13.5 Gallon Build Thread.

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this puppy in yesterday. New to the salt water world (but not freshwater). This is my small starter tank. It’s a Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon and I’m already impressed by its practicality. In the back, instead of a skimmer I have rock rubble, because from what I’ve heard, I’m not going to have a big waste load. It will be just a FOWLR tank (maybe) lol. I might change my mind down the road. I will be adding a wave maker in the coming days, just not at the moment. Within the next couple of weeks there will be more pics to come, but for right now it’s cycling.
the way I’m cycling, I am phantom feeding whilst adding seachems stabilty. Is there a better way to do it?

E6F83158-F2DD-4349-803B-E8D4AAD2430D.jpeg 55E9FBD3-7AD0-421B-8A4A-E97ABFEF386C.jpeg

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this puppy in yesterday. New to the salt water world (but not freshwater). This is my small starter tank. It’s a Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon and I’m already impressed by its practicality. In the back, instead of a skimmer I have rock rubble, because from what I’ve heard, I’m not going to have a big waste load. It will be just a FOWLR tank (maybe) lol. I might change my mind down the road. I will be adding a wave maker in the coming days, just not at the moment. Within the next couple of weeks there will be more pics to come, but for right now it’s cycling.
the way I’m cycling, I am phantom feeding whilst adding seachems stabilty. Is there a better way to do it?

E6F83158-F2DD-4349-803B-E8D4AAD2430D.jpeg 55E9FBD3-7AD0-421B-8A4A-E97ABFEF386C.jpeg
Liquid ammonia and stability. I say this truthfully keep me updated

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More.light and flow. U can feed like ur doing. Maybe a little more 1 night to really kick it. U can do a small wc to slow or soften the cycle on the tank if need be. Ur tanks only 13.5 gals.
5 gals would be good.
D

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep you have to make sure there is nothing added to the ammonia. Are you gonna add any more rock or just the one island look for now?

OP
OP
G

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a build update: 5-13-2021

Ammonia spike and cycling happened fastest I’ve seen any of my tanks do. I dropped in cut up fresh shrimp, did parameter tests and all comes out good. So last night, I reintroduced my clown and got a neon blue Damsel and 3 hermits as well. They seem very happy this morning when the lights clicked on. I also added two more rocks because I’ve come to the decision of having a reef. (Exciting I know). I have brine shrimp that I’ve fed them and they seem to like it a lot, but what do you guys suggest on fresh food?
I’ve also found that the top right of the tank is now the clowns preferred spot.
Also, what do y’all think about stocking? Could I put a couple more smaller fish in?

74B620EF-AC98-4BA5-88E6-92EE48597576.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon blues are supposed to be really aggressive. Kinda looks like an azure at this angle though (which is peaceful for a damsel).
Good options are a royal gramma, gobies, cardinal fish, and tailspot blennies, to name a few.
Shrimp goby pair would be cool.
Frozen Brine shrimp isn’t the most nutritious, kinda like fish potato chips. Mysis is a better option in that respect.

OP
OP
G

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be an azure, and I might have read the wrong tag at my lfs. (Glad I did now) he’s not being aggressive to my clown or my hermits which is great. And the mysis shrimp is what I was planning on getting as well. How many more fish do you recommend I put in it? I don’t want to over stock it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 fish is the standard. Gobies are low waste.
I’m going to have 4 total fish in mine. A lot depends on your maintenance. I do 30% wc a week.
I would make your next fish sand or rock dwellers so that they stay out of the way of the clown and damsel.

OP
OP
G

grantfoster02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 fish is the standard. Gobies are low waste.
I’m going to have 4 total fish in mine. A lot depends on your maintenance. I do 30% wc a week.
I would make your next fish sand or rock dwellers so that they stay out of the way of the clown and damsel.
Okay. Good to know. I’m definitely leaning towards gobys.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back