Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D4E09CCD-87CE-4819-955F-DAD8926A71A6.jpeg

More bad news bears this morning :confused-face: Looks like I’m-definitely going to lose the whole thing. The right side is almost completely bailed and the left side started spewing it’s guts out of the mouth.
the water was also little cloudy this morning. I assume a slight bacteria bloom. I change out the carbon just in case it was something else and put an air stone in the water to up the oxygen. Was that a bad idea? When I take it out could that cause a drastic ph swing? I feel like I’m doubting everything I was confident about before :( thoughts?
DF57C71D-FC34-4F8A-B5E9-0E20B4C99C31.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry,too far gone take it out, air& carbon great help on removing possible toxins.
hang tight for @F i s h y or @Lost in the Sauce advice on tank treatment if necessary... :(
you're fine ,not at fault, it happens ...;):)

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think the air stone was a good idea, I doubt the pH swing would be that drastic. I don't know what todo in this situation; I wish I could help! sorry you're going through it!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry,too far gone take it out, air& carbon great help on removing possible toxins.
hang tight for @F i s h y or @Lost in the Sauce advice on tank treatment if necessary... :(
Thanks for helping. Is it ok to wait to take it out until I get home tonight? I could run home if need be. But I don't get a lunch break so I would rather wait, unless you think it could hurt the tank.
you're fine ,not at fault, it happens ...;):)
Thanks for the encouragement. I was not prepared for how this feels :confused-face:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for helping. Is it ok to wait to take it out until I get home tonight? I could run home if need be. But I don't get a lunch break so I would rather wait, unless you think it could hurt the tank.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was not prepared for how this feels :confused-face:
My apologies. Hard for me to believe still. Not even sure how it can happen.
Gold tip hammer destroyed my favorite hammer colony.

2006 reefing. I'm pretty numb to the pain. Fish deaths actually hurt bad still. I've been caring for fish since I was 8.

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I’m relatively new to REEF2REEF. I’ve posted some threads looking for guidance on variance things and everyone is awesome! My 5 year old son was begging for a pet. When I asked him what kind of pet he wanted, he said, “a cat.” I proceeded to laugh out loud and said “well that is never going to happen”. I’m not much of a cat person. Dog lover here, however our lives are a little too chaotic to take on that kind of responsibility. So when I asked him to pick again, he responded “a clown fish”. Ok that’s something we can talk about........I had a couple of saltwater tanks in high school, so it wasn’t completely foreign to me. Although, I now realize how little I actually knew and feel bad for some of the mistakes I made without doing any research. I knew that if we invested in a tank, it would be more cost effective for us to find a set up used, from someone getting out of the hobby. We live in Indiana, so there aren’t a ton of reefers that I am aware of nearby. I researched and researched and researched and decided to go with the biocube 32. Now to find someone nearby that was selling theirs. I’ll make the rest of that part short because this build thread isn’t about our biocube. We found one, stocked but with a GHA algae problem. Since I didn’t get to “build” that one. I wanted to start a thread for our Evo. We have been battling the GHA in our biocube with frequent water changes, scrubbing, and dosing with the vibrant. It’s coming along but we really need to up our cleanup crew and eventually I would like to add more corals. I started reading about QT tanks and decided we would need to start one for our inverts and corals that we plan on adding on to our Biocube. At first I thought we would just do something really basic. But the more I researched, the more I was drawn to doing a quarantine tank that was also kind of nano build for invert and corals only and we can move to Biocube as needed.

After I purchased the Evo, I started to look at changing the filtration to be closer to how our biocube works. Eventually, I’d like to have a media basket in chamber 1, bio media in chamber 2 and heater and return in the third. In the interest of not spending even more money and to get the tank up and running for our needed CUC, I decided to stick with the stock sponge filter and just plan on changing it later. I think since it will be fishless, the stock should be more than enough for now. I would also like to had a little wavemaker once we start adding the corals.
Today, I did a leak test before we got started.

8C139ECA-FC97-4EFC-AA40-C0B982714575.jpeg

Everything looked ok, so I emptied it and started playing with the small aquascape. I bought dry live caribsea rock from our Local pet store. The nearest reef store is about an hour away . It’s not exactly what I had in mind but it will do until I can get somewhere with more of selection.

D7026A10-AC7B-472B-92CF-2D8221A93E7F.jpeg

Added live sand- caribsea bahamas oolite. The amount was more than what I expected but I decided to go with and I can vacuum some out later if I don’t like it. One of my favorite snails is the Nassarius Snail. Is that weird? Hahaha. I wanted them to have a nice sand bed to roam through.

Added the water, and now just waiting for the water to clear up.
CA813CCE-C590-4B2C-A850-947F95E97768.jpeg

That’s all for tonight. Hope to connect with others and their nano builds along the way!
Congrats! You're going to love the Evo =] It was my first tank as well. Just stay on top of water changes and you'll be fine

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies. Hard for me to believe still. Not even sure how it can happen.
Gold tip hammer destroyed my favorite hammer colony.

2006 reefing. I'm pretty numb to the pain. Fish deaths actually hurt bad still. I've been caring for fish since I was 8.
How did the gold tip destroy your other colony?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did the gold tip destroy your other colony?
Makes no sense when you see other hammers next to each other in hundreds of tanks.

The gold tip just reached out and nuked several heads. Went from 13 to 2. Once those 2 heads recovered and showed health. I had to know if the gold did it. Placed last 2 near gold tip. They were done.

Edit: longer story than that.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E88D7E38-B4F8-48D9-A530-44D681DFBB5D.jpeg

In other positive news….At least my lettuce doesn’t hate me. :star-struck:

I was feeling pretty bummed out this morning after walking down to the Evo. My oldest son came in the room wrapped his arms around me and told me he loved me very much. :smiling-face:

In that moment none of the other stuff mattered. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Hankcorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is off topic but I cannot get a response from AquaEl heaters company... Has anyone tried using an inkbird thermometer with an AquaEl heater? I have one on a new 13.5 evo and would like the extra protection of having wifi alerts if any issues. I filled my back chambers with marinepure balls, intank basket, and ato. The AquaEl heater was perfect with the thinner profile. I have an Inkbird on my Redsea and love it and would like to use one on my evo as well but dont want to purchase one if it will not be compatible with the AquaEl heater.. Please advise fellow reefers!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, so sorry about the hammer. I swear "Big Euphyllia" is lying to us all by calling them "easy" corals so they can sell them by the bunches. I have a frogspawn that seems to be fine and two hammers that appear to be just barely hanging on (for the better part of a year at this point) in spite of allegedly more difficult coral thriving.

The losses are so hard. Especially when you have to just sit there and watch the gradual (or not so gradual) decline and feel helpless. I've been in/out of this hobby for going on 20 years and I still go through stretches where I lose a few corals in succession and the "why do I bother?" and "maybe I should just break it down" thoughts run through my head.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, so sorry about the hammer. I swear "Big Euphyllia" is lying to us all by calling them "easy" corals so they can sell them by the bunches. I have a frogspawn that seems to be fine and two hammers that appear to be just barely hanging on (for the better part of a year at this point) in spite of allegedly more difficult coral thriving.

The losses are so hard. Especially when you have to just sit there and watch the gradual (or not so gradual) decline and feel helpless. I've been in/out of this hobby for going on 20 years and I still go through stretches where I lose a few corals in succession and the "why do I bother?" and "maybe I should just break it down" thoughts run through my head.
Haha! “Big euphyllia” … “big pharma”

I got the joke. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Back