15 Days Of Copper Still Visible Ich?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently 15 days in of 30 days of copper and I'm still seeing ich on my fish. Some of you may remember I had a issue with copper powers dosing. My Hanna kit was reading about 2.0ppm per copper powers instructions. I was not getting 2.5ppm. I bought a salifurt kit and it reads between 1-2ppm on the color chart. (The salifurt kit is not helpful) Nevertheless, my levels have read between 2.2-2.5 ppm over the past 15 days as I have had the wrong dosing amounts. My copper power is brand new so this has to be a manufacturing error.

What would you suggest I do from here, start over the 30 days and keep levels at 2.5 or continue with the remaining 15 days? Some fish still show visible signs of ich on their body or their breathing is still very heavy.

Thank you.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for flukes?

Can you post pics.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for flukes?

Can you post pics.

I have, and also treated with prazi. It definitely looks like ich here:

20200208_131923.jpg 20200208_131932.jpg

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish or just one or two? Sounds like lympho

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish or just one or two? Sounds like lympho

At the moment just a cbb is showing bumps on its skins and heavy breathing. The breathing is the same as when it was in the DT before treatment. Lympho should only show under stress or poor water quality I believe, both which didn't exist in the DT. All fish were scratching gills or displaying visible white spot while in the DT.

I lost 2 Bartlet anthias in qt, both never showed visible white spot but would scratch and had heavy breathing.

@Humblefish
#reefsqaud

mmcjcc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, and also treated with prazi. It definitely looks like ich here:

20200208_131923.jpg 20200208_131932.jpg
I've tried literally everything in terms of QT protocols over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that Copper Power is the best way to go. You could probably get away with an even higher level than what you are reporting, as most fish seem quite tolerant of it. If I were you, I'd pull the fish out of the qt temporarily, drain, and start with a fresh Copper Power treatment for at least 4 to 6 weeks. Before adding the fish back, you could try a dip in formalin or fresh water as well. This can give the fish some short term relief.

I've also had some success with Chloroquine Phosphate; however, I really don't like it unless it is a last resort. Since you can't test for the concentration, it is too easy to OD and kill everything, which I'm sorry to report happened to me as well.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried literally everything in terms of QT protocols over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that Copper Power is the best way to go. You could probably get away with an even higher level than what you are reporting, as most fish seem quite tolerant of it. If I were you, I'd pull the fish out of the qt temporarily, drain, and start with a fresh Copper Power treatment for at least 4 to 6 weeks. Before adding the fish back, you could try a dip in formalin or fresh water as well. This can give the fish some short term relief.

I've also had some success with Chloroquine Phosphate; however, I really don't like it unless it is a last resort. Since you can't test for the concentration, it is too easy to OD and kill everything, which I'm sorry to report happened to me as well.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll restart over, still have 52 days if DT to be fishless.

By chance do you know if a fish with ich can still show signs at day 15 of copper?
Some folks I believe @Big G have mentioned 2.0ppm is usually enough for ich. I'm at a lost.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found out what was going on with my qt. So I used Dr. Tim's First Defense in the qt tanks to help with the move and stress. Their website States it should be "used during disease treatments". Well it also detoxifies heavy metals. So shame on them for stating to be "used during disease treatments" and not specifiing the effect it will have to copper. And shame on me for not putting two and two together when reading about the product. I emailed Dr. Tim's and they confirmed this product will reduce the efficiency of copper. I will have to remove the water and start over again.

mmcjcc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found out what was going on with my qt. So I used Dr. Tim's First Defense in the qt tanks to help with the move and stress. Their website States it should be "used during disease treatments". Well it also detoxifies heavy metals. So shame on them for stating to be "used during disease treatments" and not specifiing the effect it will have to copper. And shame on me for not putting two and two together when reading about the product. I emailed Dr. Tim's and they confirmed this product will reduce the efficiency of copper. I will have to remove the water and start over again.
Ahh, that could have done it for sure. To answer your question, after 15 days I would expect to see less Cryptocaryon, however, as you probably know, the copper only kills the free swimming stage of the parasite. So if the fish were hosting some crypto already, it takes some time for the white spots to develop. It's possible you are seeing the development of the spots from crypto that had already made it to the fish. However, with this new information, you should do a complete water change and clean the qt out as best as you can. Consider doing a formalin or fresh water dip before adding the fish back. If you then keep your Copper Power at the correct levels, I think you will get through this.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back