151 Gallon Planet Aquarium Premium Reef Crystaline Build

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 years after getting into this hobby I am putting together my dream tank. I have had several tanks over the years from a 20 tall, 29 gallon and a Nuvo 30L. The Nuvo 30L is still up and running and will be shut down once the new 151g is setup.

20 Gallon Build Thread - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mwbeachs-30-gallon.176842/#post-2041113
Nuvo 30L Build Thread - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nuvo-30l-build-thread-started-build-december-2018.520661/

I have always been a fan of the panoramic tanks and therefore was drawn to the 5'x2'x2' size. I had been eyeballing this tank for quite some time at the LFS. I recently purchased the tank (October 2020) and began the build process. Sorry for just getting around to a build thread. This will be a long post to get up to where I am at today.

So the tank was delivered by the LFS and put into the room, this is where the fun begins. I knew that there were a few staples that I had to have when building this tank. I knew that I wanted to run a full blown Apex setup, Auto Fleece Roller, Dual Return pumps, and an auto water change system that runs from the garage.

Tank & Stand - 151 Gallon Planet Aquarium Premium Reef Crystaline. Stand is their Mocha Color.
1610935540687.png
62880695052__5B9851F0-2766-41A0-B96E-B27C55162D4E.jpg

Sump - Tideline Sump that comes with the package
1610937889984.png

Apex
I already had an Apex EL from my Nuvo 30L. I bought it knowing I would use it on this tank one day. I have since added a few components. I won a Trident in a raffle ($15) which was amazing! I also have purchased, mostly from people on here, 3- AFS (Probably will only use 2), Cor 20, Cor 15, ATK, 2 - DOS, Probe Holders, WXM, switch panel, and breakout box. I plan to add a flow meter for the UV and the LDK.

Auto Fleece Roller
The sump has 2 7" filter sock holders in the first section. I ended up cutting out the acrylic in order to accommodate the Clarisea SK-5000. Once I got it cut out, I put the SK-5000 in and it needed a platform due to the width of the opening, it would not sit down far enough. I do a lot of 3d printing, so I designed and printed a stand for this. Now it fits in their like a glove.
63155442433__593C6611-E02C-49E9-9492-045E2D011DAC.jpg
63155441207__EC0D440E-345C-4917-985B-E3B01B6833D5.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg

Return Pumps
I will be running a dual return pump setup. I have a Cor15 and a Cor20. Each will feed one of the return lines.

Skimmer
I met a local guy who was getting out of the hobby and was able to get a good deal on many items that I was still needing. I ended up getting a Octo Regal 150-s skimmer, Octo LR150 Light Reactor, 3 Hydra 26 HDs and 1 Hydra 32 from. I was not sure which skimmer to land on, but after the deal I got, it was decided due to that.

Light Reactor
This was part of the package of equipment that I got from the guy mentioned above. I was not planning on using a light reactor and just use the refugium section of the sump. I have never used one of these before, but will give it a try and see how it goes. Any advice?

IMG_1750.jpg

Lighting
This is another area that I was not sure which direction I would head. I knew that I wanted to go with LED and wanted it to look clean and sleek. I was looking at going with either Radions or Hydras. I kept looking around for good deals and came across the guy mentioned above that had 3 Hydra 26 HDs and 1 Hydra 32. As of now, I plan to light the tank with these 4. I may end up selling the 32 to get another 26 HD just so they can all be programmed together. I was looking at a way to mount the lights. I looked at hanging, the single HMS Mounts, The multi light mount, but none of them really appealed to me for the look I was going with. I decided that I would just custom build my own. I decided to go with 10 series 1" square T-slotted Extruded Aluminum. I have 4' bars going vertically which are bolted to the back of the stand with 4 bolts on each side, then it 90s to a 13" bar to bring it to the center of the tank and then a 4' wide bar that connects it all. The lights will mount using the Hydra 26/32 Brackets. The brackets are on the way which is why the lights are not hanging yet.
IMG_2032.jpg

ATO Reservoir
I knew that I wanted to hold between 15-20 gallons. I initially went with a local guy that makes them out of acrylic. He was designing it to match the sump so it looked consistent. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the build and it did not work out. This led me to the Innovative Marine 15 gallon Hyrdrofill Reservoir. Although not white to match the sump, this is a really nice and well built reservoir. I have a line running from the garage (Vertically 14 feet and 60 feet horizontally) which will fill this reservoir. I plan to program a button with the apex, as well as a high a low sensor that can automate this.

