Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping doesn’t do much for the common fish diseases. It’s really more for hitchhiker control.
You forgot the more important part of that.
when being removed from plugs and dipped
The removal of coral from plugs and rock removes most viability of transfer. No stage of the lifecycle of ick or velvet lives On coral tissue and flesh from my understanding.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely right - it is more of a chance/covering all the bases thing. I think I have maybe traced one or two instances on the forum to corals (but there could have been other factors).
I personally don’t qt corals (I wish I did though), it’s just an added layer of security.
It's a juice vs squeeze thing to me. I don't personally believe keeping a coral system fishless, is an intrinsic benefit, vs the net Good that can be done by some fish, including just pooping all the time. I feed fish HEAVY in QT why not feed the coral heavy with what they naturally eat?

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot the more important part of that.

The removal of coral from plugs and rock removes most viability of transfer. No stage of the lifecycle of ick or velvet lives On coral tissue and flesh from my understanding.
True, but LPS all have a stony base which parasites can theoretically attach to.

I personally stopped quarantining coral. It’s so annoying and too much stress. I got ich anyway, most tanks have it.

I’ve tried hard to keep it out, but my tank is large and I’m constantly adding living things to it. I’m much happier now that I’m managing ich.

I still QT my fish, but I only copper for 10 days.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely right - it is more of a chance/covering all the bases thing. I think I have maybe traced one or two instances on the forum to corals (but there could have been other factors).
I personally don’t qt corals (I wish I did though), it’s just an added layer of security.
Nope not even an added layer of security... its foolish folk lore... im so tired of regurgitating information that sounds good but means absolutely nothing... no empirical data exists to even begin to support any argument for qt'ing inverts or coral... its all garbage... proper dipping and transferring yes... qt... no...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not even an added layer of security... its foolish folk lore... im so tired of regurgitating information that sounds good but means absolutely nothing... no empirical data exists to even begin to support any argument for qt'ing inverts or coral... its all garbage... proper dipping and transferring yes... qt... no...
I think the only benefit to qt corals is hitchhiker algae and non fish parasites. I've gotten an ACAN order from Unique Corals which had blue clove polyps on 3/10 frags.

I caught them Quick and ended up throwing them the hell away. Aptasia scares people to death for some reason. I get it for a short time to observe and ensure it's Clean.

That's not a 70+ day process.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that would be my concern as well.

I guess I'll preface this with saying I consider snails to be replaceable. They aren't expensive, and don't live that long. I'll peeve all of the snails, before I break a quarrentine into a clean tank.
I've had same group of snails in my tank for 5yrs. And they have grow considerably

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any turbo I add to the tank is lucky to make it a year.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any turbo I add to the tank is lucky to make it a year.
I stopped buying them after lasting 6mo. They probably starve in reality because I hardly grow any algae to begin with and have 300 assorted snails.... There is one left in the anemone tank some how. . . Carpet likes snails.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped buying them after lasting 6mo. They probably starve in reality because I hardly grow any algae to begin with and have 300 assorted snails.... There is one left in the anemone tank some how. . . Carpet likes snails.
Very interesting. It took notes from the other snails screaming for help.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run systems with full qt of everything, but ain’t no way corals sit for 76 days in a fishless qt.

depending on the coral, it may get dipped and placed or sit for 5-10 days to observe.

Chances of ich or whatever getting into your tank from corals is almost non-existent. And this kid coming from the guy with 3 Achilles, pnt, white cheek and a few other “ich magnets”. Yes I feed well, but I can stress the tanks and still not have spots show up.

I do hybrid TTM, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Labor intensive, but not a poison.

For corals, sps gets dipped, pulled off plug, dipped again, glued on new plug and watched for 5 days. Lps gets dipped, Skelton scrubbed with toothbrush and h2o2, rinsed, dipped and watched for 7-10 days. Nps and nems get flushed 2 times, light iodine bath, rinsed and placed in tanks. If treatment is needed, they get treated.

This whole cysts inside corals baffles me. I want to see somewhere where someone found cysts alive in the “digestive tract” of corals/nems. Once water enters most corals, it is “digested” inside of them. While not very acidic like our stomachs, there are still enzymes present that convert organic matter into things for the coral to consume. Sps can digest pods, lps can digest mysis, nems can digest fish, nps can digest whatever fits inside. See where I am going here.

Only concern is plugs, disks and skeletons. 2 of those are man made and can be removed. The other can be scrubbed wit a toothbrush and h2o2 to remove any. Just the h2o2 alone will bust 99% of any eggs. The tooth brush cover the other 1%.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This whole cysts inside corals baffles me. I want to see somewhere where someone found cysts alive in the “digestive tract” of corals/nems. Once water enters most corals, it is “digested” inside of them. While not very acidic like our stomachs, there are still enzymes present that convert organic matter into things for the coral to consume.
I was too tired to get involved last night. Fell asleep somewhere reading about ich on coral. I think it may have started with people blaming new additions (snails, urchins, coral) name it, on the reason their quarantined fish got ick, velvet. Edit: forgot to add, they probably didn't want to confess they just threw the fish in t heir tank and never did quarantine to prevent backlash.

I have never had that in all the years of reefing happen to me.
I also do not eliminate sponge unless it creeps on a coral. If it minds its own business I just let them be. I honestly believe sponges, tunicates eat these unseen parasites. That's just me.

Everyone can practice what works for them, pick a method and use it for as long as it lasts. Until it don't. There's other issues fish get. And I am terrified of marine leeches.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was too tired to get involved last night. Fell asleep somewhere reading about ich on coral. I think it may have started with people blaming new additions (snails, urchins, coral) name it, on the reason their quarantined fish got ick, velvet. Edit: forgot to add, they probably didn't want to confess they just threw the fish in t heir tank and never did quarantine to prevent backlash.

I have never had that in all the years of reefing happen to me.
I also do not eliminate sponge unless it creeps on a coral. If it minds its own business I just let them be. I honestly believe sponges, tunicates eat these unseen parasites. That's just me.

Everyone can practice what works for them, pick a method and use it for as long as it lasts. Until it don't. There's other issues fish get. And I am terrified of marine leeches.
Let’s simplify this. We won’t even get into exact sizes. Most food for most corals is the same size as ich trophents. Tons of little mouths, equals ich trophent predation.

As for snails, same as lps. Scrub the shells and wipe down with h2o2 and rinse. Super simple and easier than corals.

Qt, no qt, it can all work. Just have to be diligent about whatever method you choose. There are extremes though. Copper is one of them IMO. I want to see a 30 year old fish who has been through copper. My clowns are that old, most my tangs are over 12 years old. They all went through hypo years ago. And probably not the most accurate hypo lol. But that was when ich was not bad, velvet was very rare and there were not 100k fish waiting to be shipped in 1000 gallons of water.

But again, I agree pick one way and stick with it

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s simplify this. We won’t even get into exact sizes. Most food for most corals is the same size as ich trophents. Tons of little mouths, equals ich trophent predation.
More reasons to love these critters. I didn't want to get too complicated. But, an interesting conversation. No one ever talks about what eats these parasites. We can get into the mass of the oceans water volume, but if ich/velvet had no predator... It would wipe the entire ocean out. If fish can use currents to travel, so can ich/velvet.

Now if only sponges ate flatworms....

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alex Honnold Reaction GIF by Outside TV

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back