Biocube and custom 80 gal buildish build, Evo no more. There is some reef related content, sometimes.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I’m relatively new to REEF2REEF. I’ve posted some threads looking for guidance on variance things and everyone is awesome! My 5 year old son was begging for a pet. When I asked him what kind of pet he wanted, he said, “a cat.” I proceeded to laugh out loud and said “well that is never going to happen”. I’m not much of a cat person. Dog lover here, however our lives are a little too chaotic to take on that kind of responsibility. So when I asked him to pick again, he responded “a clown fish”. Ok that’s something we can talk about........I had a couple of saltwater tanks in high school, so it wasn’t completely foreign to me. Although, I now realize how little I actually knew and feel bad for some of the mistakes I made without doing any research. I knew that if we invested in a tank, it would be more cost effective for us to find a set up used, from someone getting out of the hobby. We live in Indiana, so there aren’t a ton of reefers that I am aware of nearby. I researched and researched and researched and decided to go with the biocube 32. Now to find someone nearby that was selling theirs. I’ll make the rest of that part short because this build thread isn’t about our biocube. We found one, stocked but with a GHA algae problem. Since I didn’t get to “build” that one. I wanted to start a thread for our Evo. We have been battling the GHA in our biocube with frequent water changes, scrubbing, and dosing with the vibrant. It’s coming along but we really need to up our cleanup crew and eventually I would like to add more corals. I started reading about QT tanks and decided we would need to start one for our inverts and corals that we plan on adding on to our Biocube. At first I thought we would just do something really basic. But the more I researched, the more I was drawn to doing a quarantine tank that was also kind of nano build for invert and corals only and we can move to Biocube as needed.

After I purchased the Evo, I started to look at changing the filtration to be closer to how our biocube works. Eventually, I’d like to have a media basket in chamber 1, bio media in chamber 2 and heater and return in the third. In the interest of not spending even more money and to get the tank up and running for our needed CUC, I decided to stick with the stock sponge filter and just plan on changing it later. I think since it will be fishless, the stock should be more than enough for now. I would also like to had a little wavemaker once we start adding the corals.
Today, I did a leak test before we got started.

8C139ECA-FC97-4EFC-AA40-C0B982714575.jpeg

Everything looked ok, so I emptied it and started playing with the small aquascape. I bought dry live caribsea rock from our Local pet store. The nearest reef store is about an hour away . It’s not exactly what I had in mind but it will do until I can get somewhere with more of selection.

D7026A10-AC7B-472B-92CF-2D8221A93E7F.jpeg

Added live sand- caribsea bahamas oolite. The amount was more than what I expected but I decided to go with and I can vacuum some out later if I don’t like it. One of my favorite snails is the Nassarius Snail. Is that weird? Hahaha. I wanted them to have a nice sand bed to roam through.

Added the water, and now just waiting for the water to clear up.
CA813CCE-C590-4B2C-A850-947F95E97768.jpeg

That’s all for tonight. Hope to connect with others and their nano builds along the way!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I used my old BioCube32, which was my first DT, as a QT for a while. I'm actually considering another nano as a QT and observation tank since my 60 cube leaked. Anyway, just wanted to say good job and it looks good.

Keep up the water changes on the BC32 and it should be fine. Maybe run some chemipure or similar product in the back. Make sure to test though, as bottoming out nutrients can be just as bad as having too many. Ask me how I know ;). Phosphate can get bound in rock so it can take some time, just need to be patient. If you can afford a Hanna ULR Phosphorous reader I'd recommend investing in one.

For CUC in the BC32, try adding 1 mexican turbo snail. They're voracious algae eaters. You don't want to overdo the CUC because once the nutrients are under control they'll die and possible cause nutrient issues again.

Congrats on taking the plunge, it's a highly addictive, sometimes frustrating, but immanently satisfying hobby!

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Welcome back to the hobby.

***Do not put the heater in the return chamber*** the water evaporates from there and this could expose the heater causing it to crack. Put that in the first or second chamber.

I have set up a small nano again recently and use chamber 1 for a refugium, 2 for heater and some bio balls, 3 for return.

No skimmer and mechanical. Since your planning on a fish less tank this may work well for you to. Just food for thought, .

