13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some history behind why I got back into the hobby - my marine biologist friend took many of my corals when I had to take my older tank down about 3-4 years ago. He contacted me a few weeks before I started the fluval saying his tank is not doing well. I got this fluval up ASAP and took in the survivors once the tank was cycled!

So far all of the corals have recovered and gotten back most of the color as you can tell from the other photos! Scoly went back to green

513217FA-BF33-4741-AF6C-7C8FF140EB63.jpeg
E1EF6080-8158-46E2-BF7D-61CD553A938F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing some solid come back growth from the rescue corals and params being in check for a bit - I could not resist and had to actually get some “healthy” corals! We have an amazing dealer by us called “frost corals” and I’m lucky to be so close! At this point I added:
- acan ecinata
- octospawn
- fascination favia
- riccordia
- couple zoanthid frags

It always feels so good / rewarding to get the first bit of beautiful life in the tank!!

B9CEEB64-9229-425F-A7FB-0839D2099757.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an interesting story that happened around this time as I go through my old photos. Want to give a big shout out to emerald crabs for eradicating types of green algae. Two of these red mithrax crabs ate so much dying byropsis it was insane! Unfortunately though this one started becoming extremely aggressive.. I mean literally trying to seek out my hand and attack it when I put it in the tank - even though I spot fed daily..

Low and behold after a bit I realize he is a she and she has a brood of eggs! I was super intrigued and hoping she would actually release the fry one day - even if none made it to become jevuniles - hey free fish food. The emerald crab gained a voracious appetite while brooding which I thought was funny being comparable to a woman’s pregnancy. One of the two or both starting nipping corals though and I had to rehome them which still to this day makes me sad. Funny how much enjoyment 5$ crab can give one! Made me realize how much I love littler inverts..

I have a video of this one spawning! When I get some time I’ll add the video next.

9713F1CB-2426-4CC2-AE82-1014C3612644.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local coral wholesaler I mentioned - Frost Corals - had a big tank crash and literally just asked past customers to come in and grab / save a Scoly! I just got FREE Scoly!! What a nice person.. really hoping I can save this one. I’ve had it for a week and the shrimp were really picking at it. I created an isolation box for the coral in hopes to save it. You probably won’t see much full tank updates after this next one. I don’t like the look of the plastic tub hanging on the top worth it to save this though

E3959B37-CC2C-41F3-B2E0-1BD30F723FA4.jpeg
887E101A-C542-4042-A123-6B01D2FA6FD0.jpeg

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - thank you! I take it as shrimp just doing their thing because the Scoly was half dead when I got it. Hopefully this has it bounce back. By far the nicest coral I have now.

Just from experience shrimps will go for dead flesh, might have just been doing it's job, fingers crossed for the scoly. :)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to share this video from last month of the tank as it steps into a new big chapter! I really need to find a way to make HD videos on YouTube..

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am looking at the hygger wave maker for my evo. Did you get the 1600gph version? How do you like it?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EPIC tank man! Following!
Thank you so much!! Glad to have you join the thread :)

Saucey if you don’t mind me asking which version do you have?
Just double checked and I have the Hygger Mini Wave Maker Magnetic Dc Powerhead with the Led Display. Here is also a photo for reference. It is extremely small and perfect for 5-10 gallon tanks! If you are not upgrading the return pump for the evo though I think it is just ever so slightly weak for it or 15-20 gallon tanks. That is my only criticism. 9/10 pump so far though. Two of them in a 15-20 gallon would be perfect.

Attachments

• hgf.jpg
    hgf.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 59

tanstrobels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Hygger mini. I have a 15 gallon aio reef tank and don’t have any dead spots. If you don’t care about controlling the pump with an app on your phone this is a great wave maker for the price.
The only shortcoming is that the 5 intervals are already predefined with a start and end time and can’t be changed.
For me that doesn’t really matters because I have it set to be completely random all hours of the day and everyone in the tank seems to like it this way.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back