15 gallon AIO

Chris-Dott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently set up a tank in my office (15 gallon AIO cube).
Since this tank only came with a sock and not a media basket, I am wondering what I can use the back chambers for. Would a refuge in the center and maybe a protein skimmer in the last one with the pump? ( the pump is extra tiny so plenty of room. Advice is needed. So I have time to order what I need while cycles.

image.jpg image.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the same tank, or at least a similar one, and I was considering putting a little protein skimmer in it. I do like the refugium idea too though.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at that size a refugium might not have the space to grow enough macroalgae to be meaningful. I personally would either try to find appropriate sized baskets online to hold other denitrifying media, filter floss or the like OR i'd make my own baskets using light diffuser (egg crate) and tie wraps and fill it with whatever the situation calls for.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently set up a tank in my office (15 gallon AIO cube).
Since this tank only came with a sock and not a media basket, I am wondering what I can use the back chambers for. Would a refuge in the center and maybe a protein skimmer in the last one with the pump? ( the pump is extra tiny so plenty of room. Advice is needed. So I have time to order what I need while cycles.

image.jpg image.jpg
skimmers for tanks this side are often pretty useless.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out "Intank" aquatics. Their stacked media chambers do wonders. I'm running 15 gallon Waterbox AIO, so similar. I've got a media chamber in the first, with floss/media/carbon, second has heater and ATO, third I run a UV light.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what its worth, I have had a 15 WB peninsula on my office desk - it is 1+ years old and heavily loaded with nems and Soft/LPS -
have a sock, in the sock holder rock and large pore sponge in the center

with good flow and no skimmer I do see a slight film after days, and I change 1-2 gallons each Saturday by decanting the surface and film with a bud light pitcher.

Gets rid of the film and facilities an easy WC

only maintenance this tank gets other than glass cleaning

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back