacles extended. The Fascination would open if I fed frozen or Reef Roids. My Reverse Prism eats faster than the Micros and Blastos do but I never see feeding tentacles.
Youo spot feed them, or broadcasts?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Youo spot feed them, or broadcasts?
Both. Mostly broadcast but occasionally I take a turkey baster and squirt some directly on them. Frozen is always spot feed, the powdered stuff is rehydrated and then typically broadcast.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. Mostly broadcast but occasionally I take a turkey baster and squirt some directly on them. Frozen is always spot feed, the powdered stuff is rehydrated and then typically broadcast.
since I've never seen a response from the favia, I hope broadcast for them. would they take pellets? that's what I feed the nems and lps that give a good response (blasto, bower, micro, duncan...)

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
since I've never seen a response from the favia, I hope broadcast for them. would they take pellets? that's what I feed the nems and lps that give a good response (blasto, bower, micro, duncan...)
I've given some Reef Nutrition pellets before - my Fascination Favia spit them out. Never hurts to try.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Probably won't die faster... They're doing better since I moved them to the frag rack in the other tank. Probably because of the better light and more stable conditions too.
Different favias like different things. My Fascination hated light. Fat, puffy, and gorgeous colors in full shadow. My Top Fuel liked a medium light, my Reverse Prism Favia both like medium-low light. Favia are weird and picky. I think part of it is there are so many different varieties of type - not just color - and each one is from a different part of the reef. They're all classified as Favia even though they're agressive to each other. For example, my Top Fuel was most likely a Favites and my Reverse Prism and Fascination are all three likely different species of Favias. There are some subtle differences between the 3 and it's more easily noticed between the two Reverse Prisms but still subtle.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different favias like different things. My Fascination hated light. Fat, puffy, and gorgeous colors in full shadow. My Top Fuel liked a medium light, my Reverse Prism Favia both like medium-low light. Favia are weird and picky. I think part of it is there are so many different varieties of type - not just color - and each one is from a different part of the reef. They're all classified as Favia even though they're agressive to each other. For example, my Top Fuel was most likely a Favites and my Reverse Prism and Fascination are all three likely different species of Favias. There are some subtle differences between the 3 and it's more easily noticed between the two Reverse Prisms but still subtle.
I can't for the life of me remember the names. got them at my first live sale, WWC. might be a dragon soul/blood something. I think I have one doing ok. I might do a then and now photo shoot of them. and if they hate each other, maybe spread them out across the rack.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't for the life of me remember the names. got them at my first live sale, WWC. might be a dragon soul/blood something. I think I have one doing ok. I might do a then and now photo shoot of them. and if they hate each other, maybe spread them out across the rack.
I don't think they're known for being overly agressive with sweepers and all that but if they touch they can fight. I think.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah buddy! Hector esta aqui! I caught the Hector's Goby in the trap. He's hangin' in the 125.
IMG_20220913_094834962.jpg

Thanks @Projects with Sam for the idea of using frozen. 3 of the 5 are transferred. Two Cardinalfish left then the tang and Chromis.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow! I just got scared for a second. I looked in the tank and saw what appeared to be two little aiptasia.
:flushed-face:
Looked a little closer and saw two wee beady eyes staring at me from below the cirri (eyelash thingys). Starry Blenny pretending to be invasive.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
too funny! Where did you find a Starry Blenny? I have been looking online and locally since Feb and can't find one
My LFS (the one that purposely sold me a broken Hanna checker) had them for $25 the other day. They had 9 or 10 very healthy looking specimens. I took a medium sized one.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting... I added salt to the rock bucket to start curing it and the pH dropped significantly. Like from 9 to 8. I reused the water that it was already soaking in and brought it up to a 1.025 and then added 10 gallons of water from a water change. Current pH is 7.88. pH in the tank is 7.51 (working on bringing it up).

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting... I added salt to the rock bucket to start curing it and the pH dropped significantly. Like from 9 to 8. I reused the water that it was already soaking in and brought it up to a 1.025 and then added 10 gallons of water from a water change. Current pH is 7.88. pH in the tank is 7.51 (working on bringing it up).
man its been a long road. the FW guys that I watched do it had their pH down in 10 water changes. what concrete / mortar did you use?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Commercial Grade Quickrete Portland Cement. I liked it because it is 0 for silicates but it sure does keep the pH up. It's just so odd that adding salt would drop it so much. Especially since I want my pH up around 8.3-8.5 and the "rock" and surface agitation is buffering it to 7.88.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could be a water to rock ratio too. More rock in the water will take longer.
True, I'm using about 20 pounds of rock with maybe 10 gallons of water? Probably less actually.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I'm going to let the rock soak for another week and then every day or two I'll add a piece - starting with the sleeve for my return. All the white PVC will be hidden and only the black Locline fittings will be "visible". I think they'll hide very nicely - definitely better than the white PVC.

Back