Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nails. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Are you nail shaming me?!?!?!?
Dylan Sprouse Chess GIF by 1091

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interrupting the regularly scheduled build to spam my own thread. Today we went to the science museum and AQUARIUM!!!!
Happy Jonah Hill GIF

the aquarium part was small but still really fun. They had so many puffer fish my heart was smiling the whole time!!!
F2981A65-B146-4650-8768-1E0DAA1BDD49.jpeg

this one was HUGE!!!
83DDB426-5455-4EA1-ADE6-EA81149BD615.jpeg
C2167B3A-935C-49D2-8E79-EC5E21AF06AA.jpeg

161733B4-EB48-4FAA-98C9-7B46BB39AC81.jpeg

I love seeing the world through the eyes of my kids :star-struck:
6992BCFD-1C77-4C18-A58E-6B2EEFA9585E.jpeg
12EA5934-4795-4E45-8927-E606D8BEF6BC.jpeg
A0741DF4-ADE3-4F61-8749-AD40ABC3A81D.jpeg

799C4C5D-6D1D-4F1D-B305-C0BBA9DE02C6.jpeg

BAA434CF-FF73-4442-A324-18EA9F403E68.jpeg

my son couldnt stop laughing at this puffers sweet smile and blue eyes
C282D35A-3F44-467F-AC39-3304242AD849.jpeg

F0804BF4-B1B4-4407-B51A-CDA2DEC1BC3E.jpeg

@Sean Clark check out that planted mangrove!!!!!!
Wow what a day this must have been!

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reminder about the heater being in the return! That’s why we didn’t end up putting it there in our biocube. I’ll have to rethink that. I love the idea of your setup..However, to be honest I feel a little intimidated by the idea of refugiums. Would love to know a little bit more about yours.
Hey sorry been away for a while. Haha. Refugiums are pretty simple. The only time they can get confusing is when their too efficient and remove to many nutrients causing corals to suffer. But like all other forms of filtration they are adjustable up or down. Simply by modifying the lighting period and harvesting the algae will allow you to fine tune them.

For mine, as its a small area cheato worked the best. I used an LED from another tank. Just regular red/white/blue, nothing fancy and definitely not a fuge light. Although I have used the tunze fuge light and was very impressed with the results. But this was meant to be a simple set up using what I had to hand. I placed this up against the glass outside and just let it run an opposite lighting schedule to the tank lights.

With my weekly 5g water change that took all of 15min I never once had any algae issues as you can see from the pic.

I'd definitely recommend trying this as I also had so much more micro fauna life, pods etc due to no mechanical filtration. You'll see a skimmer in the pic as I went away for 3 weeks so wanted to run one. Ended up not needed though

Hopefully your tank is doing well whichever way you went.

20220510_233949.jpg

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a day this must have been!
Hey @NowGlazeIT! Thanks for popping into my build thread. It gets derailed a little for bantering and shenanigans, but thats what having fun on R2R is all about, right? ;)

That day was awesome! Spending time with my boys, while we share our love for all things aquatic, are the moments in life that make those plane rides (wink wink) totally worth it. They still get so excited over the little things. I wish I could freeze time and have them be this age forever. :loudly-crying-face: :pleading-face:

Feel free to pop in and provide some of your hilarious comic relief, or post pictures of that goat you take to the BBQ. :winking-face:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry been away for a while. Haha. Refugiums are pretty simple. The only time they can get confusing is when their too efficient and remove to many nutrients causing corals to suffer. But like all other forms of filtration they are adjustable up or down. Simply by modifying the lighting period and harvesting the algae will allow you to fine tune them.

For mine, as its a small area cheato worked the best. I used an LED from another tank. Just regular red/white/blue, nothing fancy and definitely not a fuge light. Although I have used the tunze fuge light and was very impressed with the results. But this was meant to be a simple set up using what I had to hand. I placed this up against the glass outside and just let it run an opposite lighting schedule to the tank lights.

With my weekly 5g water change that took all of 15min I never once had any algae issues as you can see from the pic.

I'd definitely recommend trying this as I also had so much more micro fauna life, pods etc due to no mechanical filtration. You'll see a skimmer in the pic as I went away for 3 weeks so wanted to run one. Ended up not needed though

Hopefully your tank is doing well whichever way you went.

