Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the reef. Great tank to start your adventure with. I have the same tank that has gone through multiple upgrades.
As for the flatworms, have you tried Flatworm Exit?
here's my tank from 10 months ago to now. Got tank 6_16_2021.jpeg
3_18_2022.jpg
That’s gorgeous!!!! No, on trying flatworm exit. I’m not super worried about the flatworms unless they start to take over and cause problems for my corals. I’m keeping an eye on it and may have to reconsider if things get out of control. I also wouldn’t be opposed to trying an arrow crab since there is no plan to have any fish in this tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s gorgeous!!!! No, on trying flatworm exit. I’m not super worried about the flatworms unless they start to take over and cause problems for my corals. I’m keeping an eye on it and may have to reconsider if things get out of control. I also wouldn’t be opposed to trying an arrow crab since there is no plan to have any fish in this tank.
A solo sixline would be possible if you ever decided to get fish. It should eat flatworms.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solo sixline would be possible if you ever decided to get fish. It should eat flatworms.
I don't think a six line would fair well in a 32 biocube. Great fish though.
Perhaps a spotted mandarin would be more appropriate.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a six line would fair well in a 32 biocube. Great fish though.
Perhaps a spotted mandarin would be more appropriate.
I would LOVE a mandarin one day. The tank with the flatworms is the 13.5 though, so that’s an even worse scenario for all the fish that eat them. If the biocube wasn’t fully stocked, I could move it over. I think at this point the only
Options in the evo, is manual removal, arrow crab, or fingers crossed, it doesn’t come to chemicals. I’m really gun shy about bottle fixes after the whole vibrant debacle. :confused-face:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to this awesome build thread!

How are the Mexican turbos doing with the film algae? I need to get me some because they are workhorses!

I need an update FTS!! ;)

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to this awesome build thread!

How are the Mexican turbos doing with the film algae? I need to get me some because they are workhorses!

I need an update FTS!! ;)
Hey!!! Welcome to my build thread. Its SUPER low tech and very slow moving…lol.
All but one of the turbos were moved to the DT. They definitely work well on the glass. I don’t see them on my rocks as much as I would like. I have some zebra turbos too (one is an absolute monster) that spends more time on the rocks.
My evo coral and invert quarantine had to be put on hold.
It’s a long story but my Banggai cardinal has been declining in health for over a month and I can’t figure out why. When we got home from vacation, her tank mates had turned on her despite them all living peacefully for over a year. They had nipped at her fins to the point she was swimming funny in my biocube a flow. I had to make a quick decision to get her out. Since the evo was already established and salinity matched, I plopped her in.
BC49E7C0-E3E0-4F4E-99C5-1AE0003ADB38.jpeg
I’ve been babying her in there since. I’m working on converting my 10 gallon hospital tank to a more permanent solution so I can get my evo back to being fishless. I’ve got a RFA itch that needs to be scratched STAT!!!!!!!!!! And I don’t want to buy anything until she is moved. I’m pretty sure she is blind based of my observations. Getting her to eat has become super time consuming and is becoming more hit or miss. Anyways… that’s where I’m at!!!! Thanks for popping in :winking-face: . The nice thing about my evo and biocube is I didn’t have to hang the lights.:winking-face-with-tongue:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such a good sense of humor! I like that haha.

I hope the bangaii does better. You are so caring! I am looking forward to the RFA garden. They are so entertaining when you watch them eat. You’ll know what I’m talking about once you get them. :)

Ps. I love low tech tanks. I consider my tank low tech. People wanted me to get roller mats, calcium reactors, apex, auto water changes etc but I honestly feel more comfortable with the simple, proven technology.

I am in the process of getting an Apex, but NOT as a way to automate my system. It’s more of an alarm if any equipment stops working/shuts down because I travel sometimes and also get hurricanes almost yearly in Miami.

I do not want a trident. Just simple. The more simple, the less prone to failures.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such a good sense of humor! I like that haha.

