13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t resist taking photos of the bleeding apple Scoly every chance I can haha. The teal discoloration spot just keeps growing! Of course the neon goby has to photo bomb every shot

just found out somone sells Scoly pillows! Buying two
4CC3E17B-8A7D-4839-BFC5-FE853AA9525D.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some sexy shrimp yesterday and my possum wrasse started hunting and tearing them apart! It literally was carrying one around in its mouth. I chased it away, fed the tank a lot which seemed to appease the beast at the moment, and somehow all 4 were still alive. I woke up the next morning and I believe they are all 4 in the back chambers, or maybe one or two dead. I know I have seen 1-2 back there. I will leave them back there for now and give them a month or two before I try reintroduction. Crazy seeing multiple sexys have been in the tank for years!

I guess my Possum Wrasse is just getting to be about that full grown size where a small Sexy Shrimp floating around looks like a nice meal. I need to be more careful next time.. Hopefully they are all alive in the back chambers. I sometimes forget this thing is a little pirhana.

345.jpg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a frag of some Frankie’s Acid Trips and Deathstars from a local reefer near me! I’ll be happy if they look even half this good from the photos online.
68A0B6ED-8059-495A-90CC-4D472AC855AA.jpeg
2C8473D8-A3FD-4F17-BC2C-72B1BE7027FB.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some sexy shrimp yesterday and my possum wrasse started hunting and tearing them apart! It literally was carrying one around in its mouth. I chased it away, fed the tank a lot which seemed to appease the beast at the moment, and somehow all 4 were still alive. I woke up the next morning and I believe they are all 4 in the back chambers, or maybe one or two dead. I know I have seen 1-2 back there. I will leave them back there for now and give them a month or two before I try reintroduction. Crazy seeing multiple sexys have been in the tank for years!

I guess my Possum Wrasse is just getting to be about that full grown size where a small Sexy Shrimp floating around looks like a nice meal. I need to be more careful next time.. Hopefully they are all alive in the back chambers. I sometimes forget this thing is a little pirhana.

345.jpg
Possum wrasse are voracious micro-predators. Anything that looks like an amphipod is their favorite snack as adults. Rough way to find out I'm sorry bud

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zoas look great!
TYVM! Been chasing an affordable death star for like 2 years now.

Possum wrasse are voracious micro-predators. Anything that looks like an amphipod is their favorite snack as adults. Rough way to find out I'm sorry bud
Yes! It is super cool until it does not work in your favor! I had heard of others with Possums + Sexys so I gave it a try - They were fine together for near two years. I think when I introduced the last batch, everything went wrong. They were very tiny, let them out at the top and they floated down, I hadn't fed the tank before this, and I had cut back Rods Food a month before just feeding mysis.

A predator saw his chance :face-in-clouds: He even killed one of the 1.5 year old Sexys right after murking all the 4 new ones. Now the lone Sexy Shrimp survives in the DT, somehow! Oh one of the smaller ones made it in the back-chamber somehow also.. So after buying 4 new ones, back to 2 lol..

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the corals were looking super colorful tonight! Not sure if it was the water change, the extra work I’ve been putting in the tank, or something else. I wish I had a camera that could capture the maxi minis colors. It’s looking wildly rainbow!
95D961EF-84B0-4E91-927F-C1A6AA372073.jpeg
A7D675A5-F1F5-434B-8757-5B613F1A7E01.jpeg
54201E86-F3FB-4E57-82AD-4FABFE312B16.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9B683845-1557-4C75-8E35-74202DCA0E4E.jpeg
11404D56-204C-4656-9BD5-9FC46C4B1E0E.jpeg
D1B34EDA-4A64-473E-A76E-F1DEC40E7788.jpeg

As I am getting my nutrients stabilized, the cyano is almost entirely disappeared, but now bubble algae is starting to appear in some spots. Very interesting how algae’s and other micro organisms bloom and die off depending on certain param levels.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I made it to my first Frag Swap! LEAR in Ohio. It was honestly way cooler than I thought it would be. I had a lot of fun. I went in hopes to get a GMK. Got some death stars and Frankie’s Acid Trips a couple weeks before that were doing well, so thought it would be a good time.

Amazingly since being in the bag acclimating it has remained fully open! As of yesterday it had 2-3 babies coming off! Woke up this morning and my Euphyllia Frogspawn fell right on top of it! Of course my luck.. Hopefully it wasn’t to long. Nothing seems melted.

E49B7086-184E-4AD2-982D-C29C4212B5F2.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a big move yesterday. I traded the Possum Wrasse for a Hellfrichi Firefish! I want to make a shout out for Possum Wrasse - it was potentially the coolest fish I have ever had in my 15 years of reefing. The only reason I finalized this trade was because it was eating my sexy shrimp, it needed a bigger tank, and someone in the area wanted to do the trade!

I was extremely anxious about doing this, and virtually couldn't sleep the night before I had to catch the wrasse. I bought a breeder box, and had been scoping where it slept each night. Of course while trying to grab the fish while sleeping, it went all wrong! It shot out of my hands, but than kind of fell back asleep while mid-swim after a couple seconds lol. I just scooped it out of the water with my hands and placed it in the breeder box (still cant believe it). After that everything went fine! The hellfrichi found a nice spot in my tank, and seems good already. Maybe in the next month I will actually see it and get a photo!

Again - shout out to the Possum Wrasse for being an AWESOME fish for 2 years. I really never got any good photos of the fish due to its dark color and being very shy of the phone, but here are some cool possum wrasse photos I found online.

possum wrasse2.jpg

Photo by Lizantude

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a full tank shot yesterday as the tank was looking good! Finally getting all the algae under control and my nutrients stabilized. I think the aiptasia will be a never ending battle. I gave my frag rack to a local reefer to be cleaned by their Berghia Nudibranchs. We traded a couple zoas, and I got these two kinds. I was supposed to get BamBams, but I think they are Orange Oxides and Circus zoas. They have been starting to form these cool blue lines and dots! Not sure if its damage from all the dipping I did, but I like it.
FTS2.jpg
zoa1.jpg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I believe the Masked Gobies are spawning! The smaller of the two is constantly digging and cleaning around this spot in my one rock cave and sandbed around it. I’ve never seen it pickup sand with its mouth before. Now it does it all day.
2B537ACD-40BF-44C4-AFE8-72F484106B31.jpeg
445389AE-35C3-43B4-BBAD-AC2DECE9B60C.jpeg
3A519625-6049-45D7-9846-5711F16CF287.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back