OP
OP
F

flbrgz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what are your plans for corals for this tank?
Hi, I am mainly looking at hammer corals, torches, corallimorphs, zoanthids and a small pink footed bubble tip anemone. Due to it being at least a 1 hour drive each way and limited availability it will take some time to find time them all. I will be adding some more rock and a bi-color blenny as soon as I can find one.

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build! Really impressive work. How did you get a clean silicone seal on the top lid? And how do you get rocks in or work in the tank with such a small opening on top?

OP
OP
F

flbrgz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build! Really impressive work. How did you get a clean silicone seal on the top lid? And how do you get rocks in or work in the tank with such a small opening on top?

Hello there, for the silicon work I used masking tape to tape off all areas that were to remain silicon free. For the internal corners, seams, joins, I used a rounded off piece of wood, shaped like a blunt pencil. All pieces were siliconed during the one event. One after another and the internal corners penciled out before the silicon started to cure. I basically just went over and over and over on the internal joins until there was no silicon on faces of the glass surfaces that you see though. The excess silicon is moved out onto the masking tape during this process. The tape was then removed once the silicon had started to cure.

I can only put limited size rock though the top hole. I can fit anything within 140mm x 140mm on any two planes. The rock I have put in the tank looks about the right size for the tank, so it worked out well.

More updates coming soon. Cheers.

Mav2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, for the silicon work I used masking tape to tape off all areas that were to remain silicon free. For the internal corners, seams, joins, I used a rounded off piece of wood, shaped like a blunt pencil. All pieces were siliconed during the one event. One after another and the internal corners penciled out before the silicon started to cure. I basically just went over and over and over on the internal joins until there was no silicon on faces of the glass surfaces that you see though. The excess silicon is moved out onto the masking tape during this process. The tape was then removed once the silicon had started to cure.

I can only put limited size rock though the top hole. I can fit anything within 140mm x 140mm on any two planes. The rock I have put in the tank looks about the right size for the tank, so it worked out well.

More updates coming soon. Cheers.
Love it! Great work. I'm just in the process of setting up my own 13 gallon tank with a 7 gallon sump. Will definitely follow along

OP
OP
F

flbrgz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been up and running for a while now. I only have one hammer coral and the corallimorph shown, plus a pink/red one not shown.

20200123_173911.jpg

I have a reef octopus NS80 protein skimmer. I ran into an issue with my sump not having a section to maintain a constant height for the skimmer to operate properly. When the return pump would turn off for feed mode the level in the sump and skimmer would rise and push all the bubbles out of the skimmer. Resulting in the skimate being flushed out of the cup and back into the sump. To overcome this I have had to use a plastic container to create a section to house the skimmer in.

20200123_173925.jpg

20200123_173934.jpg

I have used some type of man made dry rock. Not sure of the brand. I am fairly sure that this has been releasing some phosphates or silicates into the water. My nitrates and phosphate rose quite drastically with nitrates topping out at above 80ppm. Phosphates were a solid 5ppm. I had to resort to finding some type of media to remove these. At first I thought it was just nitrates so after some research I decided to use Purigen to remove or control the nitrates. I made a kind of reactor to allow a small flow from the return pump to pass through the purigen. I have a valve to control the flow. This worked to reduce the nitrates a little but I could not get them below 50ppm. I purchase a phosphate test kit and found the phosphates were above 5ppm. This led me to purchase API phosguard. I only use about 2 table spoons under the output from the skimmer. With these two products my numbers came way down over a period of a few days. They have stayed down since and I have removed some of the media to allow the reading to come back up a little from the 0 point.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat would be an issue for sure here in fla, looks interesting tho, I need all the room I can get on the top, euro brace is to much..

I really do like your set up and the fact you made it and its holding water is awesome and something I wouldn't trust myself to do. Good job it looks great keep going and keep the thread up dated

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back