I hope the bangaii does better. You are so caring! I am looking forward to the RFA garden. They are so entertaining when you watch them eat. You’ll know what I’m talking about once you get them. :)

Ps. I love low tech tanks. I consider my tank low tech. People wanted me to get roller mats, calcium reactors, apex, auto water changes etc but I honestly feel more comfortable with the simple, proven technology.

I am in the process of getting an Apex, but NOT as a way to automate my system. It’s more of an alarm if any equipment stops working/shuts down because I travel sometimes and also get hurricanes almost yearly in Miami.

I do not want a trident. Just simple. The more simple, the less prone to failures.
Thanks! I hope she gets better too but it isn't look so good. She has dropped a ton of weight. The fact that she was so fat before all this began is why I think she is still around. I'm going to try treating with general cure in the hospital tank once I get her moved as a hail mary. I just don't know what else to do.

"The more simple, the less prone to failures." 100% I see some people going full automation, and then having back up for the automation. It reminds me of a quote from Enemy of the State when Will Smith's wife says "well who is going to monitor the monitors" lol Eventually something is going to fail and if you aren't paying attention, I think it has more catastrophic effects. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though. I don't even have ATOs :::face palm::::

Embarrassed Shame GIF

I do have a WIFI inkbird though.... so that's a little fancy. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever considered having a back wall full of gsp?
I had not. Probably not for good reason though. I’ve seen others do that but GSP and I have a love/hate relationship. I love how easy it is to grow and frag. BUT it has left a bitter taste in my mouth.
The person I got my biocube from placed it on the the top of the largest and main arch of my aquascape. I know eventually it is going to take over everything, :(. I have tried getting it off but the only way to get it off rocks is to scrub it off. Not fun.
FC69FC2C-255C-4F2D-B84E-BF7256565114.jpeg
So short of plotting it’s complete demise, I’m hesitate to eagerly add it in places where it can spread in my other tanks. You bring up a good question though. I’ve heard it is much easier to remove from glass and in the evo, the back glass up against the wall isn’t really providing much viewing room. :thinking-face: . Could be cool. (I can’t believe that is actually being said about GSP)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had not. Probably not for good reason though. I’ve seen others do that but GSP and I have a love/hate relationship. I love how easy it is to grow and frag. BUT it has left a bitter taste in my mouth.
The person I got my biocube from placed it on the the top of the largest and main arch of my aquascape. I know eventually it is going to take over everything, :(. I have tried getting it off but the only way to get it off rocks is to scrub it off. Not fun.
FC69FC2C-255C-4F2D-B84E-BF7256565114.jpeg
So short of plotting it’s complete demise, I’m hesitate to eagerly add it in places where it can spread in my other tanks. You bring up a good question though. I’ve heard it is much easier to remove from glass and in the evo, the back glass up against the wall isn’t really providing much viewing room. :thinking-face: . Could be cool. (I can’t believe that is actually being said about GSP)
I just got 2 frags of different GSP that I plan to grow from each top-back corner of my 120. Your tank escapades are awesome! keep up the good work! Arrow crabs are awesome btw.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 frags of different GSP that I plan to grow from each top-back corner of my 120. Your tank escapades are awesome! keep up the good work! Arrow crabs are awesome btw.
Hey Sam! Thanks for stopping in to check out my build thread. It is pretty puny compared to the work you have done with yours. :winking-face: I've enjoyed following your journey. I think the Arrow crabs are so cool looking. A lot of people dont like them because of their spidery legs. But as I said in The Miami reef thread, there isnt a crab I have seen, that I don't like. Right now my flatworms are staying super low numbers ( I have only seen a few since I cleared them out. If that remains the case, I've got my heart set on a pom pom crab for this evo.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone is having a happy Sunday!

The weekend has been a busy! Lots of outside time with the kiddos :cool: but some new stuff going on with the tanks..

