15 Gallon Aquascape Help

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the 15 gallon column tanks (13.75" x 13.75" x 25") which looks cool, but is extremely impractical because of the weird dimensions.

As far as aquascape I want it to resemble a cliff, with a lot of rubble along the back wall (ideally going up 2/3s the height). It will run sump soon (after I build it) with a weir. The tank is going to be very minimal in terms of stock. I want it to be a green star polyp tank and it will have a goby/pistol shrimp, royal gramma or a helfrichi firefish.

The concern with aquascape would obviously be contact with the glass. Any suggestions on how to achieve the look I'd be going for and keep detritus from building up in the back areas? I was thinking maybe put a small power head behind the rocks before scaping, but I would rather be able to access the equipment.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the 15 gallon column tanks (13.75" x 13.75" x 25") which looks cool, but is extremely impractical because of the weird dimensions.

As far as aquascape I want it to resemble a cliff, with a lot of rubble along the back wall (ideally going up 2/3s the height). It will run sump soon (after I build it) with a weir. The tank is going to be very minimal in terms of stock. I want it to be a green star polyp tank and it will have a goby/pistol shrimp, royal gramma or a helfrichi firefish.

The concern with aquascape would obviously be contact with the glass. Any suggestions on how to achieve the look I'd be going for and keep detritus from building up in the back areas? I was thinking maybe put a small power head behind the rocks before scaping, but I would rather be able to access the equipment.

Just a thought.....What about using magnetic rocks to make your “height” with? Then you wouldn’t need flow behind them.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can visualize what you are planning. I've seen a few GSP tanks, and they really do look nice. Do you plan to have the GSP climb the cliff, or just as a carpet? Either way, I personally wouldn't put a power head behind the rocks. Sooner or later it will have to be removed. I kinda like the magnetic rock idea, just not sure if you would get the look you're going for.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can visualize what you are planning. I've seen a few GSP tanks, and they really do look nice. Do you plan to have the GSP climb the cliff, or just as a carpet? Either way, I personally wouldn't put a power head behind the rocks. Sooner or later it will have to be removed. I kinda like the magnetic rock idea, just not sure if you would get the look you're going for.

Either scenario would be cool, if it started as a carpet it would eventually take over the rock anyway. I would probably start it on the sand bed, but would ultimately come down to how I get the rock work to look.

TBH this is the first time i'm hearing about magnetic rock (head explosion emoji)

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like to get the rock work I want, I will ultimately have dead-spots and just have to deal with it. Hopefully the pistol shrimp can keep the sand moving enough to deal with detritus.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like to get the rock work I want, I will ultimately have dead-spots and just have to deal with it. Hopefully the pistol shrimp can keep the sand moving enough to deal with detritus.

Nah. With the right position you’ll get all the flow you need in that size tank.

I got my magnetic rocks from BRS. They may be too big your tank. You can also check out NanoRox. He makes a great product for nanos.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you're probably right. As the GSP covers the rocks, you're going to have dead spots no matter what you do. If you have a good sump (fuge?) that will help.

TBH this is the first time i'm hearing about magnetic rock (head explosion emoji)
:D

FishDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some shops drill and insert acrylic rods to get columns with floating pieces. Not sure if that’s an option.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're probably right. As the GSP covers the rocks, you're going to have dead spots no matter what you do. If you have a good sump (fuge?) that will help.

:D
I planned on building my own sump for this (so it can fit in the stand) and considered building a fuge chamber. I wanted to at least have a place to grow algae and harvest pods (potentially want a mandarin if things go well). Do I actually need to use Fuge Mud? I've never used one before so don't know too much about them. I just wanted to do sand and live rock. Tips on that would be helpful too.

Nah. With the right position you’ll get all the flow you need in that size tank.

I got my magnetic rocks from BRS. They may be too big your tank. You can also check out NanoRox. He makes a great product for nanos.

I'll take a look at NanoRox now, maybe they have something I can work with.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I actually need to use Fuge Mud? I've never used one before so don't know too much about them. I just wanted to do sand and live rock. Tips on that would be helpful too.

You can probably get a lot of opinions on the use of mud. I don't use it. I would just use LR rubble to house you're little critters and chaeto for you macro. There are LOTS of opinions about that too.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those NanoRox are awesome! I'll definitely be adding some. It'll help create some stable points that my LR can lean onto. Plus the hidden frag compartments is a great touch.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WV Reefer/Auquanut,

Any recommendations on what I should use in terms of a powerhead in this sort of tank? I'll have sump and and return to provide decent surface agitation. Need something that will be good to have at a 45° angle. Obviously don't want anything too bulky for a tank this small, so possibly 2 smaller heads?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WV Reefer/Auquanut,

Any recommendations on what I should use in terms of a powerhead in this sort of tank? I'll have sump and and return to provide decent surface agitation. Need something that will be good to have at a 45° angle. Obviously don't want anything too bulky for a tank this small, so possibly 2 smaller heads?

Any small powerhead like koralia or Jaebo would work. I’ve used both of those in a nano.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got this tank running, with a few changes and so far i'm extremely happy with it so far.

I haven't built the sump for it yet, so currently it is running an Aqueon Quiteflow 30, with about 10 marine plus ceramic balls in back, 3 mini bags of chemi-pure blue and filter floss. I was able to get my Koralia Nano working again, and added a Fluval CP2 for extra flow. The GSP frags I added came out immediately after acclimating them and I haven't once seen them not fully out.

Stock: 1 orange spot watchman/pistol shrimp pair
1: Royal Gramma
1: Misbar Maroon (Only temporary)
2: GSP frags

The tank is a little dirty in the picture, and not painting the back doesn't help, but after a lot of stacking I was able to get an aquascape I was happy with. A black background and adding some of the nanorox in the future will definitely help the look.

15G Column 9.4.19.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back