150 gallon Living (Room) Reef

JBiblio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I recently moved, started a new job, and decided that now is the time to upgrade my reef tank!

A little background: I've been using a 46 gallon bowfront tank that my dad and I set up when I was in 6th grade. That reef lasted until we moved a couple yeasrs later but, between one thing and another, we were never able to set it up again. 17 years later I set it up with an external overflow (eep!) into a tiny 10 gallon, diy sump. I think it's time for a new tank!

The old tank. You can't really tell from this pic but the scratches were out of control! Everything is currently living in temporary tubs on my living room floor.
IMG_0043.jpeg

The new tank is a 150 gallon acrylic tank built by glasscages, 48x30x25, with accompanying stand and hood, also from glasscages. Over the last several years of having the tanks in the spare bedroom I decided I wanted them in the living room where I can enjoy them from the comfort of my couch. Bonus: the living room wall that will house the tanks backs up onto the garage so I plan to run the plumbing through the wall and set up the sump in the garage.

The new location. The stand on the right will be a stacked set of freshwater tanks with a 90 gallon Tanganyikan on top and a 40 breeder planted tank below.
IMG_0289.jpeg

My new baby!!!
IMG_0290.jpeg

Hopefully, we'll be moving the tank and stand into place tomorrow, although I won't be adding water for another couple weeks. So many things to work on! Next steps: plumbing and lighting!

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 inches tall, 30 inches front to back. I'd love to go taller someday but I don't fancy taking a dip every time I need to clean the front panel!

Then you have my dream tank! cept I would like it in glass. Have a wonderful time filling that new baby..! The perfect dimensions..

OP
OP
JBiblio

JBiblio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, great to see another Glass Cages tank. :)

I'm quite pleased with the tank and the communications with Joe at Glasscages. I plan to get my 90 gallon from them as well. Soon, soon!

Then you have my dream tank! cept I would like it in glass. Have a wonderful time filling that new baby..! The perfect dimensions..

Thank you, I think it's the ideal size. Enough width for a more interesting, deeper aquascape, or a lagoon-style aquascape if I want to go that route. Someday I'll upgrade again, but this should keep me busy for the next ten years or so!

OP
OP
JBiblio

JBiblio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is in place and dead level with no shims needed! Thank goodness!

IMG_0293.jpeg

The current plan for plumbing is a combination of PVC and braided vinyl tubing. PVC will take me through the wall, then switch to braided vinyl once in the garage to track along the wall to where the sump and saltwater mixing station (fancy name for a Brute trash can!) will be located.

Lighting will be a bank of four T5 bulbs and two (for now) Kessil A360X, all suspended from a lighting rack made from 1/2 in electrical conduit attached to the back of the stand. That allows me the option of removing the hood entirely if I need better access to the top of the tank.

Now to start filling!

OP
OP
JBiblio

JBiblio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wanted to put the sump in the garage but I think it is just not going to work. I did some work insulating the garage but, while it has certainly helped, it's still just a bit too warm for me to be comfortable putting the sump out there. :(

So, new plan! There's plenty of room in the stand for the sump and I still plan to have the saltwater mixing station out in the garage. I still want to make water changes as easy as possible (so I'll do them!) so I plan to put a T and gate valves on one of the return lines with a line going through the wall and into the garage. This will let me use the return line to pump water through the wall and out the garage door, with the tubing to direct the wastewater into the sewer and not onto my lawn. Then I'll have another pump in the saltwater mixing station to pump new water through another line, through the wall, back into the sump.

Not what I originally pictured, but it will work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back