150 gallon budget build lots of DIY

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mostly just an upgrade from my 93 cube. As far as equipment I run a DIY algae scrubber. A 150 reef octopus. Will have dual return pumps but just jeboa. Reef breeders rpm wave makers. I am a budget reefer for sure. All my valves I recondition when they get thrown out. Ato is a diy one I got the idea for from reef dudes. Using a 10 gallon for the reservoir. Lights will be viparspectra with lenses removed. Have had good luck with them over the years.

Will be a mixed reef.

IMG_20201008_163341_101.jpg
I’m going to use Viparspectra in my Tank, 4 units over a 6’ tank. Do you remove all of the lenses or jut certain ones? I was only planning on removing the reds, greens, and uv lenses to even out the slight variances. My tank is a 28” tall 210gal so I was concerned about light penetration. I only scape to about half way up and let corals grow upward from there.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to use Viparspectra in my Tank, 4 units over a 6’ tank. Do you remove all of the lenses or jut certain ones? I was only planning on removing the reds, greens, and uv lenses to even out the slight variances. My tank is a 28” tall 210gal so I was concerned about light penetration. I only scape to about half way up and let corals grow upward from there.
If you check out @telegraham on you tube he actually did a lot of testing about this. He actually found good results with removing all lenses or all but the outside edge. Want to say penetration shouldn't be an issue. With 4 mounted short side forward you may not even need to remove lenses. But removing lenses allows for a better spread when mounted lower.

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out @telegraham on you tube he actually did a lot of testing about this. He actually found good results with removing all lenses or all but the outside edge. Want to say penetration shouldn't be an issue. With 4 mounted short side forward you may not even need to remove lenses. But removing lenses allows for a better spread when mounted lower.
Thanks, I’ll check that out. I used radion xr15 gen 4s in the past. Nice light but the app and ecosmart app were constantly resetting my programs. Found the Viparspectra for a 50gal tall hexagon frag tank and really love it.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Brandon, and here's some data for ya, Michael. In this lens configuration, and 24" above the PAR meter, I got the below spread at 100% blue/30% white. That suggested an install height of 6-9". Those PAR numbers might look low, but under the same test conditions, a Gen 4 XR30 running AB+ at 100% will give you an average of only 96 PAR with a spread of 75%. The VS performs well with a great spectrum, strong PAR (be careful), and a respectable spread of 67%. Something else is that just like the Radion, the ViparSpectra does not emit UV. Low to medium violet, then the blues. I'd suggest installing the lights at the height you like, then dialing back the white so it's pleasing to the eye. You have some wiggle room. Hope that helps!

IMG_2086.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 1.15.12 PM.jpg
ViparSpectra.jpg

IG - @telegraham
YouTube - telegraham

Last edited:

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Brandon, and here's some data for ya, Michael. In this lens configuration, and 24" above the PAR meter, I got the below spread at 100% blue/30% white. That suggested an install height of 6-9". Those PAR numbers might look low, but under the same test conditions, a Gen 4 XR30 running AB+ at 100% will give you an average of only 96 PAR with a spread of 75%. The VS performs well with a great spectrum, strong PAR (be careful), and a respectable spread of 67%. Something else is that just like the Radion, the ViparSpectra does not emit UV. Low to medium violet, then the blues. I'd suggest installing the lights at the height you like, then dialing back the white so it's pleasing to the eye. You have some wiggle room. Hope that helps!

IMG_2086.jpg
ViparSpectra.jpg

IG - @telegraham
YouTube - telegraham

Thanks for sharing that! That is super helpful. Yeah, you’re right it’s not true uv. I had to look it up.

puckett26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man! Really interested to see how it turns out. I have seen quite a few deals like this on Facebook. The sheer amount of work required to get it to look nice was a bit daunting. Either that or maybe I’m just lazy lol.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man! Really interested to see how it turns out. I have seen quite a few deals like this on Facebook. The sheer amount of work required to get it to look nice was a bit daunting. Either that or maybe I’m just lazy lol.
Its definitely a decent amount of work. However I can work a lot harder than I have money. Lol. I also like the handy work :)

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2086.jpg
ViparSpectra.jpg

IG - @telegraham
YouTube - telegraham
Thank you for sharing this on here @telegraham. It's great info! I Try to push people your way whenever I get a chance:)

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea money seems to be that barrier I can’t breach in this hobby.
The DIY isn't that hard for most things. Half the battle is having the courage to get started and not stopping. There is so much good information out there these days. So it's easier than ever to diy.

Without Diy I definitely couldn't get nearly as much.

Alexdiaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It turned out pretty good.

I am all leak tested and ready to go. Just have to wait till I get a day or two with babysitters to do the swap. Lol
Yeah definitely update the thread when you do, would love to see the aquascape your gonna put together! Your current tank looks packed so this upgrade is needed lol

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely update the thread when you do, would love to see the aquascape your gonna put together! Your current tank looks packed so this upgrade is needed lol

Will do, I am going to try and keep this thread updated as things happen.

A buddy caught someone throwing out 150 lbs of reef saver rock. Wasn't planning on adding rock but I now have 150 lbs sitting in the garage. Lol. I love it when people throw stuff out. Makes my hobby go around. 20201015_115346.jpg

Alexdiaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A buddy caught someone throwing out 150 lbs of reef saver rock. Wasn't planning on adding rock but I now have 150 lbs sitting in the garage. Lol. I love it when people throw stuff out. Makes my hobby go around. 20201015_115346.jpg
Yeah for sure! It sure is great when you don't have buy Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far all look good mate, wish you all best with that build ;)
Just be careful with the reef saver rock, hope your is made properly, as many times I saw it peeling off the paint, and some other issues with, because of that I'm not fan using it at all. Hope you to get it properly on place w/o issues ;)

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far all look good mate, wish you all best with that build ;)
Just be careful with the reef saver rock, hope your is made properly, as many times I saw it peeling off the paint, and some other issues with, because of that I'm not fan using it at all. Hope you to get it properly on place w/o issues ;)
Thank you for letting me know. Hadn't heard that about reef saver but I can see that happening.

This is like reef saver. Guess a guy in LA county in california makes it. It was in a tank for little over a year before they got rid of it.

Only plan to use a few pieces but we will see.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for letting me know. Hadn't heard that about reef saver but I can see that happening.

This is like reef saver. Guess a guy in LA county in california makes it. It was in a tank for little over a year before they got rid of it.

Only plan to use a few pieces but we will see.
The main which the friend of mine had to count on this LR was: all the time he had issues with growing turf algae and on the surrounding LR. once he took it off all that stop. So it was painted (we don't know what was leaching from the paint or from the inner side which stick the bits in), algae growing over it, was peeling off, after some time he start to brush it to take off the algae with toothbrush, and the under layer was sandy like which was brushing away. After the took it out and brake one piece to see it inside, we realize that can't be LR for supporting bacterias and isn't worth it anything, only for decoration...
At the end the issues stop and all was fine, but none single bit of it in the tank..., after probably year and half.
If I read properly all your posts, you have and real LR, so I'll just suggest to put that one 1st and after the artificial one, if you have to take it out, not to destroy all your scapes :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back