I got the hospital tank finished up and ready to move the cardinal out of the evo, so it can go back to fishless QT. The cardinal is being dosed with API general cure. So far, there has been no change. :( it’s only been a little over a day though.
01F62DE8-0E38-4E53-A878-4D96896F0EC6.jpeg

I started hatching baby brine shrimp using the hatchery I ordered from BRS. It’s was insanely easy. Which I rejoiced, because how often does that happen in this hobby!?!?! Hahaha.;) They started hatching by the next day .
04DC6967-A44D-4E7C-8D44-A8E601837083.jpeg
I also started up a makeshift brine grow out “tank”. In my true high tech nature.. it’s a bucket with an air stone. Food is phyto and I put a tiny bit of boiled egg yolk in there today.
ACACE9F8-D200-4102-BE29-0D8AE0822303.jpeg

I ordered one of these for a water change.
61229D1B-8EA8-47E3-84C5-EB8633574597.jpeg
Since there isn’t a bunch of water in there, I’m going to try to change it around the third day… but I’ve read others that recommend only once a week. The goal of this is to grow out the brine shrimp large enough for my cardinal to get excited about. I dumped a bunch of babies on her head the first day they hatched, but she just acted like gnats where swarming around her face, or she walked into a spider web lol.
Freak Out Ugh GIF by Dora and the Lost City of Gold

The fish in the biocube LOVE the babies. So if the grow out bucket venture is a flop, I’ll still use the hatchery. I’m just kind of winging it, so chances of success is pretty low lol.

Tonight or tomorrow I want to spent some time getting the Evo cleaned up. The glass has gotten pretty bad.
4295BF80-B5B9-450A-8575-A152EBD174EC.jpeg
Positive: there is some coraline starting to spread of on the rocks though!!!! Here is one spec, but there are several others.
7767D3D9-A407-49A9-A0B7-BD778E116A6F.jpeg

The flatworm situation seems to still be under control.

Now for the sad news. It is with a heavy heart that I believe we lost Mr. crabs in our biocube tonight. This one stings. My emerald has been acting off. Rarely coming out during feedings and not really responsive when I try to give him some. I assumed he was getting ready for an molt. Tonight I found him upside down. NOW, I have been fooled by a molt before. This one however, was different than the last time. The body smelled bad AND there was a good amount of meat inside the body cavity.
7DC15E6C-9D7C-4859-A408-09E8A5434EBA.jpeg
I’m going to run a few tests later but as of right now everyone else seems ok and is acting normal. Not a great ending to a Sunday evening. I’m feeling pretty down about it.:crying-face: FD23602D-2316-4904-AFA5-5EC2510CC5F6.jpeg

Last edited:

NanoReefy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Welcome back to the hobby.

***Do not put the heater in the return chamber*** the water evaporates from there and this could expose the heater causing it to crack. Put that in the first or second chamber.

I have set up a small nano again recently and use chamber 1 for a refugium, 2 for heater and some bio balls, 3 for return.

No skimmer and mechanical. Since your planning on a fish less tank this may work well for you to. Just food for thought, .

20220106_213433.jpg 20220105_133417.jpg
Wow see this is something I was wondering for my self. I am running the current Flugal stuff it came with. I also put a skimmer on mine. I was wondering or thinking maybe doing away with the skimmer and running refungium also to move my heater in chamber 3 (the return) as I have all ready seen my heater above water once. Loving the set up BTW!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. :)
HEY HEY! Whats going on? I'm just over here trying to get these brine shrimp to a noticeable size for the cardinal! Almost a week later and they are still tiny.
Staring George Costanza GIF

Feel free to overnight me some of those white worms. HA!
We finished out last stage of general cure last night so it was followed with the water change and adding carbon. There has been no improvement however, and she hasn't eaten a bite of food since I moved her over for treatment. :confused-face:

On a happier note

Chris Pratt Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

woot woot! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses::star-struck:;):grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back