Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On what, by whom?

I keep formalin on hand and happy I do. That's likely the only reason the clown boy is currently Alive.
I am not sure how much you care for humblefish's reports.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

I don't take this with a grain of salt, as I have had poor experience myself with it. I cannot scientifically prove anything I have experienced. The fish I have in the past treated with formulin lived with short life spans and should have lived to 10 yrs old age or so.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't take this with a grain of salt, as I have had poor experience myself with it. I cannot scientifically prove anything I have experienced. The fish I have in the past treated with formulin lived with short life spans and should have lived to 10 yrs old age or so.
Ya I agree but sometimes. Death now or shorter life span.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like HF. Knowing that formaldehyde is a carcinogen, precautions should be taken for sure.

I'm not sure that I would use it a treatment prophylacticlly but in a pinch, it's Clutch.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like HF. Knowing that formaldehyde is a carcinogen, precautions should be taken for sure.

I'm not sure that I would use it a treatment prophylacticlly but in a pinch, it's Clutch.
He has a lot of good information on treatment, it's risk vs reward for us. No matter what we do. At least we do have treatment options. We don't want these illnesses to get into our displays. It's why I did put Eli in the qt. I could not risk what eels bring in with them.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. I had no idea my thread popped off with so much useful dialog. Of course, I received no notification :face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes::face-with-rolling-eyes:.
Thanks everyone for sharing your input. It has given me a lot to think about for sure!!!! I love hearing what you guys think and have experienced. :star-struck::star-struck::star-struck::star-struck:

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mibu so update on the flatworms. I siphoned out several into a jar with 6 ounces of water. I put two drops of the flatworm exit in. Waited 20 minutes before I had to leave. Those little things are still alive! :eek: :eek: :eek:
what the heck? I’ll check on them again later. But surely, that would have done the trick if it was going to work, right!?!?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Mibu so update on the flatworms. I siphoned out several into a jar with 6 ounces of water. I put two drops of the flatworm exit in. Waited 20 minutes before I had to leave. Those little things are still alive! :eek: :eek: :eek:
what the heck? I’ll check on them again later. But surely, that would have done the trick if it was going to work, right!?!?
They may not at all be effected by fw exit. Next one to try is peroxide, got a hob filter going?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And so you know, I am not making this up. Just like with flatworm exit, some are resistant to peroxide.

Most algae also hates peroxide. It shouldn't hurt coral in the dose used to kill byropsis and stun fws.

What this guy says is 'Add 5 drops of peroxide and observe the reactions. If they start swimming in circles that is a good sign" To 1 cup of tank water.

Grab some flatworms, let them settle before you add peroxide.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so you know, I am not making this up. Just like with flatworm exit, some are resistant to peroxide.

Most algae also hates peroxide. It shouldn't hurt coral in the dose used to kill byropsis and stun fws.

What this guy says is 'Add 5 drops of peroxide and observe the reactions. If they start swimming in circles that is a good sign" To 1 cup of tank water.

Grab some flatworms, let them settle before you add peroxide.
I think I have heard that peroxide can be very harmful to shrimp. Have you read or heard anything like that?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have heard that peroxide can be very harmful to shrimp. Have you read or heard anything like that?
Oh right you got shrimp in there. That maybe a no go. I have only used peroxide to kill pests on new corals. Never truly added to my tank. Hmm I'll see if I can find anything that says it is safe to use with shrimp

Edit: The amount of peroxide needed to handle flatworms will murder your shrimp, this is a no go.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right you got shrimp in there. That maybe a no go. I have only used peroxide to kill pests on new corals. Never truly added to my tank. Hmm I'll see if I can find anything that says it is safe to use with shrimp
I guess if I needed to.. I could take the shrimp out… the only reservation I have about that is I will want them to go back in once done. And catching them in the cube will probably require a scape tear down

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back