15g nano tank lighting and flow for sps

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Currently have an LPS and softies tank but I want to start planning for SPS in the future. I have a 15gal and am looking for advice on what lighting I should save up for/ what lighting has worked for your SPS nano tank? Also wondering about flow and what you all recommend?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d use a kessil a80 for lighting and a jebao ow-10, set on random mode for flow. Sps is a different animal compared to softies and lps. You’ll find success by making small/gradual changes to tank parameters and only when absolutely necessary. People typically fail with sps because they do too much, too fast.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For SPS whats most important is having great spread of light. BRS has a great series going into each light and their light per dollar ratio and all their light spreads.

For flow the new AI nero 3 is an amazing pump that can be dialed back for smaller tanks. I have a 25 lagoon and its at like 25%

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sandy, 15 is an awfully tiny volume of water to keep stable, before lights and pumps i'd recommend a 50 to 100 gal sump lol! not kidding about that. i honestly don't know how nano people manage.

after your sump, radion xr15 all the way, if it doesn't boil your water ;Clown

michelle

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sandy, 15 is an awfully tiny volume of water to keep stable, before lights and pumps i'd recommend a 50 to 100 gal sump lol! not kidding about that. i honestly don't know how nano people manage.

after your sump, radion xr15 all the way, if it doesn't boil your water ;Clown

michelle
Everything she said! I wouldnt setup a SPS tank under 40-50g... Might be worth investing in a larger tank if thats the route you want to go

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, probably not a good idea in a 15g to try for an sps tank, adding a couple of easy sps to see how you go, use the light you have , if you can do that then maybe go for it.

Light I would say a Kessil a160 or a Radion 15.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run 2 AI primes on my 7.4g SPS tank and have no problem growing anything. I did have just one but I didn’t like the shadowing. For flow I use a Nero 3 on the lowest setting and it is a little strong but for your tank it would probably be perfect

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil do say it can be used for a mixed reef, no idea if that is the case or not. But I agree for a sps tank no way will it work.
My daughter and I had one on her 15g nano and it just didn't provide enough light.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back