Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure whether to be sad because of the necrosis and loss, happy because you like dangly bits or simply like the post because one cancels the other out! I’m so confused. :p
Thats how I roll.

Happy New Year GIF by HBO

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the placement of your new larger system and possible needed structural reinforcement; I know what I would be comfortable doing and how I would handle it but I am not a structural engineer. Therefore, and it pains me a little to do so, I’ll have to agree with @Mschmidt and say contact a licensed engineer.
I agree... I had a heart to heart with the hubs last night about it. Originally when he saw what I was going through trying to figure it out, he conceded by saying "I guess we just need to spend more time in the basement" AKA he is open to the idea of moving a larger tank down there. However, I'm not ready to give up just yet or I might just go with a smaller system so I can continue to enjoy a tank where we spend most of our time. The sister joints, although seems like an easy solution, still involves me cutting up my basement ceiling. I think i would rather find a licensed engineer (if possible) before I consider busting out the saw.

Until I decide what the best path is, I will just continue to live vicariously through @F i s h y :winking-face-with-tongue: .

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the placement of your new larger system and possible needed structural reinforcement; I know what I would be comfortable doing and how I would handle it but I am not a structural engineer. Therefore, and it pains me a little to do so, I’ll have to agree with @Mschmidt and say contact a licensed engineer.
I get the same thing from my wife. You will recover from the pain.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... I had a heart to heart with the hubs last night about it. Originally when he saw what I was going through trying to figure it out, he conceded by saying "I guess we just need to spend more time in the basement" AKA he is open to the idea of moving a larger tank down there. However, I'm not ready to give up just yet or I might just go with a smaller system so I can continue to enjoy a tank where we spend most of our time. The sister joints, although seems like an easy solution, still involves me cutting up my basement ceiling. I think i would rather find a licensed engineer (if possible) before I consider busting out the saw.

Until I decide what the best path is, I will just continue to live vicariously through @F i s h y :winking-face-with-tongue: .
at the end of the day, drywall and sister joists may cost as much as an engineer. Did you ever say how big you want to go? or just as large as you can and you want to know the upper limit? Because you might could seal and flood your basement and replace your floor with glass...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is always the option of having a small tank upstairs AND a big tank downstairs! ;)
I get the same thing from my wife. You will recover from the pain.

Nothing a bag of goodies and a bottle of wine will not fix!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the end of the day, drywall and sister joists may cost as much as an engineer. Did you ever say how big you want to go? or just as large as you can and you want to know the upper limit? Because you might could seal and flood your basement and replace your floor with glass...
no more than 200... but I think I could be happy with 125.

:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always the option of having a small tank upstairs AND a big tank downstairs! ;)

Nothing a bag of goodies and a bottle of wine will not fix!
the deal was with the husband was... bigger tank and I have to get rid of the others.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the deal was with the husband was... bigger tank and I have to get rid of the others.
You clearly need training in negotiating. For starters, I recommend anything by a guy named Chris Voss. ;)
but doable without sisters?
For a 125, figure 12 pounds per gallon = 1500 pounds. 1500 pounds at 9 square feet = 166.66 pounds per square foot. If going to a 180, which I would definitely do because of the 6 additional inches of width, puts you at 2160 pounds or 180 pounds per square foot. With 5 joists running under the tank, it’ll only cost about $100 - $120 to sister all of them. I consider that a cheap way to go for a lot of peace of mind.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With 5 joists running under the tank, it’ll only cost about $100 - $120 to sister all of them.
I cant imagine it would cost a lot to do unless there is a bunch of plumbing / electrical that needs to be moved so the boards can be doubled-up.
I don't think you'll know what's running until you open it up.
Drywall is only intimidating... Its super easy to fix.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks to me sitting on 5 joists, pretty much on top of beam ??
don't see a prob 180 gal tank ??
also, floor hardwood, fake plastic hard wood , carpet ?
worse case scenario ,add hard wood on top of hard wood under tank ,if carpet or pergo ,cut out ,
add 2 layers hard wood ...jmo... ;) :)

how many time's did he say wood...:p
WP_20200408_01_03_19_Pro.jpg
It's all about the WOOD... ;)
I did ask some questions ,unanswered Becky...:face-with-monocle:
jmo ,think this is doable...
@Eagle_Steve @Lost in the Sauce ??
@crusso1993 did the math... 180 lbs pr sq ft ,spread over 6' x 2' on an 8" steel beam...with the WOOD ,good to go...:face-with-monocle:
hard WOOD on top of hard WOOD ,on top of sub floor, correct me if i am wrong...;):)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 did the math... 180 lbs pr sq ft ,spread over 6' x 2' on an 8" steel beam...with the WOOD ,good to go...:face-with-monocle:
hard WOOD on top of hard WOOD ,on top of sub floor, correct me if i am wrong...;):)
@180 pounds per footsq and very little to any deflection, I would probably not have an issue with it.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the room is carpet. I’m assuming that changes it?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hard WOOD on top of hard WOOD ,on top of sub floor
sorry pasted ,cut out carpet and pad , 2 layers HARDWOOD flooring ,perp to each other ,shorter being top layer.
just under tank ,or can go a little bigger create a border, the bigger the better , stronger than carpet... ;) :)

I know...TWSS...:D

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard WOOD on top of hard WOOD ,on top of sub floor
sorry pasted ,cut out carpet and pad , 2 layers HARDWOOD flooring ,perp to each other ,shorter being top layer.
just under tank ,or can go a little bigger create a border, the bigger the better , stronger than carpet... ;) :)

I know...TWSS...:D
I would go a different route. Still cutting out the carpet and pad, but laying two 3/4" Domestic hardwood ply, that has been glued and screwed together at multiple, regular intervals in as a subfloor, over the subfloor.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back