20220106_213433.jpg 20220105_133417.jpg

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new setup. The EVO is a fun little tank (I have the same one). I’m impressed with what can be accomplished in such a small volume of water. The invert/coral idea is a neat one. I fully intend for mine to end up as a QT for my eventual larger setup… just have to get the fiancée on board.

Good luck and I look forward to following along.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I used my old BioCube32, which was my first DT, as a QT for a while. I'm actually considering another nano as a QT and observation tank since my 60 cube leaked. Anyway, just wanted to say good job and it looks good.

Keep up the water changes on the BC32 and it should be fine. Maybe run some chemipure or similar product in the back. Make sure to test though, as bottoming out nutrients can be just as bad as having too many. Ask me how I know ;). Phosphate can get bound in rock so it can take some time, just need to be patient. If you can afford a Hanna ULR Phosphorous reader I'd recommend investing in one.

For CUC in the BC32, try adding 1 mexican turbo snail. They're voracious algae eaters. You don't want to overdo the CUC because once the nutrients are under control they'll die and possible cause nutrient issues again.

Congrats on taking the plunge, it's a highly addictive, sometimes frustrating, but immanently satisfying hobby!
Hey! Thanks for taking the time to respond!! Currently in the biocube media rack we are running intank filter on top, chemipure elite and marine pure media balls. I then have purigen sitting between chamber 2 and the return pump camber. I suspect the reason I continue to have issues is overfeeding . Trying to dial that back. I definitely plan on adding a turbo to the CUC!
you are right about this being addictive! This whole journey started off with my son wanting a fish and now I have gone off the saltwater tank deep end. It’s been nice to have a new outlet to focus some of energy.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. Welcome back to the hobby.

***Do not put the heater in the return chamber*** the water evaporates from there and this could expose the heater causing it to crack. Put that in the first or second chamber.

I have set up a small nano again recently and use chamber 1 for a refugium, 2 for heater and some bio balls, 3 for return.

No skimmer and mechanical. Since your planning on a fish less tank this may work well for you to. Just food for thought, .

20220106_213433.jpg 20220105_133417.jpg
Thanks for the reminder about the heater being in the return! That’s why we didn’t end up putting it there in our biocube. I’ll have to rethink that. I love the idea of your setup..However, to be honest I feel a little intimidated by the idea of refugiums. Would love to know a little bit more about yours.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new setup. The EVO is a fun little tank (I have the same one). I’m impressed with what can be accomplished in such a small volume of water. The invert/coral idea is a neat one. I fully intend for mine to end up as a QT for my eventual larger setup… just have to get the fiancée on board.

Good luck and I look forward to following along.
Thanks!!! Tanks are a little addictive. And I love the nano size ones. My husband was teasing me last night about which room of the house I planned on adding the next one.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
511417BA-159F-4EE7-B7EE-57851547437D.jpeg

Tank cleared up nicely overnight . We might be able to get to the saltwater store today or tomorrow. Would the live sand be enough to support inverts without creating an ammonia problem? Or would I need add some media or water from our biocube to help? I plan on feeding them algae pellets until a better food source develops.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to add livestock right away you would need to add bottled bac of some sort. Bio-Spira, Fritz Zyme9, or Dr. Tim's One and Only. Adding some rock/media from your current setup would seed as well. I would not count on the live sand alone.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made it to the saltwater store today. Picked up some Nassarius snails, blue leg hermits, and turbos. Floated the bags when I got home. While I waited I added some bactive8, and media from my biocube to help with the bacteria. I also grabbed a couple small rock pieces and frags from the biocube and put them in there as well.
6C05A525-B348-4A85-806B-0C36DCD5B2F0.jpeg
Once they were temp acclimated, in they went!
18215FAD-FB56-4087-87C5-D35585DA120C.jpeg

They also gave us some extra shells so I sprinkled those throughout the tank.
I then fed them some algae wafers for the hermits and turbos and a little frozen fish food for the Nassarius. The little hermits gathered in clusters to feed on the wafers
00D2C989-3CED-485A-B40D-A4DE0A765E3B.jpeg

I went ahead and added a seachem ammonia alert, to help keep an eye on that.
I think I’m mostly worried about the turbos.. they didn’t seem too interested in the wafers. So anyone have any input on whether or not it’s a bad idea for me to run the whites until some algae starts to grow in the tank?

