((150g reef aquarium)) Fairly new at this and could use some advice!!

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to the hobby, so please excuse me if I ask dumb questions [emoji51]

I have been mulling over the idea of having a 150g Reef tank setup for a couple months now and, since I actually have the room for it now, I would love to start one. I have been doing my research and I know that I want to DIY the sump (wayyy cheaper-- unless you guys know a place that sells sumps on the cheaper end of the spectrum), I am looking into protein skimmers, and will most likely build my own RODI system. However, I do have a bunch of questions.

1) how big of a tank should I get for the sump? And is there any preferred way to split up the sections of a sump for a reef aquarium? (I would love to hear your opinions!)

2) Would you recommend Live rock or dried rock? the thought of live rock is extremely intimidating to me because I do have other tanks I would like to continue to put time into and there seems to be many time-consuming problems with live rock. Also, do you experienced aquarists have a preferred rock? I was really looking into Pukani but I've also heard of this purple dry rock that seems to have a lot of benefits and can be shaped pretty easily.

3) Would sand be a better substrate or crushed corals and shells? maybe a mix? I'm really not sure on this one. Both are so pretty IMO.

4) Would my two clowns (one black and white percula and one percula) be okay with a yellow tank and flame angelfish or should I keep them in their 20g?

5) Would it be more beneficial to buy an RODI unit or DIY my own? also, if it comes down to buying one, where is the best place to look, or, if DIYing, how many chambers do I really need/what media should I use?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here goes:

1) Get as big as you can fit. For baffle layout, it really depends what you want to keep in the sump. I prefer three chambers, perhaps with bubble traps between them (I pulled them out of my current sump for more space); however they were crucial for preventing bubbles on another system. Also, consider space for (in no particular order) reactors, skimmer, return pumps, plumbing, filter socks, scrubbers, and so on. I suggest looking at some prefabricated sumps for ideas...

2) I have built all my tanks with live rock to seed dry rock. However, the cost of bottle bacteria is so low now, it is hard to ignore the idea of using dry rock only. I have never had any seriously bad hitch hikers with my imported live rock, but there are some interesting horror stories out there. If you can, borrow a live rock from a friends tank to help seed some safe biodiversity and save your money by going with dry rock.

3) I have always used coarse Carib Sea Aragonite sand. Aside from aesthetic, I doubt it matters... Some digging fish (like gobies) might prefer coarse sand, I am not sure...

4) The flame angel may or may not be reef safe. Do some reading and weight the risks for yourself. But yes, the tang and the angel should be fine with your clowns.

5) As a huge DIY fan, there are some things which I would not DIY, such as an RO/DI system. I use a four stage: Particle -> Carbon -> RO -> DI. Some recommend a five stage, but with fresh filters I get 0 TDS, so I am fine with it. I could see it being cheap and easy to DIY the first two stages. However, it comes down to risk of failure and maintenance; I have never had very good source water, so if my DIY RODI failed and I was topping up with tap water, bad things would happen. That said, if you really think it would be fun, then go for it! Make sure you post about it in the DIY forums :)

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the reply!

If I am on well water and have zero traces of chlorine etc. would I still need an RODI unit? I almost feel like it's overkill, honestly. Could I just treat the water so it's not as hard?

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does a 75g seem too small for a YT? They're so cute and I would love to have one but spacial plans changed and I won't have as much space as I had previously planned.

jmerideth1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I am on well water and have zero traces of chlorine etc. would I still need an RODI unit? I almost feel like it's overkill, honestly. Could I just treat the water so it's not as hard?
Well water can have trace amounts of iron or other things that aren't tested for and sometimes corals can be successfully kept even for a few months then decline for no reason that you can see...

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am on well water as well, it tastes great to drink, but has all sorts of stuff in it that I do not want in my tank. I would never us anything other than RO/DI water and ocean salt. Others have had success though... Not worth the risk to me... the RO/DI systems costs a lot less than replacing all my corals...

babyg2.0 said:
Also, does a 75g seem too small for a YT? They're so cute and I would love to have one but spacial plans changed and I won't have as much space as I had previously planned.

