150 Glass Cages SPS Reef

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry. My own personal record (not in several years, thank goodness), was having to go fallow three (3) times. Very boring, I can assure you. Consequently whenever I get a tank stable now, I try not to even add a new damsel.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry. My own personal record (not in several years, thank goodness), was having to go fallow three (3) times. Very boring, I can assure you. Consequently whenever I get a tank stable now, I try not to even add a new damsel.
That doesn’t sound fun.

I’m lucky that my tank is young and I only had four fish. I lost one but the other three are doing very well about 1/2 way through copper treatment.

Dr. Reef has offered to replace any lost fish even though two were purchased through another retailer. How’s that for service?

fallow is boring. I added more snails from reef cleaners on day 1 of fallow, figuring that was the perfect time. The crew has eaten all the algae in the display and are now keeping it in check. As long as I keep my nutrients up I shouldn’t have an issue with corals or maintaining the cycle.

tha is for your comments.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The fish have made it through copper and I’m now performing water changes to lower the level below 1ppm before treating with prazi. The mimic tang hasn’t been eating very well, I’m hopeful with the reduced copper level his appetite will improve.

The display has now gone 30+ days fallow and I’ve been dealing with a persistent algae bloom that the snails have been keeping in check for the most part.

There are a few small spots of coralline growing, but they don’t seem to be spreading. Acros are a mixed bag, some seem to have good pe and color and others are struggling. Here’s a Cali Tort and another frag that were doing well up until a couple weeks ago.

CB54C55C-0893-470D-B5EB-E5B96CBCADF8.jpeg

F2A6DB43-8B62-49E5-9C71-435DCBDE3547.jpeg

you can see very little of the polyps, skin looks like it has a little mucus and the colors are getting dark and drab. Nothing has changed besides going fallow. These corals were growing very slowly, but now they look like they are dying.

Some newer corals from Cultivated Reef are struggling as well.

I’m considering taking out the right side of my rock work and replacing with 50 lbs of tbsw live rock. Maybe that will move things along.

I am very tempted on ending the fallow period and reintroducing my fish to the display, maybe that would help?

Dry rock with bare bottom is hard for me. Even with 20lbs of kp rock things are very slow. I believe the wait will be worth it and patience and diligence will be rewarded.

Husker-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The fish have made it through copper and I’m now performing water changes to lower the level below 1ppm before treating with prazi. The mimic tang hasn’t been eating very well, I’m hopeful with the reduced copper level his appetite will improve.

The display has now gone 30+ days fallow and I’ve been dealing with a persistent algae bloom that the snails have been keeping in check for the most part.

There are a few small spots of coralline growing, but they don’t seem to be spreading. Acros are a mixed bag, some seem to have good pe and color and others are struggling. Here’s a Cali Tort and another frag that were doing well up until a couple weeks ago.

CB54C55C-0893-470D-B5EB-E5B96CBCADF8.jpeg

F2A6DB43-8B62-49E5-9C71-435DCBDE3547.jpeg

you can see very little of the polyps, skin looks like it has a little mucus and the colors are getting dark and drab. Nothing has changed besides going fallow. These corals were growing very slowly, but now they look like they are dying.

Some newer corals from Cultivated Reef are struggling as well.

I’m considering taking out the right side of my rock work and replacing with 50 lbs of tbsw live rock. Maybe that will move things along.

I am very tempted on ending the fallow period and reintroducing my fish to the display, maybe that would help?

Dry rock with bare bottom is hard for me. Even with 20lbs of kp rock things are very slow. I believe the wait will be worth it and patience and diligence will be rewarded.
I went through this exact same series of events in my new tank. Transferred over all fish from my old system that I have had for years. Bought a "quarantined" tang, velvet broke loose and killed all my fish. Dino's set in and completely took over. Then tried dosing Neophos and Neonitrate during the fish-less phase. Lost over $2500 in Acropora and probably another $1,000 in other corals because I could not keep my nutrients stable/dinos ticked them all off. Looking back my recommendation would be to set the neonitrate/phosphate up on a doser

Frustrating for sure but lessons learned. Derbesia then took over, which is a devil algae from hell. Going through week 3 of vibrant and it is melting it all away. Sooner than later I hope to be able to restart with precautions.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through this exact same series of events in my new tank. Transferred over all fish from my old system that I have had for years. Bought a "quarantined" tang, velvet broke loose and killed all my fish. Dino's set in and completely took over. Then tried dosing Neophos and Neonitrate during the fish-less phase. Lost over $2500 in Acropora and probably another $1,000 in other corals because I could not keep my nutrients stable/dinos ticked them all off. Looking back my recommendation would be to set the neonitrate/phosphate up on a doser

Frustrating for sure but lessons learned. Derbesia then took over, which is a devil algae from hell. Going through week 3 of vibrant and it is melting it all away. Sooner than later I hope to be able to restart with precautions.
Wow!

So sorry you had to go through all of that! I hope the vibrant keeps working and you are able to rid your tank of dino’s.

Thanks for the recommendation regarding dosing nutrients via a dosing pump.

My tank has been improving since I performed my first water change a couple weeks ago - After a 20% water change my acros have been healing and looking better.