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with ammonia and new tank cycling issues. I think I’ve finally got it under control. I’ve also discovered it’s much easier to just give each turbo snail a small piece of nori individually twice a day rather than rubber banding it to the rocks. They respond immediately and grab the nori from the tweezers hahaha Here’s a picture of feeding time :)
C4634BAF-DEB5-4A35-837F-3C28BA8EA9D8.jpeg

I also started getting some algae on the sand!! I think some call it the early tank uglies.. I’m super excited because it means things are progressing.
1D41B935-EC70-4C35-946E-57BA9EF4B26A.jpeg

might be adding some pulsing Xenia soon to see how it goes.
I’ve also been considering getting a Pom Pom crab for this tank.. on paper they sound hilarious and I would love to see a little crab waving tiny anemones around. Lol. If anyone has their own, I’d love to hear their experiences with them.
I’m also still going back and forth and then back and forth some more on what wavemaker to add. I think I like the wider flow of the Nero 3 but now sure if I want to drop that kind of cash or try to go with the jebao SLW that is a little less than half the cost. ;Greedy However the review on the jebao aren’t super positive.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a slw -10 and a slw-20 on a tank and the 20 stopped working after 4 months but the 10 has been working for over a year. My blenny made a home in the broken 20 so I never removed it.
The slw-10 provides good flow in a nano.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I may just pull the trigger. ;Happy

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the progress!

I love the Nero in my 13.5 EVO. And it’ll be useful if/when I upgrade. That said, the Slw-10 and 20 are solid wavemakers and if you have no intentions on moving to a larger tank or growing anything that demands higher flow, they should do the trick.

dsayo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Excited to follow along and see your progress. Love my fluval evo.
Pom Pom crabs are so entertaining, but does requires some manual feeding. Not difficult or anything in my experience, but they do hide most of the time until they know there’s food (should be easy to spot in a fluval though).
I had the stock light for a few months running the whites for a full work day, so I think you’ll be fine.
Get the jebow and spend your money on upgrading the light instead to an AI Prime HD 16, will be the best investment for your tank in my opinion. :)
Good luck!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the various feedback I got from you guys. I decided to stop going back and forth and take the plunge of the jebao SLW 10. It was delivered today and I was so excited to get it out and setup.
9BAD9658-4946-4325-92E8-64EF91E1B4B8.jpeg
1F22A8E2-31B7-4AAD-85EB-E326733D1377.jpeg
Everything appears to be there. The instruction are extremely minimal. Does anyone know what the extra rubber piece with the whole in it is for?
I just picked a spot to try and it’s currently up and running. Dead silent! So that’s super nice. I had read some reviews about them being really noisy. Not the case for this one.
86A299DA-CFC5-48E0-8506-2B18BB5C17DF.jpeg

it’s hard to tell the wave patterns etc. because I don’t have any corals in there to respond to the flow. Right now I just have it on wave function set full speed trying to get the turbo poop off the sand bed. I’ll play with it more once I start adding corals. ;Happy Thanks!

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see what's to come! Looking good so far and giving me some ideas for my future tank ;Joyful
THANKS! So far I really LOVE the Jebao wavemaker. I did end up moving it to different wall and have it pointed the long way directly at the returns. Seems to be creating a good amount of water movement and my sand bed that was constantly covered in turbo snail poop, stays almost spotless now :) Cant wait till I get my hands on some coral to start adding :). We are two weeks into this round of inverts QT. Despite being too many for this tank, I have manage to keep everything alive providing regular feedings (to supplement the lack of food available), with the exception of one Nassarious snail.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I attempted to manually remove some of my GSP from continuing to overtake the peak of my DTs aquascape. I would consider the attempt a failure. But I was able to get a really big chunk of GSP off and ripped it into two pieces. Glued it to a couple old frag plugs then added them to my evo and Voila my first coral added add to my Little tank! We will see how it does. The Nitrites are still really high in the Evo. Hopefully getting my
Hands on some pulsing Xenia in the near future.
92E22CEE-E7C4-4E23-9ABD-62E9347B5C3C.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back