Length is important with tangs... a 4' long tank should be fine for yellow tangs; heck my LFS even says they would be fine in a 3' tank... Others may feel a 6' tank is the minimum for any tang... Use your best judgement and make sure it is happy and healthy...

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! You guys are so helpful! My dad doesn't believe an RODI is worth the cost but I don't want to lose my livestock over something so petty.

The tank I'm looking at is 18.5"L x 48.5"W x 21.125"H. I just don't want any stressed fish.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get an RODI. $150 is not much to guarantee good water. I'm not doubting your father but unless you tested your water for nitrate, phosphate, metals, silicate, and tons of other elements then RODI water is the right choice. The RO system isnt just for chlorine, theres a lot of other things that are just as bad

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get an RODI. $150 is not much to guarantee good water. I'm not doubting your father but unless you tested your water for nitrate, phosphate, metals, silicate, and tons of other elements then RODI water is the right choice. The RO system isnt just for chlorine, theres a lot of other things that are just as bad

That's what I was thinking. I'd much rather be safe than sorry in this case. Thanks!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An idea for your sand for you !
Small grain sand tends too get blown about a bit in high flow areas so you could start with sand and once your set up and you see the areas that get blown around or away , put a larger grain sand there , it won't get blown around .. also if you intend too get a goby or other sand filterer , with small grain sand you will end up with a sand storm effect in the tank ( I've just found this out myself :oops:). It's not all the time but in the end a lot more work blowing sand of your rock work and corals .
Just an after thought but ....also watch the height of your tank the higher the sides the more difficult too clean at the bottom .. j

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An idea for your sand for you !
Small grain sand tends too get blown about a bit in high flow areas so you could start with sand and once your set up and you see the areas that get blown around or away , put a larger grain sand there , it won't get blown around .. also if you intend too get a goby or other sand filterer , with small grain sand you will end up with a sand storm effect in the tank ( I've just found this out myself :oops:). It's not all the time but in the end a lot more work blowing sand of your rock work and corals ..

That's why I was thinking I could mix a more coarse sand or even crushed corals with ocean sand? I'm not sure if that will work. Also, would live sand be better or does it not really matter? If I use live rock and live sand, could that be too much?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I was thinking I could mix a more coarse sand or even crushed corals with ocean sand? I'm not sure if that will work. Also, would live sand be better or does it not really matter? If I use live rock and live sand, could that be too much?
Yes coarse and fine will work but eventually all the small grain will come too lay on the top (personal experience :confused:) live sand and live rock is good it's never too much .only difference is with dry rock your cycle time will be longer because bacteria will need too cultivate in the dry rocks / live rocks will have a shorter cycle .

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh and there's no such thing as a dumb question on here :D:D:D if you don't know something or your not sure ask ... it's always better to ask or research than too guess or make an unnecessary mistake .. and if you don't understand something it's better too ask ten times or at least till you do understand ... there's enough friendly people with an awesome amount of knowledge who are more than willing to help or answer questions !!!

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes coarse and fine will work but eventually all the small grain will come too lay on the top (personal experience :confused:) live sand and live rock is good it's never too much .only difference is with dry rock your cycle time will be longer because bacteria will need too cultivate in the dry rocks / live rocks will have a shorter cycle .

Would it be okay to move my clowns into the tank while the rock is cycling? If so, then I will definitely go with dry rock.

Will adding live sand with dry rock help to cycle the rock faster?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you should read this !!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/
And no you don't want too put anything other than bacteria in the tank while it's cycling with dry rocks , not until your parameters are good and your tank has cycled ,
0 ammonia ! Your tank should be able too convert 1-2 ppm ammonia within 24 hrs of testing .. that would be a good starting point too add your first fish .. imo !
Ooh and patience your gonna need lots and lots of patience ... research and good preparation and a heap load of patience, remember nothing good happens fast in a reef aquarium.. !!!!hope all this has helped !! welcome too the addiction and the bottomless money pit !!!!happy reefing !!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back