Powerheads
I have used a variety over the years from Jebao, Hydor and Gyres. I have never used the MP series that everyone raves about. I was also looking at the Neptune WAV. After looking around, asking for advice I decided to go with the MP40s. I am planning to run 2 of these, one on each side. I am not sure how I will program it yet, but that will come with time.

Plumbing
Went with the fairly common route of hard plumbing. I chose orange and Sch80 Gray for the color scheme. I am using 8-10" of silicone tubing from the return to the hard pipe, to help with any vibration/noise (which is very limited anyway) Excuse the wiring mess, Wire cleanup had not happened when the pictures were taken.
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg

Rock/Sand
I have always started my tanks with Dry Rock and Dry Sand. I am one that doesn't like to deal with pests and do what I can to eliminate those. I know this takes longer to cycle but it is worth it to me. Obviously, I can still get them down the road through corals, etc. The sand I went with is the CaribSea Special Grade. I have been working on the aquascape and am pretty close to finalizing it. Once finalized, I will be using E-Marco 400 in gray to bond all the rock together to create a solid and sturdy structure.

UV
This is a piece of equipment that I have never used in the past on tanks. I purchased a Pentair Smart UV 40W second hand and am looking forward to see how this works.
1610937860969.png

Sump Lighting
I got some of the LED strip lighting off of Amazon and hooked it up to the underside of the stand. I plan to program this to the breakout box on the apex with magnetic door switches to auto turn on the sump lights when I open one of the doors. For now, its manual, but still really cool. I can choose any color I want and can even run a light show ;-)
IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg

Finally got the tank setup, light bar mounted, plumbing done and now time to add the water. I connected the RODI system to one of the lines in the garage and began filling the tank. 15+ hours later and the tank is full!
63251388896__1BBB9F26-FFB9-4942-A4DE-F6D73ED46007.jpg
IMG_1995 (1).jpg
IMG_1994 (1).jpg

Been working on the Aquascape for the past few days. Let me know your thoughts! Please shoot me straight and give me honest constructive feedback!
IMG_2028.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG
img_2027-jpg.1983728
IMG_2026 (1).JPG
63251388896__1BBB9F26-FFB9-4942-A4DE-F6D73ED46007 (1).jpg IMG_1499.jpg IMG_2027.JPG

Last edited:

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Love the 5 x 2 x 2 size. Great job on the plumbing and aquascape! Both beautiful.
What do you think of the Tideline sump? Looking at the photo it seems pretty nice.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I like how particular you are with coordinating mundane details like plumping colors :p . Also, like you, I start with dry rock and sand--adds about a year on a normal tank's maturity, but I accept that, and dose lots of bacteria strains, pods, and phytoplankton, regularly, to overcome the dry start. Beautiful tank--so jealous!

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Love the 5 x 2 x 2 size. Great job on the plumbing and aquascape! Both beautiful.
What do you think of the Tideline sump? Looking at the photo it seems pretty nice.
Thank you. So far I like it. Very spacious
Nice! I like how particular you are with coordinating mundane details like plumping colors :p . Also, like you, I start with dry rock and sand--adds about a year on a normal tank's maturity, but I accept that, and dose lots of bacteria strains, pods, and phytoplankton, regularly, to overcome the dry start. Beautiful tank--so jealous!
Thank you. Every detail matters in my opinion. I have done every tank this way except my first. I use Dr Tim’s, Brightwell, Seachem as well as phyto to add to the system.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot happened today with the tank. I filled it up completely to turn all the pumps on, check for leaks and dial in the drain valves. In filling it up the overflow box has a small leak inside of the tank. Thankfully it’s inside the tank. I drained the tank below the overflow, took it apart, checked for anything that would prevent a good seal and put back on. I have since filled it back up and the leak is still there but much smaller. I just tightened the bulkheads a little more and will check again shortly.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feedback on the scape-

