13.5 evo air pocket with intank media basket chamber one

Ryan Kraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an intank media basket in chamber one. I have filter floss on top shelf along with the flow diverter, Purigen on shelf 2 and bio media at the bottom.
I noticed that there is an air gap between shelf 1 and 2 of about an inch. The water flows around the Intank. I also removed the filter floss just to see if that was messing up the flow but same result.
Has anyone else dealt with this?
This makes my 2nd and 3rd Chamber water levels fluctuate quite a bit.
I removed the flow diverter and things leveled off but the water pretty much bypasses the top shelf.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an intank media basket in chamber one. I have filter floss on top shelf along with the flow diverter, Purigen on shelf 2 and bio media at the bottom.
I noticed that there is an air gap between shelf 1 and 2 of about an inch. The water flows around the Intank. I also removed the filter floss just to see if that was messing up the flow but same result.
Has anyone else dealt with this?
This makes my 2nd and 3rd Chamber water levels fluctuate quite a bit.
I removed the flow diverter and things leveled off but the water pretty much bypasses the top shelf.
I measured the flow rate today and it is 500 lph - what Fluval says it should be. The flow rate is determined only by the pump. Any media won't affect the flow rate out of chamber 3. Except if the media blocks the flow and levels drop as the water is pumped out. Sort of all OK or bust - usually OK.

I have a plastic weir that fits on to the input. Too high and the water levels are affected - so I haven't used it.

In chamber two, there is a hole to pass water into the three chambers e.g. if the weir is set too high. I have the overall height of water half way up the hatched area. Also have a piece of plastic covering the hole in chamber 2. Otherwise there is no flow into chamber 1. With the supplied foam block, an L shaped piece of clear plastic can be used to clip around the bottom and up the side to block this hole.

Unless the media is too great all the chambers are effectively full and water passes into the first chamber. With InTank, Chamber one has a flow top to bottom? With InTank, Chamber two has water in on the lower level and across to the output. Above it there is a low flow area e.g. for bio material? My InTank should arrive tomorrow and I have some Seachem media to use. Going to toss the original foam to one side going forwards...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you understand the dangers of blocking the hole halfway down chamber 2. It's there so that a media blockage in chamber 1 and 2 does not result in a tank overflow.

The effect on filtration is negligible unless the flow is restricted too much in the media chambers.

There are many stories of tank overflows on this forum when that overflow is blocked.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back