20220510_233949.jpg
Hey! Thanks for popping back in! I cant take my eyes off your coral! Im still running stock everything HAHAHA. Haven't run into any algae issues though. probably because I don't keep fish in there. :star-struck: Tank is doing pretty good. I just need to fill it with some coral.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night- I have a murder hermit in the EVO on my hands. It appears to be the sole survivor. I knew they were dwindling in numbers. It isn't for the lack of shells. I have been maintaining the final three for some time now though. My hermits are fed like kings so I don't think it is for lack of food either. I came home last night to this remaining hermit, who apparently has been just biding his time and suddenly went on a war path. There was a blue leg carcass on one side of the tank and another one he was happily munching on with no regard to my disappointment. If I had a sump, he would be in. :expressionless-face: @Sharkbait19, Does your murder fish want a friend? I think they would hit it off.

This morning- I was sitting in the front family room where I have my Evo, Hospital tank, and now brine raising buckets set up. Drinking my coffee, saying good morning to the brine shrimp and assessing their size. :smiling-face: My husband walks in.....
Husband:"Ive been thinking"
Me: :oops: Thinking (what it could be now)
Husband: I think we should get rid of all the furniture in this room and just make it one big aquarium
Me:
Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

He was obviously joking and just once again teasing me about my hobby. :rolleyes:

@Miami Reef , He then leaned over the brine bucket and asked "what live animals are you going to try to raise next"
I responded with a grin..... "Worms" :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes::face-with-tears-of-joy::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
AND That's when he walked away.......

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-tears-of-joy: :grinning-face-with-sweat: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So funny!! I really enjoy the way you say stories. The suspense of “I’ve been thinking” and the anxiety and suspense that comes with it was depicted perfectly from your post.

I have a similar relationship with my tanks and my family.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe the hermit went on a killing spree. Was it the largest one?
I think so. However, the one it was eating was very closely matched in size. :oops: :rolleyes:
Your to funny! Love the thread.
Show this to your husband. You too could have this in your fish room..
800-gallon-L-shape-Aquarium-1024x682.jpg
First of all.. That is STUNNING and I sat with my face like an inch from the screen just trying to take it all in. :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: . I have actually requested doing something like this in our basement. I got vetoed. I think he is afraid I will never come upstairs lol.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. However, the one it was eating was very closely matched in size. :oops: :rolleyes:

First of all.. That is STUNNING and I sat with my face like an inch from the screen just trying to take it all in. :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: :star-struck: . I have actually requested doing something like this in our basement. I got vetoed. I think he is afraid I will never come upstairs lol.
Yeah we all want a tank like that! I pulled the pic from google and didnt even look to see where its at cause I dont wanna see it in person. It will just make me spend more money ;)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @NowGlazeIT! Thanks for popping into my build thread. It gets derailed a little for bantering and shenanigans, but thats what having fun on R2R is all about, right? ;)

That day was awesome! Spending time with my boys, while we share our love for all things aquatic, are the moments in life that make those plane rides (wink wink) totally worth it. They still get so excited over the little things. I wish I could freeze time and have them be this age forever. :loudly-crying-face: :pleading-face:

Feel free to pop in and provide some of your hilarious comic relief, or post pictures of that goat you take to the BBQ. :winking-face:
Haha I’ll tell you right now, your a warrior taking boys on a plane ride. I was just thinking about that goat hah ten bucks says they chicken out and start thinking up names before the hole gets dug. Shrimp kabobs will be less messy hah

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we all want a tank like that! I pulled the pic from google and didnt even look to see where its at cause I dont wanna see it in person. It will just make me spend more money ;)
Some day buddy! Gotta dream big

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-tears-of-joy: :grinning-face-with-sweat: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So funny!! I really enjoy the way you say stories. The suspense of “I’ve been thinking” and the anxiety and suspense that comes with it was depicted perfectly from your post.

I have a similar relationship with my tanks and my family.
Definitely... The ones that are deep in it anyways. It take that kind of passion to stick with it ;)

I think your post got moderated :thinking-face: :thinking-face: :thinking-face: :thinking-face:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely... The ones that are deep in it anyways. It take that kind of passion to stick with it ;)

I think your post got moderated :thinking-face: :thinking-face: :thinking-face: :thinking-face:
My post got moderated? Are you sure? I don’t see any of my words being changed in my latest post of this thread (the post before this one).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back