13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea probably just stressed out, and yea my cleaner does the same thing just goes around and rips everything out of the corals mouth and the whole reason I got it was to watch it clean the fish which I does try to, literally will chase them around haha and they want nothing to do with it

And I'm in NE Pa and we have no good fish shops close I hate it
WOW! That sounds just like my cleaner - RIP

I am lucky here in Akron we may not have a bunch of stores super close but in a 1 hour driving distance there is probably like 10+ reef stores! If you count petco a lot more.

Here is a video of the little RFA I have been raising. I am a proud father! :) I can not wait to see what it looks like as it gets larger, but assuming at this point it could just be all red.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us and show us your filtration setup in the back?
Yes! So I virtually have 0 mechanical filtration. Just a little bit of live rock and macro algae in the middle and 3rd chamber (kalerpa and a small amount of cheato). I normally have the tank on a reverse schedule with fuge lights on when main lights turn off, but I turned it on to show you what it looks like at night. This and weekly water changes keeps all my params in check and corals happy. It is a bit of a balance though with such a small tank keeping my nutrient level up, but not having it get to high.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! So I virtually have 0 mechanical filtration. Just a little bit of live rock and macro algae in the middle and 3rd chamber (kalerpa and a small amount of cheato). I normally have the tank on a reverse schedule with fuge lights on when main lights turn off, but I turned it on to show you what it looks like at night. This and weekly water changes keeps all my params in check and corals happy. It is a bit of a balance though with such a small tank keeping my nutrient level up, but not having it get to high.

Yea I just bought this tank literally today and trying to decide what I wanted to do with the back chambers. Think I'm going to get the 2 in tank media baskets and run filter floss/carbon and live rock in chamber 1, and then Macro Algae in chamber 2 as you are doing. Appreciate you showing me

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were speaking about one of your anemones moving. If you want to locate one in a specific place, here is something I have done for some of them. We have some softer rock here, but you could obviously use something other than rock. I drill a hole in it and the anemone settles in and stays put wherever I move the rock.

1628536036431.png

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just bought this tank literally today and trying to decide what I wanted to do with the back chambers. Think I'm going to get the 2 in tank media baskets and run filter floss/carbon and live rock in chamber 1, and then Macro Algae in chamber 2 as you are doing. Appreciate you showing me
Of course! That sounds like a good plan. Just a heads up you do not have to run carbon 24/7.

You were speaking about one of your anemones moving. If you want to locate one in a specific place, here is something I have done for some of them. We have some softer rock here, but you could obviously use something other than rock. I drill a hole in it and the anemone settles in and stays put wherever I move the rock.

1628536036431.png
That is a really cool idea! This anemone is crazy though it moves where/when it wants to. It is a Houdini :p

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an amazing tank! Thank you for sharing. I’m looking at another nano and your setup is very interesting. Those corals and RFAs Great work!
Thank you so much!! It makes me super happy if my tank can give any inspiration or enjoyment, and also happy to give any knowledge and help to another hobbyist if I can. I really love nanos! What tank were you thinking of starting?

I think I may be setting up another tank soon. I am unsure if I should do the Waterbox 15.2, or the JBJ 28. I have both tanks already. Regardless get ready for an update on the Fluval 13.5 soon. Everything is finally fully settled from the move and the small changes I did.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and thought everyone would enjoy this: a time-lapse of the mushroom garden and newest addition : I GOT ANOTHER PETERSON SHRIMP! This one has already made it a couple weeks and seems in great health/activity

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back