15 months of coral growth in 30 seconds. Reef Growth Timelapse

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I have a camera mounted to the side of my tank which takes a few images per day, and every now and again I create a timelapse and post it up to YouTube. The last one was 7 months, this one is 15.

Check it out! It's really cool to watch corals grow in sped up time.

Whiskey

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool to watch! AND, I can see the usefulness in having a video diary of the tanks progress. Certainly is useful when addressing issues...

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool to watch! AND, I can see the usefulness in having a video diary of the tanks progress. Certainly is useful when addressing issues...

Thank you! The GIF images I talk about are super useful for this. If I think a coral is getting lighter, or being killed, it's great to look at a comparison of the last week or month to find out if I'm crazy or not.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a camera! What camera do you have?
It's the Raspberry Pi camera. It's only about 5MP but that's far greater than I need for HD video. The caviat is that this camera has to run with a raspberry pi. If you use a PC then your solution will be different. This is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Arducam-Mega...a&qid=1558497077&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Nice! I've been wanting to do the same but I can't think of a camera placement that wouldn't look strange or be in the way.
Thank you!! I thought long and hard about this. As much as I would love one on the front of my tank, I just can't ruin the astetics of the system that way. The side is against the wall, and it's hardly visable.

Whiskey

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed watching this. I’ve wanted to do the same but like others haven’t decided how to achieve it the way I want. This motivates me to peruse the camera idea. Really cool stuff.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed watching this. I’ve wanted to do the same but like others haven’t decided how to achieve it the way I want. This motivates me to peruse the camera idea. Really cool stuff.

Thank you!! I have an old website that is still up and talks about the setup. You can see that here:
http://whiskey.xj42.com/Dead_Silent_mixed_reef/raspberry-pi-timelapse

If I ever get a new DLSR I'd love to mount that on the side, but for now, this works pretty well.

Whiskey

A-dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I’ll check out the website. Is the Rasberry setup you are using detailed on the site of how to actually put it together? I’d like to build one. I’m handy with building electrical but not much electronics experience. If I had instructions I know I could build it.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video!
What is that big branching green coral to the right of the video?

Thank you!!! Believe it or not that is a special form of Star Pylops. Instead of growing across the rocks it grows out in branches. I love having star pylops in my tank without them taking over.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I’ll check out the website. Is the Rasberry setup you are using detailed on the site of how to actually put it together? I’d like to build one. I’m handy with building electrical but not much electronics experience. If I had instructions I know I could build it.

It does have instructions on setting up the device to capture pictures and instructions on how to use Photoshop to make a GIF. It doesn't detail how to make a timelapse video though. I used these instructions to do that:
https://makeavideohub.com/time-lapse/virtualdub-timelapse-tutorial.html

Whiskey

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all!

I have a camera mounted to the side of my tank which takes a few images per day, and every now and again I create a timelapse and post it up to YouTube. The last one was 7 months, this one is 15.

Check it out! It's really cool to watch corals grow in sped up time.

Whiskey

First of all - is it in 30 seconds or 9 minutes. second - the fish do not seem to be right for this video- though I didnt have the patience to watch it to the end.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!!! Believe it or not that is a special form of Star Pylops. Instead of growing across the rocks it grows out in branches. I love having star pylops in my tank without them taking over.

Whiskey
Give us a clue what is this 'special form'. called? BTW - as you can see in my build thread - I have a fair bit of GSP - there is no magic.... Mine also do not spread that far(but maybe I have the special kind)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back