150G SPS Home Office Upgrade Build

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the kind words AiKkz. I just checked out your build, not too shabby yourself, nice work! I will definitely try to keep the updates coming more frequently since the tank is moving away from the rocks and water stage
Thank you!! You’re scape is awesome!! I never liked the look of flat rock until I saw yours lol!!!

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice build you have. Being a tech person I rally like all the components of this system.

Thank you strange33w, Ya the gear is almost as fun as the fish and corals, especially when things are working as intended.

Thank you!! You’re scape is awesome!! I never liked the look of flat rock until I saw yours lol!!!

Thanks AiKkz, I am really liking the flat rock as well. Stuff in my frag system always seemed to do better than in my old display, and I think that was partially due to the consistent light on the flat frag racks.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fiance and I are looking to buy a new shared camera. She is a marine biologist and wants to use it for whales and such on these multi-week whale/bird cruises she goes on into Mexico and Ill use it for the tank and such.

We want a Canon due to the lenses etc, and are trying to decide between the Canon EOS R, which is mirrorless and the EOS 7D Mark II. She will be doing a mix of photos and video so I think we are leaning toward the EOS R. Does anybody have any experience with these cameras that can add some insight?

Thanks

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build- looking forward to seeing it mature! I am envious of being able to put tanks in the garage, just no easy way to control the heat in FL and a chiller would probably break me in electricity. Keep the pics coming!

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! What is lighting up your rodi and mixed salt bins? Looks cool

Hi, thanks. I cut a hole below each container and stuck these LED discs underneath. Then they are activated by a motion detector when I walk into the garage. Looks like the exact ones I bought aren’t available anymore on amazon.

D0ECE428-253D-4A2D-B1F4-7B4B5CBB33A7.jpeg

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build- looking forward to seeing it mature! I am envious of being able to put tanks in the garage, just no easy way to control the heat in FL and a chiller would probably break me in electricity. Keep the pics coming!
Much appreciated jaxredsoxfan, I look forward to it maturing too. The tank in the garage is nice, especially a frag tank where water is always spilling on the floor. Winter is the biggest challenge for me, since I don’t have any insulation in garage and things do get chilly(ish) even in Southern California, but I have 1,500 watts of heaters which do the trick for that system.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Remember how many pounds of rock you used?
Thanks Fishboy! I ordered 50 pounds of the regular shelf rock and 10 pounds of a combo of the small and medium shelf rock. I had about 10-15 pounds left over afterwards. The shelf rock was really easy to work with.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change today and took a quick video of my frag tank. If anyone is local to Southern California (Ventura area) hit me up, I have some nice vivid confetti frags that are all healed up and ready to go. I have several other frags as well.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few recent shots of the 150. I ran into some issues due to being busy at work and not staying up with monitoring nutrients, my phosphates were off the charts (180 on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker). Things browned out, but are starting to look better again with some TLC.

42915DCC-4AC4-46A7-99D5-CA9387DD420C.jpeg

A8AF5B85-2F44-4EAA-BBCA-D1CF83BB6BEB.jpeg

16910E8B-58F7-45C4-90B8-B3D93289E20F.jpeg

C48AE389-60BE-4310-A6AE-6D90FA63D45F.jpeg

6852848B-933E-4303-B5A4-062B3BCC84AB.jpeg
2678CC44-FFF7-41B3-A464-1D0C16FD4963.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back