Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is off topic but I cannot get a response from AquaEl heaters company... Has anyone tried using an inkbird thermometer with an AquaEl heater? I have one on a new 13.5 evo and would like the extra protection of having wifi alerts if any issues. I filled my back chambers with marinepure balls, intank basket, and ato. The AquaEl heater was perfect with the thinner profile. I have an Inkbird on my Redsea and love it and would like to use one on my evo as well but dont want to purchase one if it will not be compatible with the AquaEl heater.. Please advise fellow reefers!
I've never used that specific heater but just looked it up and I don't see any reason it would not work with the ink Bird. Anytime you use a heater with its own controller built in, set your set point on the heater unit a degree or higher than your ink bird set point.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your son has the best responses! :)
Like mother, like son :winking-face-with-tongue:.HAHA

Seriously though, his sweet demeanor and kindness is so pure and what I cherish most. I feel this insane momma bear desire to protect it all costs. I have no idea what I am going to do when he starts kindergarten. :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I'm going to be staring at all the other kids like...

Watching You Tina Fey GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mother, like son :winking-face-with-tongue:.HAHA

Seriously though, his sweet demeanor and kindness is so pure and what I cherish most. I feel this insane momma bear desire to protect it all costs. I have no idea what I am going to do when he starts kindergarten. :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I'm going to be staring at all the other kids like...

Watching You Tina Fey GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Just wait for Highschool.......

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is off topic but I cannot get a response from AquaEl heaters company... Has anyone tried using an inkbird thermometer with an AquaEl heater? I have one on a new 13.5 evo and would like the extra protection of having wifi alerts if any issues. I filled my back chambers with marinepure balls, intank basket, and ato. The AquaEl heater was perfect with the thinner profile. I have an Inkbird on my Redsea and love it and would like to use one on my evo as well but dont want to purchase one if it will not be compatible with the AquaEl heater.. Please advise fellow reefers!
I don't have experience either. You could purchase it from somewhere that has a really easy return policy. I hate using Amazon, but I will say they make it easy to return if it something doesnt work out.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The losses are so hard. Especially when you have to just sit there and watch the gradual (or not so gradual) decline and feel helpless. I've been in/out of this hobby for going on 20 years and I still go through stretches where I lose a few corals in succession and the "why do I bother?" and "maybe I should just break it down" thoughts run through my head.
100%. This happened so fast. I had felt pretty confident about my skill level to handle most LPS. Torches are still a no for me. The hammer made me nervous but I didn't think it would end as quickly as it did. Shortly after hitting my water, it was like "nope I'm out".
It makes me nervous about trying another one. Thanks for taking the time to relate. Hearing other people that feel the same or have experienced the same, helps me push through these moments.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets better, even if it gets worse first. Just keep trucking along. A big water change can help with any of the chemical problems in the tank and was basically my 13.5 factory reset.
My euphilia hate me, every few weeks something likes to go wrong…it usually works out. Shame I love them so much.
That hammer is in pretty bad condition, but don’t let it discourage you from future ones. Crap happens, it’s possible it just never acclimated well to its new environment.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had branching hammer go after a wall hammer, same branching hammer lives with other branching just fine?
I think I have a wall hammer (lots of mouths). It was sold to me as a branching.. But, the gold tip lived at what I think was a safe distance for a year. They never went after each other.
20220707_101552.jpg

Edit: I wont ever classify these guys as beginner. It seems to be more on the more intermediate to advanced care.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets better, even if it gets worse first. Just keep trucking along. A big water change can help with any of the chemical problems in the tank and was basically my 13.5 factory reset.
My euphilia hate me, every few weeks something likes to go wrong…it usually works out. Shame I love them so much.
That hammer is in pretty bad condition, but don’t let it discourage you from future ones. Crap happens, it’s possible it just never acclimated well to its new environment.
I was nervous about doing a large water change because I have been struggling to keep my nitrates at a detectable level in the evo since it is fishless. I'm going to run some tests tonight and revaluate.
Thanks for encouragement. I appreciate it :)

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%. This happened so fast. I had felt pretty confident about my skill level to handle most LPS. Torches are still a no for me. The hammer made me nervous but I didn't think it would end as quickly as it did. Shortly after hitting my water, it was like "nope I'm out".
It makes me nervous about trying another one. Thanks for taking the time to relate. Hearing other people that feel the same or have experienced the same, helps me push through these moments.
I absolutely hear you. Adding the first new coral, especially the same type, after losing one is so anxiety inducing. Definitely nothing wrong with taking your time.

Hopefully it doesn't discourage you from trying again when you're ready. I know there are a million reasons a coral may not work, but my best successes have come from systems with similar parameters to my own. Anything to keep the stress (the coral and my own) to a minimum really.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rmorris_14 sorry to jump in so late (work) but I would pull the hammer. Everything else you have done has been good. This just happens. Please don't get discouraged about hammers and the like. We will get you back on track.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rmorris_14 sorry to jump in so late (work) but I would pull the hammer. Everything else you have done has been good. This just happens. Please don't get discouraged about hammers and the like. We will get you back on track.
Thanks! Im going to pull it tonight when I get home.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just feed? Or are the lights off? That's the onion response I get after feeding.
Both my ricordeas look like that…I fed the inverts with rods reef complete early tonight and the lights are off… maybe that’s what is is? I’ll just wait and see what happening the morning I guess.
:confused: I’m just nervous about everything now

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my ricordeas look like that…I fed the inverts with rods reef complete early tonight and the lights are off… maybe that’s what is is? I’ll just wait and see what happening the morning I guess.
:confused: I’m just nervous about everything now
Looks like they are just closed up for the night.

When mushrooms are ticked, they Don't look like that. They will shrivel, change color, spitting white guts or just Melting out of existence. That homies tired.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are just closed up for the night.

When mushrooms are ticked, they Don't look like that. They will shrivel, change color, spitting white guts or just Melting out of existence. That homies tired.
Zooey Deschanel Fox GIF by New Girl

Happy to report, you were absolutely right. Everyone is back to looking normal this morning. Thanks again. I’m going to calm down now …… maybe :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00A3250B-7AB6-465D-8CFB-6737B5B800F7.jpeg

I think I have decided to keep the air stone in the tank. I don't like it in the display, so I placed it in the first chamber that also holds my heater (which is currently not in use) Since I don't run a skimmer, I figured this would help put more oxygen in the water consistently. I have already seen an increase in PH, which is good. :) The middle chamber holds some bio media and the stock filtration sponge. Does any see any issues with running the air stone in the first chamber with this setup?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back