150G SPS Home Office Upgrade Build

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I wanted to document/share my latest SPS adventure. I welcome any feedback (good or bad) and would love to use the vast experience of the reef2reef community to aide me in this endeavor.

I have been reefing for a while now and have had several builds. I am always learning, especially from my mistakes. The goal of this build is use my past experience to put the tank together in a way where equipment is easy to access, plumbing is functional, with room to grow (add equipment), wiring is clean/accessible and the aquascape is structured in a way that I have room for a lot of coral, shaded areas for lower light coral (chalices etc), a ton of flow and room for fish to swim.

Lets get started :) The first thing I wanted to do was thank @Crystal Reef Aquatics for the awesome sump (more to come) and @Bulk Reef Supply for the great customer service and advice along the way. I must have had at least 5,589 BRS boxes delivered to my house over the last couple of months. I plan on following their BRS/WWC method/guidelines when setting up the tank and cycling it etc.

The tank is going into my home office (which I plan to redo as well). I had an opportunity to pick up this 150 gallon from an acquaintance. The tank was exactly what I wanted for the space I had, a custom built 150 gallon rimless (48LX30WX22.5H) with a coast to coast overflow. There was also a matching steel stand.

The only issue I had was the stand was so wide that it would not fit through my office door... This meant I would have to take off my office window and somehow lift this very heavy stand into the office from the outside. Although this was likely to be a major pain in the butt I felt it was worth it.

The first picture is of the tank when I bought it, before I brought it home.

IMG_5236.JPG

Once it was in my garage, I cleaned it up a bit and added some paint. Next step was to prep my office.

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5299.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. Your fish will love the room in it. Sucks that you had to take out your window. Good luck with the build. Look forward to seeing the progress.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. Your fish will love the room in it. Sucks that you had to take out your window. Good luck with the build. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Thanks! Ya the window sucked, luckily I had 3 able friends help. The window was actually pretty easy to take out, but the stand was much more difficult to get into the office than the tank due to the awkward weight of the thing.

Jason

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my ATO and Auto Water Change (DOS) in the closet and then ran everything through the wall. The Auto water change lines run up into my attic and come down into my garage where my salt mixing station and utility sink (drain) are located. I also put a power outlet in the closet to make thing easier :)

IMG_6898.JPG
IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6899.JPG
IMG_6900.JPG

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mostly done with my accessory/control panels, I am waiting on a few white desk grommets to arrive to finish things off.

Left side

IMG_6722.JPG
IMG_6891.JPG
IMG_6894.JPG

Right side

IMG_6887.JPG
IMG_6888.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
How did you do this. I want to do something pretty much identical I just don’t know where to even begin, or how to keep the power supply’s suspended like that and so clean looking.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, first class build. You are off to a great start. I have not been a fan of that rock myself but your 'scape is awesome.

My cat also likes to help me in the office:rolleyes:

Thanks, I appreciate the support :) The shelf rock was so easy to deal with compared to other rock I have worked with, I can't wait to get some corals attached.

How did you do this. I want to do something pretty much identical I just don’t know where to even begin, or how to keep the power supply’s suspended like that and so clean looking.

I just measured the space and built the boxes with plywood and .75" x 4.5' boards for the perimeter. I used 1"x 2"s for the power blocks, then zip tied the blocks on them. There are a few pics of the building process a few posts above. This keeps the power supplies suspended a bit as well, so you can stuff wires under them. PM me if you want more info, I would be happy to help.

Well done!

Thanks, this has been a long process, I am stoked to finally get water in it.

Jason

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I made seven magnetic door panels. I originally wanted to leave the stand open, but it was a little too loud for an office environment, where I am trying not to to get distracted when working at home. The doors did a great job of reducing the noise.

IMG_6810.JPG
IMG_6809.JPG

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sump setup, I purchased a 44" Triton Stealth sump from @Crystal Reef Aquatics, who were a pleasure to work with and were quick to answer each of my 3,123 questions. The size and workmanship of the sump is great. I love all the quality of life features, such as the adjustable baffles and John Guest fittings.

I have always ran a fuge, and I was originally planning to run one with this build as well, I still might 50/50. However I have always had an issue with very low nutrients and have had to feed a ton and/or have dosed NO3 and PO4 to get detectable levels. I may try do go without one at first, and if I run into problems I will fire it up. Even if I don't run a fuge, the extra water volume and space associated with the fuge chamber is a plus.

I have a reef RO Regal 200INT, a RO Varios 8 as my return and a RO Varios 6 to run my manifold. I set it up in a way, where the Varios 6 can also act as a return if needed by turning a two valves (in case the main return fails). I am running 1 1/4" PVC on the return/manifold and 1 1/2" PVC off my overflows. The Varios 6 had issues on arrival, where it was not able to push water from the sump to the tank. I contacted @Bulk Reef Supply and they set me up with coralvue who were quick to work with me to fix the issue. The Varios 8 on the other hand is a beast, that things pushes a ton of water at the #2 setting!

I am running 3 Finnex 500W titanium heaters controlled my my apex. The Varios 8 has a 2" flow sensor and I have a 1/2" sensor on one of my reactor valves, I have a few other flow sensors (1" and 1/2" ) that I need to figure out what to do with. I have six 12" LEDS illuminating the sump area. I plan to run a Geo CARX when the tank (and my wallet) is ready for it.

The wall behind the tank is an external wall, which I most likely will draw air for my skimmer and possibly put a chiller (in a weather proof box) outside. I have a 1" valve pointed back toward the wall in case I want to go the chiller route.

Thanks for checking it out,

Jason

IMG_6906.JPG
IMG_6907.JPG
IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6909.JPG

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and clean! I like it a lot...
PS - you might need to raise the skimmer. I believe that skimmer recommends 7-9 inches of sump depth for optimal performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and clean! I like it a lot...
PS - you might need to raise the skimmer. I believe that skimmer recommends 7-9 inches of sump depth for optimal performance.

Hi thanks :) Ya the skimmer is just sitting in there as a placeholder at the moment. I added bacteria and a shrimp a few days ago, I may wait a few more days to start it up. When I lower the water level to the right height the waterfall from the fuge section is too loud. I am trying to figure out what platform to use for the skimmer, may just go the egg crate with pvc legs route. Any other ideas?

Looks Amazing! Nice Build.

Thanks Vaughn

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo, how do you plan on keeping the cats out of the tank? lol. I really want a cat but am convinced it'd be in the tank fishing in no time... :p

Very nice build too BTW.

OP
OP
JPK

JPK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
636D5812-00A6-4CD0-A7C2-68BFDA5DA74A.jpeg
CCE41554-8AC5-4095-917D-378C60760161.jpeg
Soo, how do you plan on keeping the cats out of the tank? lol. I really want a cat but am convinced it'd be in the tank fishing in no time... :p

Very nice build too BTW.

Ha, when I was setting it up the cats were all about the tank. Now that there is water in it they don’t seem to care

Back