14 Foot Reef Build Thread - 850 Gallon System - Build Thread

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Separate Tanks, Species driven, Non Reef safe fish on one end. 38 year old Haddoni Carpet anemone that is 24"+ around on the other end with butterflies and yellow masked angel
This is literally my dream tank, oh my god. This is such a cool concept, I really really love it. Is maintenance a lot of work? How many hours a week would you say you realistically spend maintaining it?

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is literally my dream tank, oh my god. This is such a cool concept, I really really love it. Is maintenance a lot of work? How many hours a week would you say you realistically spend maintaining it?
its completely automated and has been set up for 24+ years. The only maintenance is cleaning the 34 feet of glass....LOL I started moonshiners about 6 months ago, so zero water changes. I spend 30 minutes on a Thursday night cleaning glass and 1 minute dosing @reefmoonshiners every night.

Total system volume is 850 gallons. controlled by apex with trident controlled dosing of Calcium, Alk, Mag, Sodium Hydroxide, and Kalk through an Avast Marine K2.

I built this tank in place myself. ;)

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cap.jpg

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its completely automated and has been set up for 24+ years. The only maintenance is cleaning the 34 feet of glass....LOL I started moonshiners about 6 months ago, so zero water changes. I spend 30 minutes on a Thursday night cleaning glass and 1 minute dosing @reefmoonshiners every night.

Total system volume is 850 gallons. controlled by apex with trident controlled dosing of Calcium, Alk, Mag, Sodium Hydroxide, and Kalk through an Avast Marine K2.

I built this tank in place myself. ;)
Outrageously impressive. This really seems like the gold standard for tanks. Definitely something to aspire to

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's technically in the middle of my living room, 360 walk around island tank with all filtration in the Garage ;)
lol its very nice... i however could not imagine how i would ever do maintance on it.
I assume you would need to bring out the full scuba gear like how i remember Tom Barr would do when he worked on his planted tanks.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I've bought some softies from you years ago! Did you used to have MH over that whole tank and a massive garage refugium?

Never mind different person see photo now haha. But I am right down the road. Great tank!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cleanup .. Nice DIY skimmer reminds me of the old MTC power pro skimmers .
It's 8' Tall with Dual Mazzi Venturi injectors run by the top of the line MRC 6100 pump..
If anyone needs the best AC pump ever, look into Raj's pumps at MRC. I Run 3 of them on my system. silent powerful and never leak like their competitions pumps. (Well, they really don't have any when it comes to quality.) ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Leak Detectors, 6 overflow switches installed for redundancy over the 3 separate tanks along with another EB832 for all wave pumps.
Rewire FLoat Switches.jpg

The wire chases were the smartest things I designed on this reef stand.

Laser .jpg

I love using the Laser level to line up the modules

Wire Chases .jpg

All back together, time for programming all the new modules and switches.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back