150 Gallon SCA Build 48 x 36 x 20

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm starting a new build after about a decade long hiatus. My previous reefs were a 120 and 125 and I wanted to go for something with a little bit of depth/ not a rectangle. So I was originally going to get the nice standard 150 from SCA as they were on sale but the Innovative Marine 150s really caught my eye. I asked Steve to quote me on a INV 150-esque build and it was the most cost effective option I could find, with the fine people at Glass Cages in a close second. I plan on making a mixed reef with a focus most likely on LPS and a sand bed.

The Build as far as I know it right now:

Modular Marine 1600 Overflow once they catch up with their inventory as I waited to pull the trigger with SCA
Triton Method on a Bashsea 3618 Smart Series Sump
I received a Kessil A360x for free from BRS so I may run a few of those even though they're 90W units
Maybe a Cor 15 or 20 for return

Automation may come later as I cannot afford anything at the moment on top of everything else

As it stands, I have a couple of months to get my life together get everything I need. I am currently trying to decide on a stand. I know the 2x4 method is considered overkill and have been trying to look up a method of getting a plywood stand together to save precious inches but I haven't really found anything that really has shown me this is the way to do it. Also, who would I contact to ensure the floor is good for this tank as the main floor is above the basement, which is finished, so I can't see the beams. So I guess this is where I'll initially open the floor to suggestions and help! Sorry that there aren't any pictures, as soon as there's something to take a picture of I will certainly do that!

Corey

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish you all the best on your adventure!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
RevAequitas

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sump arrived, very excite! haha. Overall, pretty impressed with the product. The slots on the drains needed a little finishing as did the logos from the laser. They were kinda dirty but it wasn't difficult to clean them up. I thought I was missing a screw and later found it hiding under that floss prior to the return section. That's it for now!

Sump Box.jpg
20210219_145700.jpg
Overflow.jpg

Logo.jpg
Sump Right.jpg

Missing Screw.jpg
Found Screw.jpg
Logo.jpg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 36” tank! Being able to put coral on both side of my aquascape is amazing! And the extra space on both sides for swimming areas.

Only issue I had with my 36” tank, was that I had to turn it on its side to get through my exterior door. Although I had left it in the crate until it got inside.

OP
OP
RevAequitas

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 36” tank! Being able to put coral on both side of my aquascape is amazing! And the extra space on both sides for swimming areas.

Only issue I had with my 36” tank, was that I had to turn it on its side to get through my exterior door. Although I had left it in the crate until it got inside.
I figured that would be the case lol! Do you have a thread for that tank?

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same sump on my SCA 150 (got it used. this one was branded for ELOS). Not using the Triton method, I dremmeled out two of the filter sock holders to fit a roller mat.
The sump is HUGE, if yours is the same size as mine... 36x24x24.
My only complaint is the size of the return chamber... I‘m running two return pumps for redundancy, and it’s a tight fit.

BE94A445-2DA2-4413-9C23-20CC291F7541.jpeg

OP
OP
RevAequitas

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of your setup, super quiet! I've been going back and forth with running two maybe smaller pumps instead of one to get towards that 10x turnover. My return section is 6.5 x 11, looks like they're about the same

OP
OP
RevAequitas

RevAequitas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking for in a stand?
Just a simple stand, I was thinking a pop out door for the front and left side to drag the sump out if need be. On the right I was thinking that could be a cabinet type thing for the Apex/electronics etc. I was thinking minimal molding and no lip as I don't like that when I have to put the tank on top.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back