16 Day QT for Chaeto with Pods

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chaeto with pods, I've seen anywhere from 16 days to 45 days to 76 days recommended.
*obviously 76 days is safest but trying to understand rationale/usefulness of shorter methods.

Chaeto with pods from untrusted source -- $20 on eBay and later found out these were cultured in a system with fish.
Currently in a 6 gallon QT tank sitting in corner near windows (for sunlight) with only a heater and periodic manual stirring/agitation.
*main concern is pods introducing fish disease/parasites (...pretty vague but lets say common things like ich/velvet)

Question -- what are the benefits/usefulness of these shorter QT times if fish disease/parasites (in some stages) can survive longer (in fishless systems):
-- 16 days ?
-- 45 days ?

Goals:
-- minimize risk of introducing fish-related diseases/parasites
-- not as concerned about hitchhikers like bristleworms/etc
-- keep the pods (although I could be persuaded to change my mind and only save the chaeto depending on responses)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a passing and perhaps useless thought, but can ich or other diseases complete their lifecycle in a bare bottom … just thinking out loud

edit add…I used to regularly dunk fw plants in potassium permagnate (spelling) as a precaution…
I haven’t tried SW macro algae and no clue if effective or fatal or whatever … again, passing thought

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping my own post (if that's allowed) since it's now the weekend...

Main questions are -- for QT of chaeto with pods:
*goal to minimize risk of tomonts surviving so introducing fish-related "problems" (ich/velvet/etc) being introduced into DT after QT
-- How effective (guess at percentage) is 16 day QT ... any real benefits for this short of QT ?
-- 30 day QT ? 45 day QT ? (same question)
***I think it's accepted that 76 day QT is "safe",,, just don't think I can stomach that long

New question:
If I decide I don't care about pods surviving but want high chance of chaeto surviving, what are the options? (Dips/etc)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping my own post (if that's allowed) since it's now the weekend...

Main questions are -- for QT of chaeto with pods:
*goal to minimize risk of tomonts surviving so introducing fish-related "problems" (ich/velvet/etc) being introduced into DT after QT
-- How effective (guess at percentage) is 16 day QT ... any real benefits for this short of QT ?
-- 30 day QT ? 45 day QT ? (same question)
***I think it's accepted that 76 day QT is "safe",,, just don't think I can stomach that long

New question:
If I decide I don't care about pods surviving but want high chance of chaeto surviving, what are the options? (Dips/etc)

What you are looking at is termed "depuration". The idea of reducing (but not eliminating) the chance of disease transfer. I talk about some of the issues here:

The main three diseases you want to avoid are ich, velvet and Neobenedenia flukes. If the chaeto came from a system that had fish, but not active disease, and you are holding it in a system with no fish, 30 days is often a good compromise. It is the shortest term that I typically use.

Jay

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are looking at is termed "depuration". The idea of reducing (but not eliminating) the chance of disease transfer. I talk about some of the issues here:

The main three diseases you want to avoid are ich, velvet and Neobenedenia flukes. If the chaeto came from a system that had fish, but not active disease, and you are holding it in a system with no fish, 30 days is often a good compromise. It is the shortest term that I typically use.

Jay
Thanks for the tip and biosecurity write-up -- good info.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back