150 high tank

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going out on a limb and guessing this tank is 24" tall. I would do three 400w halides, with some sort of actinic supplementation

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no...the 150 high is 48 x 24 x 30. I'd say 2 400 radiums in luminarc's if it were me. You could probably get away with 250's if you were putting softies/lps on the bottom.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same tank and yes, it's 30" tall. Quite a pain to do work in but...

I started out with 2 400W 14K's and ran those successfully for about 6 months. The heat was unreal though and the chiller was kickin my butt ($$). i moved to T5's about 8 months ago and run 12x54w Sfiligoi Stealth. I can grow anything anywhere in the tank without a problem. The taller tanks are challenging but you have options...just depends on what kind of look you're going for. Cheers.

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is the same height and i run 14 T5s. so far i dont have any issues with coral growth/coloration.

OP
OP
My Coral Reef

My Coral Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 t5 but i want go with mh 2 250 20k luman brights reflectors radium lamps what do you think

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will work just fine. You may need to keep most of your SPS in the top 2/3rds with that setup but the color should be great! And that's typically where SPS is kept anyway. Radiums are just incredible bulbs - can't go wrong. The reflectors should give plenty of light to the tank.

Nive website btw...haven't ordered from you guys before. May have to place an order here soon.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy has the same tank and at the moment he is only runing 2-250 watt 20k radiums and he has a ton of sps. The sps is even growing on the bottom of the tank. He is running lumen max elite reflectors though.

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have friends with both. I personally like lumenmax elites because they spread the light out a little more where as the lumenbrights seem like they have a spotlight effect. I have two friends that have the 150 tall, One is running 2-250radiums on the elites and has a great tank and the other is running 2-400 watt radiums on lumenbrights and has a great tank. The only thing is that you can actually see the dark spots on my buddies tank who has the LB's Im sure that if you raise them up though that it might not be that way. In that case it would depend on your canopy.

WHAT REFLECTORS ARE BETTER

lumen max elite reflectors

OR

LUMAN BRIGHTS

OP
OP
My Coral Reef

My Coral Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 11 1/2 inch to play witham run 250 you you think that good or do need to go with 400 buy i can not run a chiller

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you're fine with 250's if you're using Radiums and high end reflectors. Unless you want to keep a BB tank and grow stuff on the glass, the suggestions given above will work fine. I've seen tanks using 250w Radiums that were 30" deep and keeping SPS pretty much anywhere. Just be mindful of the type of SPS you're putting where and you'll be fine.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using a bluewave 7 ballast for my 2 250w radiums bulbs in diy luminarc reflectors and all i can say is its alot of light going into my 150xt! i dont use atinics and it looks great! im going for the tru mixed reef look and have one of my radiums closer to the water by 3" over by my mp40 and higher on the other side.....you cant even tell the light is less. i have sps and they are getting a good emound of light off the radiums....so far the only thing that i have not ben able to keep under radiums is acans....even all the way on the bottom of my 150! wiered?

here is the vid of my not even month old 150 that i transfered from a 2.5 year old 125

YouTube - CustomColors 150 Gal XT peninsula mixed reef tank IN HD!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back