Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I spoke to the Hub last night. He is adamant about the tank not going in the basement, even after I liquored him up a little. So I need to pick a new spot in the front room (main level) that will work. Before I spend too much time redesigning the layout of that room, I wanted to double check. If I put the tank perpendicular to the way the floor joists run, do I have to worry about the size/weight if I am not adding additonal support post below it in the basement.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I spoke to the Hub last night. He is adamant about the tank not going in the basement, even after I liquored him up a little. So I need to pick a new spot in the front room (main level) that will work. Before I spend too much time redesigning the layout of that room, I wanted to double check. If I put the tank perpendicular to the way the floor joists run, do I have to worry about the size/weight if I am not adding additonal support post below it in the basement.
How close is it to the nearest loadbearing wall in the basement?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close is it to the nearest loadbearing wall in the basement?
Depends on where I put it on the wall I am considering. I believe there is a load bearing wall for part of it. I will have to measure.
If there isnt... is there a size/weight that would be considered safe?
If I put it over on the wall that is load bearing, can I go as big as I want?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Depends on where I put it on the wall I am considering. I believe there is a load bearing wall for part of it. I will have to measure.
If there isnt... is there a size/weight that would be considered safe?
If I put it over on the wall that is load bearing, can I go as big as I want?
ooo; if its directly on-top of a wall that can support weight you could always do:
3/4" plywood doubled under stand ,flush w stand , would distribute weight by square foot equally,
hence stop deflection of joists...
to distribute the weight of.... any tank you want!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Load bearing and exterior walls would support more. But there is still a limit. What that limit is, I don't know and would depend on a lot ofr factors.
An engineer could come take a look and tell you for sure what, where and how big. Probably won't cost too much. My dad bills out for that type of thing for $150 an hour I think. I wouldn't probably trust under $80 to $100 unless it's a friend's and family discount. Looking at plans and coming back with stuff is probably an hour or less.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ooo; if its directly on-top of a wall that can support weight you could always do:

to distribute the weight of.... any tank you want!
yeah don't trust this wrassehole... he shoots his mouth off about everything...

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Load bearing and exterior walls would support more. But there is still a limit. What that limit is, I don't know and would depend on a lot ofr factors.
An engineer could come take a look and tell you for sure what, where and how big. Probably won't cost too much. My dad bills out for that type of thing for $150 an hour I think. I wouldn't probably trust under $80 to $100 unless it's a friend's and family discount. Looking at plans and coming back with stuff is probably an hour or less.
Thanks! I just spoke to my Framer. He has a guy that can help me figure it out based off the size of the joists and the span.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WARNING! I am now following your thread!

It's somewhere in this book too, shameless plug.

Is this your way of letting us know that you can math?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not me, my dad. I'm far worse, a theologian.

Oh my! I am about as far from a theologian as one can get. By choice. However, I have no desire to derail this thread with a possible theological discussion. ;)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my! I am about as far from a theologian as one can get. By choice. However, I have no desire to derail this thread with a possible theological discussion. ;)
Why's everyone
hide GIF

When I say that?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meh. it's just a conversation. some of my better at work are with "you people".

By, “you people”, I presume you mean intelligent and devastatingly handsome! ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back