The third peak on the left side overpowers the smaller structure on the right. It might feel more balanced if the peak is lowered slightly to give a downward flow to the right. I don't even know if that makes sense.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! im looking to upgrade to a 5' x 2.5' x 2' in about a year but was thinking about the 6" ledge i have right now for feeding and testing and what not. might go with the 5' x 2' x 2'..

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very good!

I have the same tank arriving in a couple weeks and have a few questions for you (if you don't mind).

Why did you center the sump instead of putting it to one side? I feel like having 2 areas for more equipment may complicate things, but am curious your thoughts on this.

How are you going to provide flow to reactors? I don't see any kind of manifold, but I may be missing it.

Is it normal for the emergency drain to not go to the drain section and right to the fuge?

I like the scape, and am currently working on mine as well!

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I am debating between this tank and the IM 170.
So far I love it! I havent seen the IM 170 in person. I have a Nuvo 30L and love it also
Feedback on the scape-

The third peak on the left side overpowers the smaller structure on the right. It might feel more balanced if the peak is lowered slightly to give a downward flow to the right. I don't even know if that makes sense.
Im kinda understanding.... can you clarify?
Nice! im looking to upgrade to a 5' x 2.5' x 2' in about a year but was thinking about the 6" ledge i have right now for feeding and testing and what not. might go with the 5' x 2' x 2'..
After getting this, personally, I wouldn't go more than 24" deep.
Looks very good!

I have the same tank arriving in a couple weeks and have a few questions for you (if you don't mind).

Why did you center the sump instead of putting it to one side? I feel like having 2 areas for more equipment may complicate things, but am curious your thoughts on this.

How are you going to provide flow to reactors? I don't see any kind of manifold, but I may be missing it.

Is it normal for the emergency drain to not go to the drain section and right to the fuge?

I like the scape, and am currently working on mine as well!
Thank you! I put the sump there due to the left side having the ATO container, which gives me room on the right side for dosing containers, etc. Ill take a pic to show how it is now with most of the equipment. I did not go with a manifold on this setup. I will run a different pump for those items. I put the emergency in that location so it would make a TON of noise and I would know that water was going down it.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a couple weeks since I updated. So here is where I am currently.

I have no leaks! So that is a great thing! I do have only 1 return pump runnning due to a mistake I made on plumbing. I accidently made the pipe to long and dont have room to connect the silicone tubing. I have to order a couple parts to make it all work.

I have nailed down the aquascape and used E-Marco 400 to bond it all together. I have since added it to the tank as well as the sand. I used 80lbs of Caribsea Special Grade. Picture below, still cloudy from adding sand.
1809F151-A19B-42FD-9397-5A94B4F873A3.jpeg

I have also gone ahead and started the cycling process. I have always used Dr Tims, but am going to try out Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter Start XLM. I have added it to the tank as well as the Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter QuikCycl for the Ammonia.
44961307-2E31-40EA-9C97-E00EF51D0938.jpeg
86AE813E-EFFC-4D1A-8894-521F882094D5.jpeg

I have gone ahead and tested and the Ammonia levels are around 2-2.5 (little higher than I would have wanted). I have also put the Seneye Reef in to monitor ammonia and see how this reading compares/helps with the cycle.... Has anyone used this during cycling? Any input?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk about a stock list... I have not nailed this down yet and am looking for your advice. I want an active reef where the fish have a lot of color and are active. I want fish some that serve a purpose. I currently have a BW clown, standard clown and a blue tang in my other tank. These 3 will be moving into this tank for sure.

What other fish do you recommend and why?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back