Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last dosing, I didn't count drops. Just poured an entire bottle in and left it...
I did the same once due to macro eating flatworms. This was when tied to the nem tank. Only snails had issues, but none died. About 300 gallons of water and it took 12 bottles killed them lol. Then again in 4 days and again in 4 days. Wasn’t taking a chance lol.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same once due to macro eating flatworms. This was when tied to the nem tank. Only snails had issues, but none died. About 300 gallons of water and it took 12 bottles killed them lol. Then again in 4 days and again in 4 days. Wasn’t taking a chance lol.
I think I was about 1 bottle, to 30 gallons or so.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that would be my concern as well.

I guess I'll preface this with saying I consider snails to be replaceable. They aren't expensive, and don't live that long. I'll peeve all of the snails, before I break a quarrentine into a clean tank.
Yeah they have been helping me a lot with it.. the only place I have to put them would be my
Other tank. Wouldn’t that risk transferring the flatworms?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so are ghost flatworm really that much a nuisance? I keep reading mixed review about it?
It's getting rid of them that is the headache. Ghost is much safer, but the issue is they can block light from reaching coral. Jake Adams has an infestation of some kind in his torch tank he has to manually treat now and again. Better to tackle it now, rather than later.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a ghost flattie from a red flattie from a carpet flattie.

None of them are invited to Lost parties.
Agree... aggressive destruction... just to be sure they do not become an issue

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would keep any fish diseases from entering the dt.
How so? You put a clean fish into a clean system. You still have a clean system.

The transmission of fish diseases on coral when being removed from plugs and dipped is almost non-existent.

You either have a clean system or a dirty system. If you maintain a clean system, it stays clean.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it isn’t too frequent, ich, brook, velvet, etc. can all be transferred on coral. By keeping them out of a tank with fish for 76 days, you can make sure that all disease has died before putting them in with the fish.
Dipping doesn’t do much for the common fish diseases. It’s really more for hitchhiker control.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it isn’t too frequent, ich, brook, velvet, etc. can all be transferred on coral. By keeping them out of a tank with fish for 76 days, you can make sure that all disease has died before putting them in with the fish.
Dipping doesn’t do much for the common fish diseases. It’s really more for hitchhiker control.
How many people do you know PERSONALLY, that contacted ick, brook, or velvet, from a coral addition? I'm in the disease forum as often as you are. I Never see it. Have you?

I think you're regurgitating some of that "conventional wisdom" that doesn't have much of a dire basis in Reality.

Given a day, I doubt we're could find Five combined actual cases between us with the garbage search function.

If we believe that fish from the LFS are "dirty" and need to be qt for fish disease because we have seen it happen a thousand times.

And we know that Most people do not QT coral for fish diseases, and do not contact them, from the Dirty stores, then we need some intellectual consistency here.

Is it POSSIBLE, yes it is.

I would bet Anyone a head of my favorite torch to show that more people get fish diseases from coral addition, than cross contamination.

I'll bet it's 10x as many.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely right - it is more of a chance/covering all the bases thing. I think I have maybe traced one or two instances on the forum to corals (but there could have been other factors).
I personally don’t qt corals (I wish I did though), it’s just an added layer of security.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back