I need to update this thread, there’s been some progress to the build and the progression of the tank.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

My acro’s continues to declined for a few weeks and eventually started to lose tissue on the tips. I couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary so I decided to send in an ICP test a couple weeks ago. The test came back with high Aluminum and several trace elements that were at 0 or were much lower than recommended.

ICP Test Results

I performed a 20% water change and the tank started to look better within a week. I removed the marine pure block and performed another 20% water change last week. I’m not sure why my trace elements were so low, I guess not performing water changes didn’t help. I don’t know what was causing the decline in some of the acro’s, aluminum, low trace??? I will never know, but thing are on the right track.

I am changing salts to Fritz blue box thinking that a partial reason for the low trace elements is the Brightwell salt.

I am using BRS 2 part along with the Tropic Marin part A/K/C balling method. I’m not currently mixing in the Tropic Marin yet; however, I did dose my tank a small amount of A and K to try to raise my trace levels. Obviously I can’t test for them so I only dosed the min amount only 1 time. I also set up part C in another gallon container and I’m dosing that per Tropic Marin’s instructions.

we’ll see how this goes.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Update.

I have been observing my fish in QT for the past couple of weeks and the Fox Face and Scopas look real good. The Mimic lost its appetite during copper and lost a lot of weight. I thought I was going to lose it. I ended up creating a tank divider and separated the Mimic from the other two fish. I have been slowly able to nurse the Mimic back to a more healthy weight - it has gone from having a sucked in stomach, poor color, and not eating to taking small seaweed pellets soaked in selcon several times a day. The fish is still skinny but is eating better and gaining weightl. Another week and I’m going to run a course of prazi before putting them back in the display after fallow on Dec. 15.

Husker-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it all seems to be tracking in the right direction for you. Getting your mimic tang to gain weight in quarantine is awesome. Good luck and look forward to your updates.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days until the Mimic, Scopas, and Foxface go back into the display! I started prazipro a couple days ago and will dose again 7 days from the first course.

Dr. Reef came through on his word.... I am receiving another Kole Tang at no charge even though the guarantee was expired! I'm really excited. I also ordered a Copperband and 9 Green Chromis. The Green Chromis will serve as dither fish with the hope of dispersing any aggression against the Copperband. I've learned my lesson and will put the new fish in QT for an observational period for at least two weeks and treat if necessary.

Most of the acropora are encrusting and growing. Coralline is starting grow, lots of small specs all over the rock, bottom, and back of the tank.

I added another Maspect Gyre xf280 and have them set to run of the Oceanic Gyre setting... so much water movement is created along with the two mp40's.

I have 20 lbs of Tampa Bay Saltware Premium rock coming soon... I would like to add more diversity and critters to the tank. The tangs will appreciate all the macro that comes on that rock. 5FB3B140-B0DA-44B7-90F2-D3E95B34534E.jpeg C19DF1AB-581D-49EE-8018-5FE90085A408.jpeg 11853F07-B2E4-4F2E-B72D-5051F80BA9F5.jpeg 34FBDBB7-A3C3-4AED-9E2A-597905EE4851.jpeg D337FE53-5784-4A8B-885B-D9E4ECF131F9.jpeg 1A4C3A7D-F163-40B4-A4BC-5EDD94A6C123.jpeg 50973710-A7C0-443B-B35F-DEF7EDE6E0F5.jpeg
This Yongi was in poor shape a month ago, but now the coral is growing over the dead skeleton and even over the algae!! So cool to watch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONLY 5 days left now. How are the fish?
Fish look great. They are pecking at the algae growing in the qt, some good nutrition for them. Next Tuesday is the big day! Then I have to clean out the qt for the next batch: 9 green chronos, Kole Tang, and Copperband. I’m glad I purchased a 40 breeder for a qt.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish look great. They are pecking at the algae growing in the qt, some good nutrition for them. Next Tuesday is the big day! Then I have to clean out the qt for the next batch: 9 green chronos, Kole Tang, and Copperband. I’m glad I purchased a 40 breeder for a qt.
I realized that if most of the chromis survive long term and you grow a big stag or slimer colony then you could have what your gif shows :)

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days until the fish go back in the display. I started my second dose of prazipro this morning. The fish look good, I’m looking forward to getting them back in the tank.

Once I transfer the fish the qt will be drained, wiped down, and refilled with 78 degree water to get ready for the next batch of fish: 9 chronos, kole tang, and Copperband. I’m going to leave the filters alone as to not disturb the bacteria.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone watch/listen to “Reef Beef”? They are very informative and entertaining, I’m hooked! I have their podcast set on my phone and listen to them on my 35 minute work commute. Give them a listen if you have not heard of them, Rich and Ben are pros with great information to share.

ReefBeef

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 76 is here and the fish went back into the display, it’s nice to see so much activity again! I’ll post pictures in a couple days, I have some busy days at work.

I have another order of fish coming from Dr Reef on Thursday. I drained, cleaned, and filled up the qt again with heated water. I rinsed out the filter media (sponges) with old qt water so I wouldn’t disturb the bacteria.

I ordered a Trident during the Black Friday sales, and I received a defective unit. The replacement unit came in today and has been working without issue so far. The first round of tests were very close to my salifert results so we are good! I’ll calibrate it in a few days and see if they get even closer.

more to come…..

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back