150 Gallon- 60"x24"x24" Stock Ideas

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SCA 150 upgrade is wet and I am almost ready to transfer everything over from my current JBJ 45. I am getting some ideas together for a future stock list and wanted to see if anyone had experience with these combinations or had any thoughts to help me narrow it down. The 150 is 60"x24"x24", Trigger CR44 sump, Reef Octopus 200 INT skimmer, and plans for a refugium if needed for nutrient control and pop populations. All my current livestock will be transferred to the new tank before any new additions- transfer hopefully happening this week. Any new fish will be ordered from a pre-quarantined vendor after my current fish have settled.

Current Stock
-Yellow Coris Wrasse
-Diamond Goby
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish
-Skunk Cleaner shrimp

These fish are the options that I am struggling with. Obviously I want to match the livestock to an appropriately sized tank, but I also don't want a tank full of fish that will make the tank look small. The Yellow Tang is a must for me and I am leaning toward a Bristletooth Tang over the Convict; which I think may get to big anyway. The Foxface, Copperband, and Blue Jaw Trigger plus two Tang's sounds like it would be too much though. Five larger fish seems like a lot and could make the tank look overcrowded. The Trigger I am also unsure of in general with inverts. Any thoughts on all five together and of the three (Foxface, Copperband, Trigger) specifically?

New Stock Options
-Yellow Tang
-Bristletooth Tang
or
-Convict Tang (thinking too large?)
--------------------------------------------
-Foxface
-Copperband Butterfly
-Blue Jaw Trigger

I also want to add more Wrasse's, including a Blue Spot Leopard Wrasse, some Fairy and Flasher Wrasses, and a Firefish. That list hasn't been decided on yet as it will be dependent on what I choose from the above fish. I am also considering, space permitting, a Striped or Harptail Blenny and/or a Cardinalfish, and am open to suggestions for anything else. I am really trying to get an idea of the 'larger' fish first so I can plan out the other fish after.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2-3 tangs
Anthias
Firefish goby
Dwarf angel such as flame
Copperband butterfly (if eating)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs I’d stick to 3 at most. Not many you can do from Acanthurus IMO, maybe a Lavender or Powder Brown. Zebrasoma you have Yellow, Purple, Gem and Scopas. Most Bristletooths other than the Chevron (gets ugly as adults) will be fine.

Copperband Butterfly if you can find one that’s healthy and eating.

“Roaps” subgenus butterflies (Burgess, Tinkeri, Mitratus, Declivis), Prognathodes (Atlantic Longnose).

Smaller “large” angels: Spotbreast, Bellus, Watanabei (might be able to do a pair, females of different species can be mixed), some Chaetodontoplus species too (Scribbled, Personifer get pretty large)

Dwarf angels (you can do a trio IMO).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put two dwarf angels that are reasonably happy tank mates in at the same time you might be ok (mine took a few weeks to work out living arrangements in my 160-gallon). Three might be stretching it.

Flame hawkfish, green chromis and any dottybacks are always fan favorites.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8EDC8945-35F9-4B0A-9A81-33607699FA97.jpeg

Heniochus Singularis is a great ‘show fish’ for a 150 gallon. (They get larger than some similar looking Bannerfish.)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My H. Singularis is only about 4-5 years old; he grew at a fairly steady pace and now has plateaued. As he gets older, I believe the black and white will blend together a bit more.

I did have some Pyramid Butterflies, as someone just suggested; The trouble I had, and I think it is common, is that they often get these odd translucent spots and some scales tend to fall off, making the fish look ragged and sickly.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish, but I would worry about the dwarf angels and butterflies being reef safe. I know there are mixed reviews on the Copperband and Trigger as reef safe but I feel like the risk is lower with those two compared to other members of their genus; I may be wrong.

My biggest concern is that five larger fish, including two Tangs, Copperband, Trigger, and Foxface would overstock or at least overcrowd the tank. I'm hoping not as these are all fish I would love to include in my final stocking. But I do want to have some leeway to add more Wrasse's, Firefish, maybe some Anthias? I don't have any experience with 'larger' fish as this is my first upgrade from the small 45 cube. Would those five be too much for the tank by themselves?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10AE1DB2-5A4B-4F89-BBF2-36F1E396F23A.jpeg

Here’s a little go-by photo if you want to get a stocking visual on one of my 150s. Clown Trigger, Emperor Angel, Purple Tang, Blue Eyed Kole Tank (Two Spot), Yellow Headed Wrasse, Goldline Rabbit Fish (still small), and about 7 Damsels.

Last edited:

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All beautiful fish, but I would worry about the dwarf angels and butterflies being reef safe. I know there are mixed reviews on the Copperband and Trigger as reef safe but I feel like the risk is lower with those two compared to other members of their genus; I may be wrong.

My biggest concern is that five larger fish, including two Tangs, Copperband, Trigger, and Foxface would overstock or at least overcrowd the tank. I'm hoping not as these are all fish I would love to include in my final stocking. But I do want to have some leeway to add more Wrasse's, Firefish, maybe some Anthias? I don't have any experience with 'larger' fish as this is my first upgrade from the small 45 cube. Would those five be too much for the tank by themselves?

Copperband, i would not keep clams with them.
Pyramid is a reef safe butterfly.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10AE1DB2-5A4B-4F89-BBF2-36F1E396F23A.jpeg

Here’s a little go-by photo if you want to get a stocking visual on one of my 150s. Clown Trigger, Emperor Angel, Purple Tang, Blue Eyed Kole Tank (Two Spot), Yellow Headed Wrasse, Goldline Rabbit Fish (still small), and about 7 Damsels.

Those are beautiful fish, nice looking tank.

Here’s a photo of my rock work as well. My ecisiting rock structure from the 45 will be added to the right side once transferred. I tried to create multiple areas for fish and territories. Hard to tell in the photos but there are swim through underneath all the main rock.

D3B1BFB0-7317-4C27-A1EB-5D3BE98DE4ED.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back