15 Gallon Mantis Shrimp Tank

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this spare 15 gallon tank for awhile and with all this free time I've decided that I might finally want to get a Mantis shrimp to put in it. So far, I think the best one for me would be the Smithii mantis shrimp because they don't get too big and I've heard they have a lot of personality but I don't really know anything about mantis shrimp
What kind of filtration should I get? Over hang or should I do a sump?
What kind of lighting?
Can/should I keep corals?
What kind of substrate?

Thank you for any help!

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also, would you veteran mantis shrimp owners recommend keeping a stash of live crabs/shrimp in a sump? if so, how exactly would you do that?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had this spare 15 gallon tank for awhile and with all this free time I've decided that I might finally want to get a Mantis shrimp to put in it. So far, I think the best one for me would be the Smithii mantis shrimp because they don't get too big and I've heard they have a lot of personality but I don't really know anything about mantis shrimp
What kind of filtration should I get? Over hang or should I do a sump?
What kind of lighting?
Can/should I keep corals?
What kind of substrate?

Thank you for any help!
Mantis needs basic lighting, rock structure with cave(s), fine sand for bedding and I would not advise anything in or with a shell, nor coral other than zoa.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis needs basic lighting, rock structure with cave(s), fine sand for bedding and I would not advise anything in or with a shell, nor coral other than zoa.
Thank you! Would you say that HOB filters would be sufficient or do they need a skimmer? I get the sense that mantis shrimp would be messy eaters and would need a skimmer.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that wennerae mantis shrimp are native to Florida? Do you think I mangrove would be compatible in a mantis shrimp tank or would you need to have too bright of a light?

Dixon25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that wennerae mantis shrimp are native to Florida? Do you think I mangrove would be compatible in a mantis shrimp tank or would you need to have too bright of a light?

Certainly. Mine has three.

Pablo2.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back