OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 0 nitrate and phosphate I started to increase my feeding. I am going to turn off the skimmer a day or two. I will retest the next couple of days. If it fails to rise after a week or so I will look into adding some potassium nitrate. I would rather not add to the tank.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 0 nitrate and phosphate I started to increase my feeding. I am going to turn off the skimmer a day or two. I will retest the next couple of days. If it fails to rise after a week or so I will look into adding some potassium nitrate. I would rather not add to the tank.
After a day with the skimmer off and several days of extra feeding my No3 is still 0. Algae is still in check and added a few more snails to reduce some of the extra hair algae. I turned my skimmer back on and going to conitune to ride the tank growth out. The tank is still young. Everything looks great except the toadstool which has been closed for a week and my red Zoas. I did remove two Asterina stars from the Red Zoas. I have had to remove two others a time back and then all the Zoas popped. These were Asterina Stars that had black marks on their back. I think they were eating the coral.

Last edited:

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip your corals before adding to the tank? I see you have QT tanks for your fish, but did you QT your corals too?

I'm hoping to get my 100.3 WB in the next two weeks to start my build too! :)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to have to start to dose nitrates to get any.....

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dip your corals before adding to the tank? I see you have QT tanks for your fish, but did you QT your corals too?

I'm hoping to get my 100.3 WB in the next two weeks to start my build too! :)
I dip all corals prior to DT. The corals I added that had the Stars were QT'd, but I missed one Star. Since then I only QT fish and just dip then add corals. I pulled out the red Zoas and dipped then were I found an Asterina star on it in the Revive water. I dipped a second set of Zoas and the last set were already growing on the rock. All said and done I got two stars out of the tank. It is just a thing I will have to watch. The red Zoas are starting to look better after the removal of the Asterina 'Zoa Munching' Stars even though they did some damage.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to have to start to dose nitrates to get any.....
I think I am going to try to ride it out. I am also going to try to increase my Bio load with another fish or two in the coming weeks. All I want to do is watch the frags for any signs of stress before I do any additives. Right now they are looking good. I plan on some pictures soon.

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am in the anti-Asterina camp. Also, from my personal experience, I've found that Zoa's and Hermits do not mix. The hermits love to constantly crawl over the zoas and that irritates them keeping them closed. And, if they don't get enough to eat they will start nipping at the Zoas and/or eating each other. Too much bother for me - my new tank will be a Hermit free zone.

Yes, can't wait to get my new WB! Very excited to get started.

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recieved corals in the mail for the first time the other day. I visited the Reef Rack of Kansas City. Picked out a few pieces and could not transport them home. I had them mail.

I have to say the I was impressed with the Reef Rack. I will be going back again. Mike and Erin were very helpful with customer service tailored to my needs and reefer level. I would recommend them to anyone for their selection and service.

https://thereefrack.com

20180808_102339.jpg

20180808_102343.jpg

20180808_103237.jpg

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt like I need or wanted more light. I had on my QT tank for corals a Kessil A80. I moved it to the DT. It is adding a little more light on my bigger rock formation. I like my Current USA IC Pros on the tank. I always viewed them as my beginner lights. All my corals are doing well under the Current lights. I plan on maybe getting a Kessil a160 for the other side. I have always planned on getting a Cube aquarium or two and would transfer these lights to them.

20180813_131508.jpg

20180813_131435.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest water test.
Temp: 78 - 79
Salinity: 34 1.025
PH: 8.2 red sea test
Alk: 8.7 red sea test
CA: 440 red sea test
MG: 1600 red sea test
Nitrates: 0 red sea test
Phosphates: 0.00 hanna checker UL

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures! Are you using a filter or color correcting? That is an adorable Duncan, but I may be biased as I am partial to them. ;Snaphappy
Thanks. No filters or color correction. I just take the pictures with the lights at 100% blue and 50% white. Set the whites for what is visually pleasing without too much power.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. No filters or color correction. I just take the pictures with the lights at 100% blue and 50% white. Set the whites for what is visually pleasing without too much power.

Looks really good to me!

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am losing my Leptoseris. It was doing great until after I found it on the sand bed. It fell face down in sand with brown algae on it. I placed it back onto was it was and since then it hasn't done the best. Now I am waiting to see if it can recover.

IMG_0069.JPG

OP
OP
crazysun

crazysun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Yellow Clown Goby to the family. Small guy and very timid. Hopefully he doesn't get spooked by the other bigger fish. They can be temperamental in their eating.

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back